This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrbitalOverload

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I was recently offered an opportunity to conduct some clinical research in a 'slum' in India where I previously lived and volunteered before coming to medical school this year. The four week slot is basically a tabula rasa, and I am trying to think about the most feasible and useful research question to answer. Since I am interested in surgery, I would like to research something relating to the field. I would have access to a translator and the slum has 200K people.

Is this worth doing and does anyone have any suggestions about research topics?

Thank you!

Orbital

Members don't see this ad.

I'll leave the decision as to whether it's worth doing up to you but the recognition of surgical services as being an integral part of global public health is a hot topic.

I'm particularly interested in reducing mortality related to the lack of "essential surgery" (eg, setting fractures, c-sections, abscess I&D, appys etc).

You might find this provides some avenue of projects/thought research for you:
https://openknowledge.worldbank.org...1568/9781464803468.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y (link to free download Essential Surgery by Debas et al which discusses such things)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'll leave the decision as to whether it's worth doing up to you but the recognition of surgical services as being an integral part of global public health is a hot topic.

I'm particularly interested in reducing mortality related to the lack of "essential surgery" (eg, setting fractures, c-sections, abscess I&D, appys etc).

You might find this provides some avenue of projects/thought research for you:
https://openknowledge.worldbank.org...1568/9781464803468.pdf?sequence=5&isAllowed=y (link to free download Essential Surgery by Debas et al which discusses such things)

Thank you! I'll definitely check out that link when I get a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Winged Scapula reading this through for the first time now. This is incredibly helpful. My research interest is in congenital anomalies and this section detailing research priorities in congenital anomalies for low income communities is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

@Winged Scapula reading this through for the first time now. This is incredibly helpful. My research interest is in congenital anomalies and this section detailing research priorities in congenital anomalies for low income communities is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
I'm glad you found it helpful.