Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

residencies---allo

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DO it right, Apr 29, 2004.

1. DO it right

7+ Year Member

Hi everybody...

I heard that if you want to apply to allo residencies as well you have to take the allo board exam in addition to the osto board exams (6 exams total)? can anyone verify this for me. I appreciate every response that I can get. Also, how bad is it if you don't have a rec. letter from a physician? I heard some schools such as PCOM only recommend it but don't require it. I have volunteered at hospital for couple years, but I doubt if any of the doctors know me at that level. oh...last thing...I'm in ca, which schools do you guys recommend me to apply to? what should I look for? Thanx :scared: :confused:

2. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To answer your question in a simple way...

1.) No, you don't have to sit for the allo. boards to be eligible for MOST allo. residencies.

2.) Some allo. programs don't care

3.) Some allo. programs suggest that D.O.'s take the USMLE

4.) Some allo. programs strongly suggest that D.O.'s take the USMLE

5.) Some allo. programs require that ALL applicants have taken the USMLE

On a side note, most D.O. students who choose to take the USMLE only take step I. It's step I that gets most into their residencies b/c step II hasn't been taken yet or was just taken.

3. biodork444

biodork444 Member
    7+ Year Member

really? I thought you HAD to take them or maybe it's just a good idea?

4. DORoe

DORoe BWAAA HAAA HAAA
    7+ Year Member

All I can tell you about your board exam question is that I don't think that HAVE to take the USMLE to get an allopathic residency, but I have read a lot of posts where it is recommended. I may be wrong about this though so feel free to correct me. Perhaps this question would be better addressed in the Osteo forum as they have more experience. The rec letter is pretty important from what I gather. I know that schools really want you to have a DO letter so they can see that you have investigated the profession. Do you have to have it? No, but like many other things in the application process it is a plus. Try calling a PCP or some other doc that works at the hospital that you volunteered at and ask if you can shadow. A lot of docs will help you out (BTW a DO would be prefered for this). Since you live in Cali I would apply to COMP, TUCOM, and at some of the private schools as well. These schools include LECOM, AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, UHS, KCOM, UNE (although this might be too far away for you), NSU (again pretty far away), PCSOM (in KY), sorry if i missed any. Of course if a state school appeals to you don't hesitate to apply. Sure it's harder to get in, but if you like the school give it a shot. As for what to look for, that is a personal thing. Here is what I looked for.... 1) Personal experience: I knew doc's from the schools (with the exception of PCSOM) and were able to talk to them about the school. 2) Location: This was pretty important to me. I am very close with my family and I would like to be able to see them on a regular basis 3) Visit: I visited the schools that I applied to. This provided me with a basic understanding of what the school is like. In other words, my overall impression. 4) Cost: My grandma always said, "Ain't nobody happy if you ain't got a pot to p*ss in" Of course you will make good money as a doc even if you incure a pretty substantial debt it is easier all around if you can avoid it. 5) Match list: Always nice to see where others from the school have went on to do, but honestly this was a very small part of my thought process.

Good luck to you in your decision process.

5. DO it right

7+ Year Member

Thanx alot everybody for taking time to respond....I really appreciate it. :love:

6. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't know it was optional to take them and still apply to an MD residency. I would say, if you do plan on a MD residency that you should take them to make yourself more competitive. That way they can compare your scores to others who are applying. With only the COMLEX, you are comparing apples to oranges in terms of the differences on the tests.

At VCOM they require their students to take both. Are there any other schools now that require both tests for graduation?

You need a letter form either a DO or an MD. Some schools will take the MD letter in lieu of the DO letter, but I would highly recommend if you are applying to DO schools that you find a way to shadow a DO or interview with one in order to obtain that letter. I feel it is an important part of the DO application and it helps to show a heightened interest in the DO profession.

Good luck

7. VALSALVA

VALSALVA sh*t or get off the pot
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think I need to clarify my previous post as there is still some confusion. For the record, the majority of Allo. programs DON'T CARE...THEY ACCEPT THE COMPLEX as a proper measure of aptitude. Most of the programs that require the USMLE can be found in the South-East, West (Cali, Oregon, etc), and some on the Southern Eastern Seaboard (N. Carolina, Virginia). Many very competitive programs accept the COMLEX, but some do not. Most of my colleagues found that taking the USMLE did not help them land a Allo. residency, unless they had applied to a program requiring the USMLE.

8. Chrisobean

Chrisobean The Killer Bean
    7+ Year Member

i think you should take the USMLE anyway, regardless of what you want to do. If you do really well, then show them your score, at worst it will do nothing for you. if its not needed, or if you do not-so-good, dont release the score.

i didnt have a rec letter from any physician (although i had alot from professors and my research supervisors, and one from a graduating nycom student), and im going to nycom next year. nycom highly recommended having one, though.

9. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

Based on my recent experiences and what I found on various webpages, it's true that MOST places will take COMLEX scores. However, there are some that specifically REQUIRE USMLE. Even if a place doesn't require the USMLE, you never know if it will play a factor in matching. There are some places who will likely prefer USMLE scores (even if this is unwritten), and I would hate to look back and think that it may have led to me not getting my top choice.

Generally, all the rest of the above is true. USMLE is usually only absolutely required for competitive fields or less competitive fields in highly desired locations (CA is the example that always gets used).

All that said, I think every DO student should take at least Step one of USMLE (and, personally, that's where I stopped). Step One is the main one used for residency selection. After that, the exams are just for licensing.

10. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I suggest taking the USMLE STEP 1...that is it. DO grads never need to worry about taking the USMLE step 3 as that is only necessary for licensure and the COMLEX steps 1-3 are the Osteopathic licensing boards. THerefore, in reality you can fail the USMLE but pass the COMLEX and become licensed without difficulty. Taking the USMLE only allows programs to better evaluate you against MDs with an apples to apples comparison.

Remember, while using the match software you may choose to not disclose your USMLE score while only disclosing your COMLEX scores...just in case you did fail the USMLE. Lets hope that does not happen.

11. bth7

bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Check this out:

Do I really need to take the USMLE ?

Some reading for ya!

bth

12. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, thank you so much! I've been looking for answers to all of those questions! :thumbup:

13. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Holy cow, old thread brought back to life!

14. bth7

bth7 It's worth it in the end . . .
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Cool.