Reporting a Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinoirilax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does Pharmcas require me to list my DUI (misdemeanor) on the application? And should I talk about this in my personal statement? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Does Pharmcas require me to list my DUI (misdemeanor) on the application? And should I talk about this in my personal statement? Thanks for any input.

It's been almost a yr since I did mine, but if I am not mistaken, I think it's required. Plus if you put it on the app then I would make reference to it in your PS. I would not elaborate too much on it though because there is a character limit for your PS in PharmCAS. In your supplemental stuff, there should be an optional "Additional Info" essay that you can submit as well. I would elaborate on it then.

In general, it's always better for them to hear it from you. They WILL do a background check at some point... and something (relatively) minor like this will look a lot worse if you just 'forgot' to mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not 100% sure, but from what I remember, Pharmcas only requires that you report felonies on your application. Either way, there is a good chance that whatever school you are applying to will do a background check which will pull up anything and everything on your record. As far as mentioning it on your PS goes.. that's a tough one. I don't think it's absolutley necessary but you definitely might want to consider it. Other factors might come into considerations as well. For example, how long ago the DUI occurred..

In general, it's always better for them to hear it from you. They WILL do a background check at some point... and something (relatively) minor like this will look a lot worse if you just 'forgot' to mention it.

In what way is a DUI minor? I would definitely mention it, but know it will hinder your chances.

you probably should address this in your application but definitely NOT in your personal statement. Your personal statement should concern your motivation and desire to pursue a career in pharmacy and why you would be an asset to the profession/pharmacy schools. Therefore, addressing your DUI in your personal statement would take away from your message unless you can make it relate to your passion for pharmacy.

Almost every school has a place in the supplementary application for "additional information" and you can address it there.

Someone used to post the site in response to these questions, but there are several services out there used by school to verify their applicants. Not listing a misdemeanor, not listing a school you attended, etc, can all show up on these checks.

Regarding putting it on your PS: It depends on the prompt. My school's PS prompt said to provide additional remarks regarding any areas on your application that you feel might need further explanation. Others say simply "tell us why you want to be a pharmacist," etc.

I did say 'relatively' minor... it's not like he was out beating up homeless guys and stealing their shopping carts.

Honestly, I am under the impression that schools would rather you beat up some random homeless guy and steal his shopping cart than drive drunk. Do you know how many innocent children, women, and men are killed by idiot drunk drivers. Way to many. I know other health profession schools will basically exclude you for a DUI, so its interesting to see pharmacy is different...

Honestly, I am under the impression that schools would rather you beat up some random homeless guy and steal his shopping cart than drive drunk. Do you know how many innocent children, women, and men are killed by idiot drunk drivers. Way to many. I know other health profession schools will basically exclude you for a DUI, so its interesting to see pharmacy is different...

Neither "other health profession" schools nor pharmacy schools automatically exclude people with DUIs.

Neither "other health profession" schools nor pharmacy schools automatically exclude people with DUIs.

In FL, if you have a DUI you lose your intern license. That's it, end of the road. Or so I have been told.

Edit: We also cannot get licensed if we have a felony record of any kind. This I know to be a fact.

In FL, if you have a DUI you lose your intern license. That's it, end of the road. Or so I have been told.

Edit: We also cannot get licensed if we have a felony record of any kind. This I know to be a fact.

I know people with DUIs who got into pharmacy school in this state. I may even know a person or two who got a DUI during pharmacy school. And DUI is not always a felony. Not that I approve of getting a DUI. I absolutely don't and I absolutely judge people that do. It's selfish and reckless. We should ALL know better. But people make all kinds of mistakes and while I think they should definitely face stiff consequences, not all mistakes should be career-ending.

I know people with DUIs who got into pharmacy school in this state. I may even know a person or two who got a DUI during pharmacy school. And DUI is not always a felony. Not that I approve of getting a DUI. I absolutely don't and I absolutely judge people that do. It's selfish and reckless. We should ALL know better. But people make all kinds of mistakes and while I think they should definitely face stiff consequences, not all mistakes should be career-ending.

Oh you don't have to tell me. I am not a fan of our draconian policies here at all. Just sharing what I know. The DUI thing is separate from the felony thing, they are different policies. Like I mentioned before, I can't verify the DUI bit, that may be an urban legend (it rings true though), but the felony bit is true. I sat in a FL BOP meeting where people were denied a license because of the new law (went into effect 2010). Heartbreaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Taken from: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ph_faq.html

Q: Can a person obtain a license as a Pharmacist if they have a misdemeanor or felony crime on their record?

