Required courses to take before attempting DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedDevil202013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!
I am currently an undergrad student going into my second semester of Sophomore year and was wondering what classes I should take before taking the DAT. So far I've finished Bio 1&2, Pre-Calc, Gen Chem 1. I am taking Orgo 1 and Cell Bio this semester. What else should I take? And can I take the Dat with these classes alone? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there!
I am currently an undergrad student going into my second semester of Sophomore year and was wondering what classes I should take before taking the DAT. So far I've finished Bio 1&2, Pre-Calc, Gen Chem 1. I am taking Orgo 1 and Cell Bio this semester. What else should I take? And can I take the Dat with these classes alone? Thank you!
I don't think anybody would tell you to take the DAT without finishing bio 1/2, gen chem 1/2, and orgo 1/2. Upper level science classes help as well. You have time, don't rush.

Hello there!

Probably Genetics will help. Botany or Zoology is also helpful (didn't take but did fine on DAT). Theres a lot of that on the bio section.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no "required" courses to take the DAT. However, some "suggested" courses are: gen chem sequence, orgo sequence, intro bio sequence, physiology, pre-calc (if not completed in high school). I wish they tested on physics.

If you take biology 1/2, general chemistry 1/2, and organic chemistry 1/2 you have the needed classes under your belt before going into your DAT studying. Preparing for this test requires studying outside of these classes and having a foundation before this is really helpful; using review materials will help polish these skills and likely lead to higher scores. Upper level bio may help, but if you have those classes and prepare with the proper resources, you should be able to take it whenever you feel "ready" (if that's possible) no matter what additional classes you have taken. Best of luck!

2 semesters of bio and 2 semesters of chem for sure are needed. I would recommend also doing both orgo 1 and 2 before the test. I took the DAT after orgo 1, which is totally doable, but a few of the reactions and reagents I saw on the test were covered subsequently in orgo 2.

Only the general reqs are necessary. The upper courses may help, but everything on the DAT will be covered in the review materials. The upper sciences may even hurt you by going way too in depth and straying your mind away from the required material.