Research opportunities in Psych as a post-bacc student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LlamasUnitee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated college in May and have moved back home to study for the GRE. After I finish, I'm going to take a gap year and work. During that time I'd like to do research in the town I'm in, preferably in a university (there are three universities around me that have psych phd programs, also I graduated from a university 6 hours away so I can't go back to my alma mater and do research there).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated college in May and have moved back home to study for the GRE. After I finish, I'm going to take a gap year and work. During that time I'd like to do research in the town I'm in, preferably in a university (there are three universities around me that have psych phd programs, also I graduated from a university 6 hours away so I can't go back to my alma mater and do research there).
Try seeing if there are paid research positions. They can be difficult to obtain but worth it if you can snag one. Otherwise, there are labs that take non-matriculated post-baccalaureate volunteer research assistants, so you should be able to get some research experience. Ask if you'll eventually have opportunities to present at conferences.

What sorts of research would you like to do?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone,

I agree with the previous post, at this point the best thing to do would likely be to contact the labs at the universities in the town you are in to see if they have any research positions open. Start with the ones that are most relevant to your research interests, but any research experience is good research experience as you prepare to apply to PhD programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try seeing if there are paid research positions. They can be difficult to obtain but worth it if you can snag one. Otherwise, there are labs that take non-matriculated post-baccalaureate volunteer research assistants, so you should be able to get some research experience. Ask if you'll eventually have opportunities to present at conferences.

What sorts of research would you like to do?

Thanks for the reply! I have previous research done in my alma mater that was cancer related but not psychology related. I would like to get into research which is psychology related, perhaps something in experimental psychology. When looking for these positions, do you recommend me emailing the prof/researcher or going to their office directly?

Thanks for the reply! I have previous research done in my alma mater that was cancer related but not psychology related. I would like to get into research which is psychology related, perhaps something in experimental psychology. When looking for these positions, do you recommend me emailing the prof/researcher or going to their office directly?

Definitely e-mail first.