Rescinded chance? Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zempa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was over ambitious and decided to take P chem 2, biochem 2, human phys, genetics, anatomy and a thesis class in my 2nd term senior yr (after being accepted to medical school). I am now doing poorly my breakdown is as follows:

Genetics: D
biochem: B+/A-
P chem 2: B+/A-
anatomy: B
human phys: C+
thesis: C+

My question is how do I proceed from here? Is it ok to drop a class (and take a W), should I call the school? I am really stressing and need any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I was over ambitious and decided to take P chem 2, biochem 2, human phys, genetics, anatomy and a thesis class in my 2nd term senior yr (after being accepted to medical school). I am now doing poorly my breakdown is as follows:

Genetics: D
biochem: B+/A-
P chem 2: B+/A-
anatomy: B
human phys: C+
thesis: C+

My question is how do I proceed from here? Is it ok to drop a class (and take a W), should I call the school? I am really stressing and need any advice.

Yikes... What's going on in genetics? Make the C's into at least B- and you will be okay there. That D though is going to raise eyebrows. A W is better than a D. You can at least give the school a lie about why you withdrew. You can say "well, I was interviewing or attending second look during an exam and I thought it was more important to check out the school."

Yikes... What's going on in genetics? Make the C's into at least B- and you will be okay there. That D though is going to raise eyebrows. A W is better than a D. You can at least give the school a lie about why you withdrew. You can say "well, I was interviewing or attending second look during an exam and I thought it was more important to check out the school."

I have a strong feeling I can raise genetics and the thesis class, at the same time I feel that P chem 2 may fall; would it be prudent to contact the school and ask their opinion/try to explain my situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a strong feeling I can raise genetics and the thesis class, at the same time I feel that P chem 2 may fall; would it be prudent to contact the school and ask their opinion/try to explain my situation?

Well, you won't have to do anything additional if you can get all your grades up to at least a B-. You won't get a rescinded acceptance unless you get D or F... usually. I think any C grades will require a written explanation, but I don't think there are any consequences for that.

I kinda wanna make the point that a D or F doesn't automatically make your acceptance rescinded...

Take one W, work harder, stop stressing.

I kinda wanna make the point that a D or F doesn't automatically make your acceptance rescinded...

Take one W, work harder, stop stressing.

Wouldn't that raise eyebrows? Would I have to contact the school before doing this?

Does your acceptance letter state minimum grades for current/future courses??

IF NOT, call and ask!! Most likely they want Cs and better. Once you know what the requirement is, then act accordingly. If it's =/> C then withdraw from Genetics..

Do ur best henceforth...

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying or what not but can you please explain your reasoning..although I really do appreciate all of this help!

I just figured since when you're applying they make it a point to have you explain the W's/D's etc. so I thought the same would apply here.

It never ceases to amaze me how many premeds think lying is the way to go in various situations.

Lying is NEVER the right path to follow. You are entering a profession. This is Day One for the rest of your life.

Lying is not an option, EVER.

On your question, if you decide to take a W and find that you have a need to explain it, tell them you were doing poorly in the course because you overextended yourself and decided to drop it.

Take the W in Genetics or one class you know you can't get a C in.

It's okay to make a C or two, just don't make all C's and a W. I would hope that all C's wouldn't get your acceptance rescinded, since you did what you needed to get your degree - but don't take that risk and try getting mainly Bs. A couple Cs in your last semester shouldn't make it or break it.

I actually took my first W this semester because I wanted to take less classes and this one class was just annoying.

It never ceases to amaze me how many premeds think lying is the way to go in various situations.

Lying is NEVER the right path to follow. You are entering a profession. This is Day One for the rest of your life.

Lying is not an option, EVER.
You were humming "Kumbaya" while typing this, weren't you. :rolleyes:

I, too, would take the W in genetics and just hammer home everything else. If your school requires you to have genetics, take it over the summer or at a CC or something.

Why lie about taking a W?

"I withdrew from my Genetics course because I was overambitious and could not keep up with my courseload. Once I dropped the course I was better able to focus on my other classes and achieve high marks"

Isn't that what you said above OP? Perfectly reasonable, IMO.

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying or what not but can you please explain your reasoning..although I really do appreciate all of this help!

I just figured since when you're applying they make it a point to have you explain the W's/D's etc. so I thought the same would apply here.

I'm really confused as to why you seem to think W's and D's are the same thing. They're not. Two different letters. Two different meanings. W isn't a big deal.

Edit: I realized I still didn't explain it. Mostly because it would be like me trying to explain why getting a B in genetics wouldn't stop you from being rescinded. It just won't. There's nothing about a W that will cause the school to rescind you. There's nothing about it that will raise eyebrows. You didn't want to complete the class because you had other stuff going on. You didn't fail it. You didn't D it.

I do not think that a "w" would be the end of the world. Better that than get a D. Also, I would suggest calling anonymously to the school and asking. Good luck :)

Why lie about taking a W?

"I withdrew from my Genetics course because I was overambitious and could not keep up with my courseload. Once I dropped the course I was better able to focus on my other classes and achieve high marks"

Isn't that what you said above OP? Perfectly reasonable, IMO.

Totally agree. I never understood why so many premeds try so hard to appear "perfect" when all they end up doing is displaying their immaturity. Well, I understand the phenomenon, but it's unfortunate.

Take the W, work harder, go to medical school. Call the school, make sure we're not wrong.

Ok so now I'm slightly more relieved but I guess I have a similar question which is if I take a W in a class that prevents me from getting a BS and I get a BA instead - would that be frowned upon?

while the SDN advice is sound, these are really questions you need to be asking the school's admissions office. get on the phone tomorrow and discuss the situation, because every school's policy is different. UVA, for example, explicitly states any C's need to be explained in writing, while anything below a C will cause automatic re-evaluation of your application.

Ok so now I'm slightly more relieved but I guess I have a similar question which is if I take a W in a class that prevents me from getting a BS and I get a BA instead - would that be frowned upon?

:rolleyes:

people in med schools have all kinds of degrees. i have a BA. i also have lots of C's and W's on my transcript and two acceptances.

i dont know, the overall impression i got through this app cycle is that schools are so backed up they probably wouldn't notice or care unless you do something major, like fail all your classes or get a DUI. i would bet you 20 bucks no one will ever notice if you get a BA instead of a BS. and even though you may have to 'explain' a C at some schools i would be shocked if someone actually got an acceptance rescinded over one.

people in med schools have all kinds of degrees. i have a BA. i also have lots of C's and W's on my transcript and two acceptances.

i dont know, the overall impression i got through this app cycle is that schools are so backed up they probably wouldn't notice or care unless you do something major, like fail all your classes or get a DUI. i would bet you 20 bucks no one will ever notice if you get a BA instead of a BS. and even though you may have to 'explain' a C at some schools i would be shocked if someone actually got an acceptance rescinded over one.

I agree, I think it's pretty clearly a tactic to make sure you don't fall off the wagon less than 6 months before starting med school. That said, it has worked pretty well on me...it's not really a letter I want to be writing.

Just $20? I would bet OP $50 that no one will care if he has BA instead of a BS. As long as you graduate and "pass" (in most cases that means getting at least a C) the classes you are enrolled in, you will be able to matriculate.