Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
5 inv and no rejections
nothing heard since dec 22
at least some rejections frm other programs

Members don't see this ad.

hi

Drsnh

you r leading game !!

mine is opposite 5 rejection and no interview yet...

what r your credentials..post it if you dont mind..

good luck..

not really
i knw few residents with 8-10 invs . ( not frm my program )
i am banking on the place where i did my offsite rotation, if they dont take me, i dont think i hav a chance !!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
my own stupid program didnt ( affiliation with the university ) didnt invite me.
how pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

interviewed 3, 5 coming

I think the one thing that makes all the difference as to whether you get interviews or not is visa status. In short: if you aren't a US citizen or a green card holder... good luck. You're going to need it.

well sais,
if u r an IMG, on H1B visa and from community hospital , thats it, u r carrying too much baggage fr any program to take u.
if u hav no visa issues its so easy to get any fellowships. thats top on the priority for any program. all the bull****ting abt the merit and best candidates goes under the drain.
hard truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it over ????.. no calls or e-mails since dec 21.

Dead sildence since 2 week

has any one heard from any program in chicago /detroit ??

Got another interview last week, but I expect this will be the last one.

I can't believe its over. Nothing for ages. No rejections, no interviews, nada:(

dead silence is killing me ....

called some program but still says rewiewing ..cant believe it...:oops:

another interview today University of Maryland
Rejection fro Univ. of Miami

Members don't see this ad :)
rejection from henry ford and mayo rochester

got rejection from HFH and U.Miami today

one friend from HFH told me that they already filled all position ..:p

Got another interview invite from Univ. of MD today. I don't think (or may be hoping) it's over yet.

one friend from HFH told me that they already filled all position ..:p

Doubtful. There is a psuedomatch in nephrology this year; a gentleman's agreement between the programs to allow all candidates to wait until February 1 to make their decision as to which program they select.

On a different topic, it looks like there are about 50 - 100 applicants for each fellowship position, depending on the program.

Good luck to all Nephrology applicants.

I have a question - how reputed is this journal - "Dialysis and Transplantation"? We are thinking about sending a case report to D&T and would like to know how this magazine is considered in the renal circle. I am not applying for renal fellowship and hence am not very familiar with renal journals. TIA

Thats it folks. I think the game is finally over. If Feb 1st is the pseudomatch date then I think the calls should have been sent out by now for interviewing by Jan end. I officially declare the game over. Silence will prevail...:sleep: GL
PS please post success or failures too. We will get an idea how many programs you need to interview at to match. Thank you everyone...

Lets give input, if anybody has received any offers so far.
I interviewed at 5 places, no ofers till now.
I think game is over, but where ever i interviewed, no other people got any offers, wondering who r the lucky ones.

No offers yet, but no rejections from programs I interviewed at either.

Update: Got an offer today.

same here
5 inv
no good offers
i donno wen they will start offering

I have only two interviews and somebody told me that all the interviews are already called. Is that true? Should I regard all those silences from others as rejection by now? Thanks.

Can anybody tell me, how is the wyne state university program for Nephrology fellowship.
Any inputs

has any one received offers
lets post the match results

me too 5 interviews, some phone calls from PDs, but no offers yet. I think this coming week is crucial. Good luck everyone.

:eek:
I have only two interviews and somebody told me that all the interviews are already called. Is that true? Should I regard all those silences from others as rejection by now? Thanks.

Somebody told me that the interviews are only up to Jan 30th. Is it true?

Yes it is true...in some places... just got Interview yesterday at LSU.

Has anyone gotten any offers yet ? I guess tomorrow will decide everything...Please keep posting. The game is not over yet. There are people who have interviewed at 1 place and some who have interviewed at 4-5 places. Will give day to day uptodate starting tomorrow :thumbup:

you mean to say , programs will start making offers from tomorrow!!!!!!!is there a AMG in this forum .......just wanna know how many invs and offers he/she had..........
all the best for tomorrow

6 interviews,... one to come still , one offer so far...no rejections from other interviewed programs yet. I will accept this offer ( my 1st choice). what a F@#%ing relieve... Very happy, good luck everyone.

Final result:

Stats:
  • IMG, seeking H1
  • PGY2 at a community hospital
  • Very high USMLE scores (yes, these did matter at some programs)
  • Extremely strong LoRs
  • Some research

Applied to 60 programs. Ended up getting just 3 interviews. Got one offer, fortunately at a good program (accepted).

Overall comments: Nephrology has become brutally competitive. Some programs have over 100 applicants for each fellowship position. Even in the less competitive programs, you are up against at least 50 - 70 applicants for each fellowship position. However, as always, the odds are considerably better for those who don't need a visa.

5 invs
one offer
didnt accept due to family reasons
didnt match where i thought i would always match!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am preparing to be a GP now.
It sucks !!!!!!!!!!! thats the way it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!
good luck guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys, I interviewd at 7 places and have 5 offers at present, will decide by today which program to take. Nice season finally to end. I am an IMG needs H1b and from community program.

:cool:

Interviewed at one place and accepted the offer at that place today. Bottom line- you only need one interview call and one interview to win.....
Matched at an excellent program. Would not dream of anyother place to do my fellowship. Best of luck to the rest of you. No need to return next year...

Keys to success

Accepted posters,
Excellent renowned LORs
and well prepared for the interview...

Thank you all for your support....:)

6 inv total.. 3 offers so far .. accepted in my 1st choice.. good luck everyone.

Congratulations to everyone who got a position. Bd luck for me. 3 Interviews no offers at all. Now will work as a hospitalist probably. Pls tell us which hospitals you got offers from?

2 interviews and no match. Congratulations to those who got a position.

2 intervews, no offer, game is over, will do research and part time hospitalist and apply next year. congratulations to those who matched and good luck to all of you.

After I posted my last reply...did 2 interviews... got offers from both the places. Have to make decision by tuesday. Probably Will Accept 1 of them which is a university program. Good luck to every1.

congratulations!!! does anyone know if working as a hospitalist increase the chance of getting renal fellowship? any inputs appreciated. thanks

Hi guys
does any one know anything about tulane university Nephrology program ...any info will be appreciated..
thanks

Nayan, I think working as a hospitalist does help.

hi

guys i dont know ..whats went wrong this year ..

i didnt get damn single interview...:mad:

i did all possible things i could ?

here are my credential..

1.GC
2. small community hospital . ok reputation
3. very good LOR
4.high usmle score
5. research with 3 paper accepted for ASN with name on it
6. 4 poster presentation and 2 case report.

Any way guys congrats to all who got position ..

good Lord! sounds like Neph was brutally competitive this year from your postings. Good luck to all!

Want to start Neph 2009 thread. Please join and submit your comments.

hi hurdle2kross
How r u? I am a 2nd year resident applying this year for renal fellowship. I am presently working on my personal statement and cv. I hope we can work together and help each other out. tc:)

i applied last year but didn't get matched. I just have to update my cv. i am doing research in nephrology at present.

hi
thanks for responding. can u suggest some good sites for personal statement and cvs for nephro or fellowship in general. thnx

Hi guys!
I will be applying for Nephro as well this year. I'm currently a 2nd year resident on H1 and would be interested in going into a program that sponsors H1, so i'm trying to figure out which do and which don't. Next, i'm planning to obtain the LORs.
I guess we all hope it won't be as competitive as last year!
Good luck!:)