Research assistant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fang

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few research activities to list on ERAS, and was wondering if an appropriate title for my position would be "research assistant".

The research was done as a medical student, without funding-- basically I was volunteering my time to help as an assistant.

Does the term "research assistant" imply a loftier position, such as a paid appointment or graduate student?

If so, what's a better title?

"laboratory assistant" sounds like igor... "student researcher"? ... "medical student"? ???

Members don't see this ad.

i used the term research assistant on my app. as long as you assisted with research, you can't go wrong.

I used the term "student research assistant" for my unpaid research experience. I kind of thought "student" helped imply that I wasn't really employed or doing anything overly significant.

I agree with student research assistant maybe instead of just research assistant. I was one, but I got paid. Like others have said, it probably doesn't matter much since it's in the research section. In contrast, I listed mine in the work experience because I was paid and my actual job title was research assistant.