A:
Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The Board of Pharmacy considers the nature and severity of offenses and how recently they occurred, as well as rehabilitation and other factors. The Board cannot make a determination for approval or denial of licensure without evaluating the entire application and supporting documentation.

Taken from: http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/pharmacy/ph_faq.html

Q: Can a person obtain a license as a Pharmacist if they have a misdemeanor or felony crime on their record?

A:
Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The Board of Pharmacy considers the nature and severity of offenses and how recently they occurred, as well as rehabilitation and other factors. The Board cannot make a determination for approval or denial of licensure without evaluating the entire application and supporting documentation.

It is quite new, I am sure that the FAQ page just has not been updated. The part about misdemeanors is still accurate, it is the part about the felony that is no longer accurate.

Emphases added:

(2) Each board within the jurisdiction of the department, or the department if there is no board, shall refuse to admit a candidate to any examination and refuse to issue or renew a license, certificate, or registration to any applicant if the candidate or applicant or any principal, officer, agent, managing employee, or affiliated person of the applicant, has been:
(a) Convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a felony under chapter 409, chapter 817, chapter 893, 21 U.S.C. ss. 801-970, or 42 U.S.C. ss. 1395-1396, unless the sentence and any subsequent period of probation for such conviction or pleas ended more than 15 years prior to the date of the application;
You will notice it does not say anything about taking it on a case by case basis. If you get caught committing a felony in FL, no license for you (for 15 years at least - I forgot that part until now).

I saw people in tears because the board would not grant a license based on this law. Believe me, I wish it wasn't true.

This is meant to be helpful, not mean or snarky. If you have a felony record, contact a lawyer. It is my understanding that if you get your record sealed you will be alright when it comes time to get a license.

Last edited:
you probably should address this in your application but definitely NOT in your personal statement. Your personal statement should concern your motivation and desire to pursue a career in pharmacy and why you would be an asset to the profession/pharmacy schools. Therefore, addressing your DUI in your personal statement would take away from your message unless you can make it relate to your passion for pharmacy.

Almost every school has a place in the supplementary application for "additional information" and you can address it there.

I disagree... partly. If you can demonstrate that you have learned something significant from your errors, and discuss how it helped foster an interest in a healthcare career, then its not necessarily a bad thing to mention it in the personal statement and can be spun as a positive learning experience.

There are many things that a personal statement can be about. But one of them is that it should be UNIQUE to you and should reflect on your personal experiences which have helped get you to where you are and helped shape your goals to where you want to be.

I wouldn't spend time on a DUI in the personal statement. You get such limited space anyway and it's really your opportunity to put your best foot forward. I'd leave the DUI talk for the supplemental app and stick to, "It was a terrible mistake. I was immature and selfish and have learned my lesson. I won't make that mistake again" or something similar.

I would definitely address it in supplementals, NOT in the PS. DUI is a serious offense, but like others have said, people make mistakes and tend to be more reckless when they are young. I think I would view each circumstance differently... If a person gets a DUI at a young age and goes through all the hoops (pays fine, goes to whatever classes, etc) and matures and then goes on to whatever career/applies to school that's great. But if a pharmacy student were to get a DUI, I think I would see it differently.

I would definitely address it in supplementals, NOT in the PS. DUI is a serious offense, but like others have said, people make mistakes and tend to be more reckless when they are young. I think I would view each circumstance differently... If a person gets a DUI at a young age and goes through all the hoops (pays fine, goes to whatever classes, etc) and matures and then goes on to whatever career/applies to school that's great. But if a pharmacy student were to get a DUI, I think I would see it differently.

Agree. Putting it in the PS is a terrible idea. You get, what? 1000 words to showcase yourself? And you're gonna talk about that time you drove drunk after keg stands at the Tappa Kegga Beer frat house? And how that made you want to become a pharmacist? :laugh:

Not that adverse circumstances should never be addressed in a PS. They defintely can be, particularly if the student has overcome something substantial (a disability, serious illness, etc) or had a life changing experience that influenced their interest in healthcare. I read a PS once that centered around seeing someone die in a public place because no one knew how to help and EMS didn't arrive in time. That was compelling. DUI is not.

Same here.

