Research Publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlameItOnTheOH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK guys here it goes....back in my junior year of college (2006-2007) I did some "research" with my genetics professor at the time....basically comparing DNA sequences from fish from different rivers to see how related the different species were (yawn)....Now I say "research" because I would cut up the little guys, grind tissue, purify DNA, run PCR/gels and such....but I never actually understood the project too well (or at all). When I would get results, he would look at them and say "OK, just repeat the whole thing with twice as much sample" etc...Rinse and repeat..I realize this is definitely research experience, but I mean, my role was definitely not as the researcher. Is this it okay still to list on AMCAS? Research is not my thing, and I'm worried they will ask me lots of questions about it I don't know the answers to! I have many other things on my app that I will want to talk about :)

Next...the prof I worked with told me at the time that I was listed as a co-author on his pub. I googled it, and I am listed as a co-author, yet I can only read the abstract online and, well, I dont even really understand it. This guy is writing an LOR for me and I feel like he may mention the pub....Should I ask him for a copy of the pub or is that weird/look lame because its now 4 years later and I never cared enough about it to ask at the time? Just being honest here. Thanks for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Which journal is it in? If you want, you can PM me and see if my school has a subscription to that journal. Then I can download the PDF for you and email it to you or something.

Definitely a huge plus on your application - no doubt about that. Make sure you fully understand the research before you interview though. Understanding the stuff is more important than the specific type of work you did, although coming up with your own input into the project would have been nicer.

I agree with you that you did do "research" but no one will know the difference when you apply. The bottom line is that you got a paper publication out of it for your hard work, but because you got a paper pub out of it.. this might come back at you during your interviews. Interviewers might ask you questions pertaining to your experience and your insights gained etc. from your time during research. You've gotta be prepared at answering these questions.

I suspect that you can't access your article because you don't have access to journals. I'd go to a local public university that has a science division for bio research (this usually ensure that the school would have access to bio journals) and use their computers to find your article and download/send to yourself. Other than using a public university computer... you could buy it from the journal or you could use some sort of program offered by your university to access journal articles from off campus.

Best of luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
If you list this in on your application you need to be able to describe the project. You will be asked about it, and you will need to describe the project, including your hypotheses, experiments, and results.

It will be a major disservice to your admission chances if you are not able to intelligently discuss your project.

FYI, stating 'research is not your thing' or 'the professor would just tell me what to do' are not ideas you want to convey. Avoid these sorts of statements if possible and describe what you did as if you instigated it (ie: "I did these experiments because" instead of "I gave the professor the results and then he told me to..." Both are true, and clearly the former is superior).

This is definitely research. Get a copy of your publication. Read it in detail. Learn it. 8 hours of intense studying will magically transform your menial labor into involved research experience that you can cite for the rest of your life. Invest some time in your future.

This is definitely research. Get a copy of your publication. Read it in detail. Learn it. 8 hours of intense studying will magically transform your menial labor into involved research experience that you can cite for the rest of your life. Invest some time in your future.

Agreed. A very simple solution to this problem.

Geez, I had to fight tooth-and-nail to be included as an author, and I practically lived and breathed research for over two years.

Lucky!

Thanks for your replies. I apologize because since I have been in the clinical world since my research back in 06, I'm really not sure how the whole publication thing works. I am kind of confused now as to whether or not a publication actually exists, ha. As far as googling goes, I see my name listed as a co-author on a PRESENTATION given my prof...but can't actually find any publication. Like I mentioned, my research experience occurred several years ago and now I'm kind of second guessing whether he had said I am listed as a co-author for a publication or just a presentation. He's a cool guy, so I think this is something probably talk to him about.

http://www.asih.org/files/abstracts_2007_daniel_to_huysentruyt.pdf

Do you think if my name is listed as a co-author here, the presentation would be something I would list as an "activity" for amcas? I am pretty familiar with the topic but plan to refresh my memory :) a bit more....

And to Stigma....This is SDN, not AMCAS. Just because I am mentioning that research is not my thing and am being honest about what my research experience entailed, does not mean that I would ever "convey" that to adcoms or that I didn't learn a lot/appreciate the experience. Thanks for your concern.

These threads are advice to everyone who reads them, so in response I try to be encompassing. Readers include people in high school through college graduates, and many of these people do not know the slightest bit about what should be expected in research or how to pursue higher learning. I did not mean to imply that you would not present yourself well, but I did mean to convey to everyone who reads this some basic information (which I knew you likely already understood). Sorry for sounding patronizing in the previous post.

Sorry for sounding patronizing in the previous post.

everyones happy now....

to the OP, agreed, read a few of his papers to get a general feel for the direction of research, and if hes a cool guy ask him if you're listed on a paper and to explain it if he could. and if not, have him explain a similar one. take some notes and that should be fine. if you only did this for a short time any interviewer will understand your limited role (unless you state otherwise) and will only expect 1) what the main objective was, and 2) what your role was in this. Unfortunately for those of us without advanced degrees, its a bit difficult to find PI's that actually trust you to pursue your own project, thus you do the tedious/PCR work. but this too is essential and is considered research, as there are thousands of students who apply having never set foot in a lab. so kudos.

Thank you all so much for the responses...time to research my research!