Remediation of a single MS1 course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahpremeds

MD class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just found out I didn't pass a single component of our patient care course by 2 points. While my average in the class is a B, I still have to pass all components and I failed a quiz by 2 points. After talking to the course director, I found out I have to remediate the quiz over the summer and if I pass, then it will show up as a P* (meaning remediated pass) on my transcript. I am high B/A student for the actual academic courses and I'm pretty disappointed. I am not sure whether this would show up on Dean's letter as I would eventually pass the remediation though I've inquired about it.

My biggest concern (like all other med students) is- how will this impact residency chances? I was really considering Rads. I have multiple research projects for the summer and will be presenting 2 posters in the fall. Other than that, I've been doing well in all of the actual Science courses. Is this remediated pass going to knock me out of decently competitive Rads programs on the East Coast?

PS- I attend a US MD school

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody will care. Your step 1 score is the only thing that matters from your first 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think such a remark on a transcript is really difficult to overcome for a speciality like Rads?

Do you guys think such a remark on a transcript is really difficult to overcome for a speciality like Rads?

upload_2018-5-26_11-41-52.png

Reactions: 9 users
What about if someone were remediating their M1 Neuroscience block?
I am confident I can remediate successfully and will try my best to make sure this is not repeated next year, but I will have an F/P listed on my transcript for this course. I'm aiming for emergency medicine, but maybe considering anesthesiology or rads.
I will try to study hard for step 1 and do well. My failure was due to study habits and not due to inability to grasp material.

I am confident I can remediate successfully and will try my best to make sure this is not repeated next year, but I will have an F/P listed on my transcript for this course. I'm aiming for emergency medicine, but maybe considering anesthesiology or rads.
I will try to study hard for step 1 and do well. My failure was due to study habits and not due to inability to grasp material.

I4bsmnb.png

Reactions: 1 users
Mistakes happen. We all have bad days and slip ups, and if you haven’t yet, you will. Life always catches up to us. Just don’t make it a habit. Do well on step and you’re good, that’s partially what it is there for (to standardize), as some school policies are harsh/lenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Mistakes happen. We all have bad days and slip ups, and if you haven’t yet, you will. Life always catches up to us. Just don’t make it a habit. Do well on step and you’re good, that’s partially what it is there for (to standardize), as some school policies are harsh/lenient.
Ok, it's good to know that I am still in the running. I was never aiming for Derm or Ortho or anything, but I'd like to still be able to consider moderately competitive specialties.

Reactions: 1 user