PS. I guess I should clarify one thing. I have never had an issues with the law (aside from the occasional speeding ticket:rolleyes:) and so I was using my own experience regarding some other issues that I felt I should at least mention in the PS. I guess when it comes to a misdemeanor or felony, referencing (not elaborating) it on the PS may not be such a good idea, but like I and most others have said, the supp app is the best place to elaborate especially if they offer the "Additional Info" essay. Don't want to seem misleading here.

Agree. Putting it in the PS is a terrible idea. You get, what? 1000 words to showcase yourself? And you're gonna talk about that time you drove drunk after keg stands at the Tappa Kegga Beer frat house? And how that made you want to become a pharmacist? :laugh:

Not that adverse circumstances should never be addressed in a PS. They defintely can be, particularly if the student has overcome something substantial (a disability, serious illness, etc) or had a life changing experience that influenced their interest in healthcare. I read a PS once that centered around seeing someone die in a public place because no one knew how to help and EMS didn't arrive in time. That was compelling. DUI is not.

:thumbup:

It is quite new, I am sure that the FAQ page just has not been updated. The part about misdemeanors is still accurate, it is the part about the felony that is no longer accurate.

Emphases added:

(2) Each board within the jurisdiction of the department, or the department if there is no board, shall refuse to admit a candidate to any examination and refuse to issue or renew a license, certificate, or registration to any applicant if the candidate or applicant or any principal, officer, agent, managing employee, or affiliated person of the applicant, has been:
(a) Convicted of, or entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to, regardless of adjudication, a felony under chapter 409, chapter 817, chapter 893, 21 U.S.C. ss. 801-970, or 42 U.S.C. ss. 1395-1396, unless the sentence and any subsequent period of probation for such conviction or pleas ended more than 15 years prior to the date of the application

You will notice it does not say anything about taking it on a case by case basis. If you get caught committing a felony in FL, no license for you (for 15 years at least - I forgot that part until now).

I saw people in tears because the board would not grant a license based on this law. Believe me, I wish it wasn't true.

This is meant to be helpful, not mean or snarky. If you have a felony record, contact a lawyer. It is my understanding that if you get your record sealed you will be alright when it comes time to get a license.

Thanks for the info Owlegrad. I wasn't aware of this new rule. But it seems that you are at least only partially correct here. The particular statute that you cited above only list a few specific Florida chapters and U.S. codes that are now apparently ineligible for health care licensure in Florida. After doing a quick (but not completely thorough) search of these particular codes and statutes (Ch. 409, 817, 893 and U.S.C. 21 and 42 blah, blah blah), it appears that they either reference drug crimes, public health/social welfare related crimes, and crimes of fraud. So while this might cover a lot of area, it certainly leaves a wide range of felonies off the list, and is not a 'one size fits all' rule that can be applied to health care licensing and felony records.

I honestly find it a little strange that the board members/councilman or whoever picked these three particular types of crimes to exclude individuals from health care licensure. I mean assault/battery with grand larceny and you might just be OK, but commit Medicaid fraud 10 years ago and forget about it... To make it even worse, I read that those who have committed theses types of crimes outside of FL are actually Okay. It's just the FL residents who have committed these crimes in FL that will not be able to obtain a license. I don't know who the fools are that come up with this stuff, but I know that I'd be very upset if I happened to fall into one of these categories. As it turns out, I seem to be Ok :)

Last edited:
... As it turns out, I seem to be Ok :)

I am glad. I think they may have softened it up sense it was first passed (it was a big deal when it passed, doesn't seem quite so bad now), which makes me glad. It is a stupid, stupid rule. Stuff like this should be considered on a case by case basis.

Not sure how comprehensive that list of felonies really is (hapter 409, chapter 817, chapter 893, 21 U.S.C. ss. 801-970, or 42 U.S.C. ss. 1395-1396). Seems pretty long to me and I just don't have an interest in tracking all that down to figure out exactly what it covers.

? And you're gonna talk about that time you drove drunk after keg stands at the Tappa Kegga Beer frat house? And how that made you want to become a pharmacist?

Lol. Wise words. Thanks alot guys for the help, I'll definitely write it on the supp app. Yeah it was a mistake, but I just had to. My little brother was about to get jumped by a gang on my street. I'm not gonna sit around and see that happen. Good thing it wasn't a felony, just a misdemeanor. So I'm probably going to have problems with licensure in California huh? Damn. Feels like I wasted my undergrad. Sigh