Repeat courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephanie210

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently a microbiology student. I'm on my third year and I have never retaken a class. I had a 4.00 GPA until I took precalculus and precalculus 2 (got a C and a D). I also have an associate degree in chemistry with a 3.76GPA, but it does not count because it was in another school. Another thing is that I had to drop a whole semester, because of economical issues, so I got like 5 W's. Anyways, I am going to retake those two courses and try to do my best. Would something like this ruin my chances of getting into med school with everything else I have? Apparently I am very bad at math, but I have straight A in my pre-med requirements. Still I think my application is going to be a disaster.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm currlently a microbiology student. I'm on my third year and I have never retaken a class. I had a 4.00 GPA until I took precalculus and precalculus 2 (got a C and a D). I also have an associate degree in chemistry with a 3.76GPA, but it does not count because it was in another school. Another thing is that I had to drop a whole semester, because of economical issues, so I got like 5 W's. Anyways, I am going to retake those two courses and try to do my best. Would something like this ruin my chances of getting into med school with everything else I have? Apparently I am very bad at math, but I have straight A in my pre-med requirements. Still I think my application is going to be a desaster.
4.0 and you can't spell disaster...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I'm currlently a microbiology student. I'm on my third year and I have never retaken a class. I had a 4.00 GPA until I took precalculus and precalculus 2 (got a C and a D). I also have an associate degree in chemistry with a 3.76GPA, but it does not count because it was in another school. Another thing is that I had to drop a whole semester, because of economical issues, so I got like 5 W's. Anyways, I am going to retake those two courses and try to do my best. Would something like this ruin my chances of getting into med school with everything else I have? Apparently I am very bad at math, but I have straight A in my pre-med requirements. Still I think my application is going to be a desaster.
When applying to med school, one must send an original official transcript from every college attended. The application service will create a new application GPA for you, and a BCPM GPA (which includes science and math), which incorporates grades from all institutions attended. All grades earned count in this calculation for AMCAS and TMDSAS schools. Only the most recent grade counts, if you retake, for AACOMAS (DO) schools. Ws do not hurt you.

Reactions: 2 users
English is my third language. I am so sorry I misspelled one word. I hope you can go on with your life.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Every college class you took, from your birth until you actually begin medical school, including Ws, repeats, etc, must be reported and count towards GPA. Even a repeat at a college that wipes out a previously must be reported and counted
2) Do not retake a class that you got a C in. Counter to what most students think, it can really only work against you. That is, now being exposed to the material you will be expected to get an A. So getting the A wont impress anyone. However, if you get less than an A, they may question that fact that you cant master the material even the second time around.
3) Unless the course with the D is required for your major or is a prereq for medical school, I wouldnt retake it.
Thanks! I think I will not be repeating the C then. I am not sure I can get an A (I really tried the first time) and even if I get an A they are giving me like an average of the two grades I got. On the other hand, I need at least a C to pass the other course so I will be repeating that one. Taking everything else in consideration, do you think I have a shot at getting into med school?