Rescheduling interview the Day of, How bad does it look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My car recently broke down, and there is no way I can get it fixed before my 8 am interview tomorrow and get there in time. The interview is at my state MD school, and they are know for being unforgiving. I am from a very poor family, first generation college students, and I am one of the few people in my family that has a car. Nobody else in my family really has a reliable car. I will call tomorrow and see if I can reschedule.

Members don't see this ad.

My car recently broke down, and there is no way I can get it fixed before my 8 am interview tomorrow and get there in time. The interview is at my state MD school, and they are know for being unforgiving. I am from a very poor family, first generation college students, and I am one of the few people in my family that has a car. Nobody else in my family really has a reliable car. I will call tomorrow and see if I can reschedule.

Could you take a taxi? I think paying the extra cost is a lot better than potentially losing the chance to interview.

Could you take a taxi? I think paying the extra cost is a lot better than potentially losing the chance to interview.

There are no Taxi here. I'm in rural Mississippi.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no Taxi here. I'm in rural Mississippi.

You don't have a friend in the area? o_O

Like... it's the most important thing you're going to do all year. Even if they have to miss work, it's worth asking. Hell, I'll bet a neighbor you've never met would borrow you a car for this.

You don't have a friend in the area? o_O

Like... it's the most important thing you're going to do all year. Even if they have to miss work, it's worth asking. Hell, I'll bet a neighbor you've never met would borrow you a car for this.

I have begged everybody I know. Just another one of those moments when I wonder why me, why did I have to be born in this family.

I have begged everybody I know. Just another one of those moments when I wonder why me, why did I have to be born in this family.

I think you're up a creek, then. Explain your situation as best you can and apologize profusely. Do it over the phone. Nobody has empathy via emails.

Are there any towns nearby? I'm sure you could find a taxi service willing to come to you.

Otherwise, you better start walking now +pity+

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any towns nearby? I'm sure you could find a taxi service willing to come to you.

Sure ill walk 150 miles. Im in RURAL MISSISSIPPI.

Dude are you kidding with this response after reading what OP wrote? How is that helpful at all?

@OP, seriously, call them ASAP. Explain your situation. Admissions staff are actually people, you know. Despite all you hear about how unforgiving they are, I am willing to bet there is someone there who can understand your situation.

I mean given that it's 11 pm you're going to have to just call and try your best to reschedule. Life happens and I hope they will be understanding.

But at the same time...rental car? Anything else you can try?

No car rental places are open overnight unless they're at a major airport, none of which exist in rural Mississippi. No chance he could get a rental early enough.

How long ago did it break down?

No car rental places are open overnight unless they're at a major airport, none of which exist in rural Mississippi. No chance he could get a rental early enough.

It broke down around 7pm. Ill call tomorrow at 7:45 am, and hopefully I can reschedule. This is my only MD interview. I have a few DO interviews in Jan.

Well, I guarantee that you aren't the first person whose car broke down and prevented them from attending an interview.

I'd send an email to admissions now explaining the situation and that you'll call in the morning to speak with someone. Then call early, and keep calling until someone answers. Explain to whomever your situation and that you sent an email the night before. Then, graciously ask if you can possibly reschedule.

I hope it works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call and leave a message now if there is a voicemail. Also email. Someone may check either outside of work hours (especially on the morning of an interview day). Be polite. Say you are looking into alternatives and will do your best to make it to your interview tomorrow, and that you will call in the morning to update them on your status. Double check any info sent for your interview day to see if there is a contact person for "if you cannot attend" or "if you have an unexpected emergency". Sometimes there is a cellphone number included so that you can reach staff when they might be away from the phone (welcoming interviewees, etc.).

Keep trying to see if you can find an alternative resolution to the problem in the meantime.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Just try to remain calm and stay professional when you talk to anybody/everybody -- when you write the email reinforce that you are very interested in their program and would eagerly adjust your schedule for an alternative interview date but understand if they are unable to offer that to you (humility!), and thank them for their time and consideration.

This is not the first time this has happened to somebody if this program was within driving distance of rural Mississippi, and I cannot imagine them refusing to give you an another chance. Let us know what happens!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No buses run through rural Mississippi?

Also you have to be 25 to rent a car.

Also you have to be 25 to rent a car.

This is not true. Most rental companies will rent to people 21-24 with a young driver surcharge.
If you are younger than that, you can rent from some companies as long as you have someone older to co-sign the rental.

If you really live in Delaware at the moment, you might want to know that in fact in NY the car companies aren't allowed to prevent any licensed driver 18+ from renting.

