research summer before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arns51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few of the schools ive interviewed at mentioned that if accepted I could do research the summer before entering dental school.

Has anybody done this, would they recomend it? Anybody planning on doing it? I think it would be a great experience and really look good if you plan to specialize. I just dont know if I could give up one of my last summers with my friends.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by arns51
A few of the schools ive interviewed at mentioned that if accepted I could do research the summer before entering dental school.

Which schools were those?

OSU and UMaryland

Members don't see this ad :)
I did research at my school before I matriculated. It shouldn't really take up too much of your time depending on your project, and it's a good chance to talk to students and faculty about things you're wondering. I'm not planning on specializing, but I'm glad I did it.

man, a boring summer of research? if you're really interested in specializing, go for it. otherwise, relax. take a trip, work at best buy or banana republic. after 2nd year, you won't get a summer break in your life...EVER AGAIN.