Residency 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmgrl07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting this link so residents of year 2007-2008 could exchange ideas and any helpful tips and info. Feel free to use it 😀, of course, if you have time :meanie:
 
I will contribute when I have time. I just started my residency this week and at the moment I'm ovewhelmed with general paperwork, computer training and meetings. It will probably take me awhile to feel more comfortable to post objectively - as it would be with any new job. 🙄
 
I will contribute when I have time. I just started my residency this week and at the moment I'm ovewhelmed with general paperwork, computer training and meetings. It will probably take me awhile to feel more comfortable to post objectively - as it would be with any new job. 🙄
I am sure it's gonna be over-whelming...I am starting on monday..7/2 and I am sure it's gonna be a head spinning ride :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will start my fellowship tomorrow. The only thing I know, I am going to work for Walgreen's part-time so I don't starve on the stipend. The East Coast meat prices are still a bit of a shock to me.

I think it will be fun, though, and I have never yet met a person who regretted doing some kind of postgrad program, so all the best wishes to all new residents/fellows! 🙂
 
I will start my fellowship tomorrow. The only thing I know, I am going to work for Walgreen's part-time so I don't starve on the stipend. The East Coast meat prices are still a bit of a shock to me.

I think it will be fun, though, and I have never yet met a person who regretted doing some kind of postgrad program, so all the best wishes to all new residents/fellows! 🙂
Nice saying Hels...I was thinking to work part-time with CVS too...now I am thinking if it's possible...I mean..how wud you be able to get all the training for walgreens while doing fellowship...and btw-what kind of fellowship you doing?
 
Nice saying Hels...I was thinking to work part-time with CVS too...now I am thinking if it's possible...I mean..how wud you be able to get all the training for walgreens while doing fellowship...and btw-what kind of fellowship you doing?

I have worked for Walgreen's for over 5 years, so as soon as I get my NJ license and say "I am available" - they toss me right in. 😀 Walgreen's doesn't train those who worked for them beforehand other than a few hours intranet course, which I have done already as a graduate intern. Those who come from outside - they have a couple months of different shadowing, and training, and so on, but not us, long-time Walgreen's slaves.

I am doing Business Intelligence fellowship through the Rutgers University. I always was interested in industry, and I want to try my hand in teaching - I like to talk too much anyways.
 
I am looking to apply for a residency next yr. You'll have to keep us informed of your progress ! I am so excited for all of you. You've finally made it!

Good luck to those who start tomorrow !!!:luck::luck::luck:

Go save lives!
 
Goodluck to you all. I start my first rotation tom. and i cant wait till I'm in your shoes..
 
Goodluck to you all. I start my first rotation tom. and i cant wait till I'm in your shoes..

Good luck to you too! Keep your eyes and ears open - you might want to do a residency at a place where you have a rotation. 😉

I actually got the position I coveted since my second year of pharmacy school, one of only two of its kind in the country. I am excited to start, but I feel a bit overwhelmed - when a dream comes true, it has an effect similar to being hit on the head with something heavy. At least, to me it does.
 
I just started yesterday as well. I'll post my experiences as the year goes on and after I recover somewhat from the sheer volume of information piled on me already.
 
I just started yesterday as well. I'll post my experiences as the year goes on and after I recover somewhat from the sheer volume of information piled on me already.
I do agree with the amount of information. A lot of evaluations...way more than what I had expected. I am supposed to use Resitrak...but it still is not work 🙄 I am sure residency will keep me very very busy 😱 Hope it's worth at the end 🙂
 
Hi everyone,
I just started my residency this week and so far it has definitely been a reflection of what the rest of the year will be like, busy but good ... i think. Anyway, we're meeting tomorrow to discuss residency project ideas and I am nervous to go in there without any ideas. I've never worked in a hospital before so it's difficult for me to come up wit hideas that I think will benefit the hospital. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Star2
 
Residency Project seems to be the first thing mentioned around here too...
I am scared of that too and have never worked in hospital before. The worse is that I have to give them at least 10 ideas for project...I can't even come up with one :scared: I have no idea where to begin...I tried to google, but cudn't come up with anything...Any clues 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
10 Ideas!! Thats crazy! I guess the best thing to do is just key in on some areas that you are very interested in. Do you remember anything from rotations that inspired you? How about a small study that was bad that you think you could do better?
 
