Research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jens825

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started my Undergrad in psych with pre-med reqs, and I am planning on going into psychiatry (long ways away I know, but that's the goal). I am doing psychology as pre-med, but also as a backup for grad school and hopefully clinical psychology. There are research opportunities that I have right now relating to pediatric psychology and psychological disorders, and I was wondering if that would be any good for med school, or if other research opportunities would be better. I know it would be great for grad school, but is it also helpful for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

As long that research requires you to think critically, it should be a okay. Just make sure you are practicing the scientific method and not just doing data entry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

As long that research requires you to think critically, it should be a okay. Just make sure you are practicing the scientific method and not just doing data entry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Huge point!! Don't do data entry the whole time in the lab. That's primarily what they take undergrads for, but you need to continuously ask for more opportunities to get involved in the actual research.

Huge point!! Don't do data entry the whole time in the lab. That's primarily what they take undergrads for, but you need to continuously ask for more opportunities to get involved in the actual research.
That's so true! You know you're at the bottom when you're the one primarily doing the data entry or cell counts. But there will be times in the future (if you stick with research) when you'll have to roll up your sleeves and do those things yourself (when you don't have assistance) or teach someone else, so it'll still be time used productively.

It truly does not matter what field your research is in (perhaps moreso for medical school than graduate school in clinical psych), just that it is meaningful and genuinely interesting to you. Once you get acclimated with whichever opportunity you choose, I recommend that you try to advocate for yourself to be involved in data analysis, literature review, preparation of reports, research design, etc. because these are more valuable and progressive skills for the long-term.