Research in PS...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nlyoung

HottyToddy!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal. I've got extensive research experience - 2.5 years in a lab, contributed to a paper (the topic of my thesis), summer paid research at a prestigious university, and am currently working in the Forensic Chem lab for the FBI/DEA. My PS, however, addresses my passion for primary healthcare and public policy. It says nothing about research b/c I wanted it to have a common theme and reflect my primary interests. The research, however, is written about in detail in work/activities. I will also be getting LORs from the dean of the chem dept., my PI, and my Forensic lab supervisor. Is this okay in showing my research involvement or should is it a mistake to not play it up in my PS? Will it hurt my chances for top 20 research schools? Thanks, ya'll.

Members don't see this ad.

nlyoung said:
So here's the deal. I've got extensive research experience - 2.5 years in a lab, contributed to a paper (the topic of my thesis), summer paid research at a prestigious university, and am currently working in the Forensic Chem lab for the FBI/DEA. My PS, however, addresses my passion for primary healthcare and public policy. It says nothing about research b/c I wanted it to have a common theme and reflect my primary interests. The research, however, is written about in detail in work/activities. I will also be getting LORs from the dean of the chem dept., my PI, and my Forensic lab supervisor. Is this okay in showing my research involvement or should is it a mistake to not play it up in my PS? Will it hurt my chances for top 20 research schools? Thanks, ya'll.

I dont know if you're making a mistake or not but I would be happy to show you my PS and how I incorporated all of the above including my research, if you'd like. In my opinion, I don't think its bad to not include it if you're putting it in AAMCAs activities, but if you really want to include it, I'm sure there is a way to effectively put it in without screwing up the flow of your PS.

rugirlie said:
I dont know if you're making a mistake or not but I would be happy to show you my PS and how I incorporated all of the above including my research, if you'd like. In my opinion, I don't think its bad to not include it if you're putting it in AAMCAs activities, but if you really want to include it, I'm sure there is a way to effectively put it in without screwing up the flow of your PS.

That would be really helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
nlyoung said:

Be careful about not expressing such a significant experience in the document that is supposed to show your motivation to become a physician via your track record. I would highly recommend putting it into your PS. While it is true that people with little research exp do get into top 20s, I think a person with such great research experience who neglects to mention it will definitely draw big question marks. Hell, some may may interview you just to ask you that question! Go ahead and include it. Don't dwell, just include it and submit ASAP. PM if you need another reader. Good luck!

I have a similar background and i didn't say anything about research in PS. But i'm saying alot in the secondary because some schools ask "If you were involved in research, please explain"

So you have other parts of your packet to shine your extensive research experience. Dont incorporate everything about ur life into your PS like others have suggested.

I'm really grateful for the research experience, but I'm involved in so much it has been hard for me stop my PS from sounding like a laundry list of activities. Are top 20 research schools apprehensive about taking on students that are primarity interested in public policy? The reason I did the research was to be sure I didn't want a career of it.... I shouldn't be penalized for knowing what I want.