Hard to imagine there isn't a neighbor (even one you barely know) who wouldn't be able to drive you for some arranged $ amount. But if you have to reschedule, do what you've gotta do.

This sort of thing happens. How to handle it well:

1) Call the admissions office ASAP and let them know your situation. They just might be able to help you, and even if they can't then they at least know what's going on and can let people know so that they don't waste their time.

2) If you don't reach the office by phone, send them an email with a phone number to reach you along with yhr into in step 1.

3) Do everything you can to make the interview, but if you can't make it then you can't make it. As long as you have a reasonable explanation, a school is not going to hold it against you and should reschedule.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I called the admissions office today at 8:00 am and the receptionist said she will talk to the dean and see what he says then call me back.

I called the admissions office today at 8:00 am and the receptionist said she will talk to the dean and see what he says then call me back.

Hoping for the best for you!

So I just called and got it rescheduled for 12/3. That was relatively painless, I didn't sleep at all last night:scared:. Scenarios kept running through my head I had a dream like the dean said "well if you can't come in today don't bother coming at all" but he's actually a nice guy.

Reactions: 16 users
So I just called and got it rescheduled for 12/3. That was relatively painless, I didn't sleep at all last night:scared:. Scenarios kept running through my head I had a dream like the dean said "well if you can't come in today don't bother coming at all" but he's actually a nice guy.

;)

In all situations where **** begins to hit the fan, step 1 is remain calm and use your noggin.

Best of luck.

Yay! Congrats! :D

This is not true. Most rental companies will rent to people 21-24 with a young driver surcharge.
If you are younger than that, you can rent from some companies as long as you have someone older to co-sign the rental.

If you really live in Delaware at the moment, you might want to know that in fact in NY the car companies aren't allowed to prevent any licensed driver 18+ from renting.
Yup, this is what I had to do for the GRE, since (at least at the time I was taking it) there were no places in Ithaca, NY that offered it. You know, since there aren't that many people in Ithaca that want to go to grad school...:rolleyes:
The surcharge was something like $100 on the $20 rental, but it was still better than the bus.

OP, glad to hear you got things worked out!

Yup, this is what I had to do for the GRE, since (at least at the time I was taking it) there were no places in Ithaca, NY that offered it. You know, since there aren't that many people in Ithaca that want to go to grad school...:rolleyes:
The surcharge was something like $100 on the $20 rental, but it was still better than the bus.

OP, glad to hear you got things worked out!

Preposterous! With two large colleges?

Now you're gonna have to update this thread post-interview to let us know how it went!

Overall, people in this process are not out to get you. I know that admissions as a whole is a brutal process, but people don't *usually* choose to interact with nervous college students or become a dean in education to torture applicants and students.

Back when this was done on paper, my dad's post-waistlist-acceptance from UCSF got into a box of bills and bank statements. He found it long after the deadline to accept the offer when he was packing up to return to working in a mine with the rest of the men in his family. The weekend he spent wondering what would happen when he called the school on Monday has turned into one of those annoying tales he tells and re-tells whenever he runs into someone about to give up on an application to something.
I hope you get into your program and that this can become a funny story to annoy your kids with one day.

Reactions: 2 users

Write a very nice thank-you note, preferably a real, physical letter. Glad to hear everything turned out fine!

Reactions: 2 users
Back when this was done on paper, my dad's post-waistlist-acceptance from UCSF got into a box of bills and bank statements. He found it long after the deadline to accept the offer when he was packing up to return to working in a mine with the rest of the men in his family.

Did your dad not apply to any safety schools? Crazy that he seemed to go the "UCSF or bust" approach, unless I'm missing something here.

To be honest, if a school had that kind of attitude and was so unaccommodating towards your situation, I definitely wouldn't go to that school even if they accepted me and gave me a full ride. I mean, what does that say for the actual med school itself? How unaccommodating would the administration be towards their students?

Did your dad not apply to any safety schools? Crazy that he seemed to go the "UCSF or bust" approach, unless I'm missing something here.

That things didn't work the same 40 years ago. :rolleyes:
People didn't use to apply to dozens of schools, because it wasn't feasible. There was nothing like SDN to advise first generation college students who lived in rural areas where nobody else was going through the process.
That said, of course he applied to more schools -- he didn't get any other acceptances.

Write a very nice thank-you note, preferably a real, physical letter. Glad to hear everything turned out fine!

This, enthusiastically this! Thank you notes are distressingly rare, and this note, much more than most, is both appropriate and noteworthy.
This note may make a difference in your application.

Reactions: 1 users