Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
does anyone know if nephrology fellowship programs in general require any medical school documents such as transcripts or performance evaluations to send in with the application? I have the feeling that LORs (e.g. from residency program) are sufficient, or am I wrong?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi
thanks for responding. can u suggest some good sites for personal statement and cvs for nephro or fellowship in general. thnx

Hi Renovasc, I am not aware of any good site for ps/cv, sorry.

Looks like Nephrology is going for NRMP Match for year 2009.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
why do u think so? i was thinking that it is out of match

I saw that on NRMP website. ASN has to finalize it.

Hi everybody.
I joined the SDN today. Hope we can help each other in finding a fellowship spot.
Yes nephrology is going for match this year. so it means we have to wait till June to find out the results.

Can we post messages everyday and keep intouch so that we know the updates about fellowship

Hi! Im new to this forum. I am an IMG on H1B visa in a big community hospital. I have plenty of research experience (I have a PhD). Would like to share and discuss issues with nephrology application this year; particularly programs accepting H1B applicants. Im sure there are quite a bit who want to know this.
Thanks

Does anyone has suggestions on personal statements for nephrology, particularly if you do not have any prior research exp? Also, are there many programs that accept H1Bs for neph fellowship?

Hi! Im new to this forum. I am an IMG on H1B visa in a big community hospital. I have plenty of research experience (I have a PhD). Would like to share and discuss issues with nephrology application this year; particularly programs accepting H1B applicants. Im sure there are quite a bit who want to know this.
Thanks

If you google for PS we can get some suggestions from different sites about how to write a personal statement for fellowships.

Im not sure how many prgs accept H1B..its easier than sponsoring a new H1 application. Also PS are not very different than residency ones but more geared to explaining why u want to do nephrology and particularly, what research would u like to do if accepted (big prgms need this).

what kind of research experience do programs want from us? Do they expect us to come out with a paper or be involved in the work being done there.
any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank u

what kind of research experience do programs want from us? Do they expect us to come out with a paper or be involved in the work being done there.
any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank u

I'm wondering the same thing myself..I am currently participating in research related to nephrology but have not published anything or presented a poster out of it..is it even worth applying this year (especially to california programs) without any significant results of my research (still in prelim stages)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Basic research is the most valued followed by clinical or translational research in high impact journals ( I know some who have published in NEJM). Publications are the only proof that research was done and is peer reviewed. Posters also count (although not as much as papers) but prove that you participated and presented your work. Ive heard nephro is very competititive and better programs are geared towards research

I agree. What programs look for is someone who can work in their lab and produce something (in case of basic science) and same with clinical research.

I agree. What programs look for is someone who can work in their lab and produce something (in case of basic science) and same with clinical research.

So I'm assuming then it would probably be a waste of time to apply without significant research results?

Is nephrology now considered highly competitive, on par with GI and cards?

No. I am talking about mostly research oriented programs. Some clinical oriented programs don't care much for research. Job market is not good in big cities for nephrologist and it is not as competitive as card or GI. Keep your hopes high.

Hi hurdletocross,
Can u pl tell programs which are more clinically oriented
Thank u

most of the community programs are more clinically oriented. you can search on FREIDA and then go to the program website to get an idea. best would be to talk to someone in the program. hope this will help.

Thanks hurdle2kross,

we shall see how it goes this year! Hopefully things will turn out good for all of us applying!

Thank you very much hurdle2kross. Good luck to all of us

hi everyone,

did u guys start ur application process yet? Is it true that some programs are not participating in nephrology match this year

For real? I thought most if not all, were going for a match. How do we know which ones are not participating in match? Call individual programs?

You are right!! FREIDA has all the info--only some programs are going through the NRMP match..for the rest its like last year

some programs didn't update in the freida but when u call them they are saying that they are participating in the match. so we need to find out from each program we are applying.

what do you guys think about LORs? Is it better to get LORs from people who really can evaluate u even though they are junior faculty, or get one from the chair of the dept , which can be much less personal.Im caught in two minds.

hi
Does anybody know if we can get a nephrology fellowship without any research experience.
Any input will be appreciated
Thank u

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is busy with their application process. Any new news.
lets keep updated
good luck

Come on guys!! We need to be more active on this forum.. Everyone must be going throught the application process..any problems? how are the personal statements coming along?

Hi Renaldoc,
I am glad someone thought we are not active in the forum.
They received all my LOR's. I am working on PS. Any suggestions. I feel it has to be genuine and just put down what you think

Hi Nephro..I discussed with a lot of people including PDs..the PS should be no more than one page with 3 paragraphs and simple--include your long term goals, any important research you have done and why you want to do nephrology...everyone told me that PS is not as imp as it is during residency

Hi Renaldoc,

I agree with. how far has ur PS come? what about programs? I think all of them are not participating in the match? That might be a little difficult for us. what do u think?
does being board certified and working as a hospitalist help?

Some programs are not in the match but the majority of them will be (atleast a few slots). I dont think it will be a problem if you are a strong candidate..The real problem is the visa...

hi guys,
any good website for nephrology ps. Only one of my letters have reached. getting worried. How many days does it take for a email to be sent to you after they recieve the letter.:confused:

It usually takes 3-4 days to get an email from them after they receive the letters. It might depend on the volume they receive.

It usually takes 3-4 days to get an email from them after they receive the letters. It might depend on the volume they receive.

I am getting started rather late on the ERAS thing, and need some info. How will I know when my LORs reach? I thought I had to apply to at least one program to track on ADTS. Do I get an email from ERAS? I was going to apply later in November, but now maybe not. How long do they take to upload LORs once I have applied?

hey

im in the process of doing eras, and was wondering if you guys included included pertinent undergrad activities (research, volunteer stuff etc)...i didn't do much in med school in terms of volunteering and the like, and have had no extracurricular activities since starting residency...

thanks for any responses

r

hi guys
what does it mean to assign a letter to a particular specialty in the documents? Do u need to enter the specialty name in the blank box?

santa: ERAS will email you approximately a week later that they have recieved a LOR from Dr. XXX; which means they have opened it and scanned it. You can apply after Nov 15th and you can track in on ADTS after Dec 1.

I think you can include some undergraduate stuff if it makes your application strong; just the pertinent

Renovasc: I assigned them to Nephrology..Some people apply to two different subspecialties and use different LORs for each one..

thanks renaldoc,
when do u pay for the usmle transcript? I have already released it.
Do we need to send a medical school transcript and photo ?
thanks

It is good to send MSPE and photo. They cannot see the photo unless they invite you for the interview. It will then help them identify us.

I agree. I sent MSPE, transcript and photo together..Just finished my PS..I dont know when you pay for the USMLE transcript but Ive released it already...Lets see how it goes this year..

Hello All,

I am trying to decide how many programs I should be applying to. How many programs are you all applying to? Along with this number, could you also let us all in the forum know your brief profile?

For instance, I am a 3rd year resident at a community hospital and an IMG looking for H1B. I still don't know the number of programs I should apply to.

Further, I have collected the phone numbers/e-mail/web address of all the 139 nephrology programs in the country from FREIDA and have saved it as a handy html file. Let me know if anyone needs it and I will be more than happy to share.

Thanks!

hi nephro 2009
my profile-2nd year resident from community hosp. requiring J1 visa.
best of luck
:luck:

IMG, PhD from US Medical school, at a big community hospital (univ affiliated) , have H1B visa (may or maynot need H1 based on GC acceptance). Possibly applying to 30-35 prgms in Northeast

IM Board certified in 2005, small comm hospital, prior IM and Nephrology training in my country.
Came in as a J1 now finishing my J1 visa waiver (9 months left), applying as a green card now.
Applying to 70 programs and more if needed I really want this position!!!

I am a US Citizen and US Grad in a university based residency program. Not a significant amount of research at my program, but I do have 5-6 poster presentations at regional and national meetings and one abstract publication.

My questions:

1) How competitive is nephrology this year? I seem to be hearing that as a citizen and a US grad I should have no problem, not sure if I believe this

2) Anyone know of programs which have already filled with internal candidates? I heard from the ASN meeting, for example, that the University of Wisconsin program has already filled with internal candidates.

3) Anyone hear any rumors of programs still taking applicants outside the match? I have been told it is likely that programs will still offer spots outside the match and just limit the number of slots they actually place in the match.

Thanks for the help!
-renaldoc2be

That's what I heard from one program director that they will still fill some positions out of match.

Hi everybody,

How are things going? I think most of the programs are downloading applications today. Any new updates?

Received my first interview today. We shall see how it goes from there.