10 Ideas!! Thats crazy! I guess the best thing to do is just key in on some areas that you are very interested in. Do you remember anything from rotations that inspired you? How about a small study that was bad that you think you could do better?
I know I would be happy with ID, but everything that I can think of sounds more like MUE. I dont' even where to begin with research stuff 😕
 
Wow, I guess we are pretty lucky b/c the project list is thought up by the preceptors and we just choose the ones we are most interested in. I would have had a really tough time coming up with my own since I worked retail and industry for two summers. So far everything else is going good. We are training in all of the different satellites for 6 weeks, then rotations start.
 
Wow, I guess we are pretty lucky b/c the project list is thought up by the preceptors and we just choose the ones we are most interested in. I would have had a really tough time coming up with my own since I worked retail and industry for two summers. So far everything else is going good. We are training in all of the different satellites for 6 weeks, then rotations start.
I would think you are lucky too. I am getting some training as well for initial 4 weeks. Then I will be pretty much on my own although they say other pharmacist may help you. But I like being independant. I have to make up my schedule as far as what rotations I want first and so on and I can't structure it. I wish these things were done and we just had to deal with it. Making decisions over things like that is not my preference 🙁
 
hey pharmgrl-- whats wrong with MUE? I think alot of residents last yr did projects like that at the hospital i was doing rotations at?
Really?? Than that wouldn't be bad. I have to do roughly about 4 MUEs throughout year anyways. 🙄
 
I just started my PGY1 last week. I will have to staff every other weekend.

What do your sites require?
 
I just started my PGY1 last week. I will have to staff every other weekend.

What do your sites require?
Initial 2 months, shadowing under other pharmacist...basically doing their job and they see me. Then months 3-6 every other weekend and one day day shift, then months 6-9, all of the above + an evening shift, months 9-12, all of the above + night shift 😴
 
I am interested in applying for residency this coming school year. At first I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do, but after I started my rotations, I decided to be more open to different fields of pharmacy. I know that fellowship is not an option for me due to location availabilities and family obligations. (I'd rather stay in the OC also.😍)

Before the ASHP conference this year, I want to get some advice in what to ask those recruiters at the booths when I'm there. What to look for, how to ask them questions, how to meet the right people...

And of course, the most important question: How did you decide what you want to do?

Thanks. Congrats to the new grads and residents!
 
Our first few weeks of residency are dedicated to learning to staff the different satellites. Then we start rotations in late August, and we staff every 3rd weekend plus a weeknight every 2 -3 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else is very nervous about staffing for the first time by themselves? I have a mostly retail background, and over these past 4 weeks I feel like there is such a steep learning curve. I have to admit I am very uneasy about getting slammed on my first few nights staffing, and hoping that I won't be so hurried that I miss important issues. I think it's my lack of experience making IVs and drips that slows me up the most.😳
 
i am very concerned about staffing which i will have to do after Labor day. i have only retail experience and have been a little overwhelmed by my current experience. But i think if we do order entry at our own pace and ask lots of questions we ll be ok.
 
H2Opharm -
Rotations really opened my eyes as to whether or not to do a residency. I was never happy being an intern in retail. I guess I felt like I was doing too much business instead of medical stuff. I also didn't like the way the pharmacists were treated by management. We are not fast food workers and we should not be "graded" on how fast we can verify prescriptions. That and no lunch breaks and standing in one place all day long just looked like it would wear on me awful fast. I really believe that retail would be more pleasant if chains quit opening stores within 5 miles of eachother and allowed more pharmacists to staff each shift. But hey, good luck with that.

I like working in the hospital because every day is so different, and I know that I will learn ton of info this year doing a residency. One other reason I decided to go for one was so that if I apply for a job one day, I don't want to be passed over because I wasn't residency trained. It would kill me if I didn't do one and they hired a residency trained pharmacist over me instead - even if I was good enough to do the job. Your reasons for doing or not doing one will be different, and you really have to think about what you want to do after the residency. It is not necessary in all places of employment, and you can get by just fine without one. It is really about the opportunities opened up to you after you have done one, and where you want to work. Now it is tough watching your friends make lots of money, but this is only for a year, and once it's done, it's done. If you are even thinking you want to do one, I say go for it.
 
I agree 100% with Tessalon. That's exactly why I am doing residency. I figured out I will be losing money this year, but will be gaining a lot of benefit from it. If I had the full pharmacist income I would be losing it within the year anyways 😀. But life is just getting busier. Everyday I think I can't be more busier but it gets busier than yesterday. So far I am enjoying it. But will see what happens in next....45?? weeks. 😎

H2Opharm -
Rotations really opened my eyes as to whether or not to do a residency. I was never happy being an intern in retail. I guess I felt like I was doing too much business instead of medical stuff. I also didn't like the way the pharmacists were treated by management. We are not fast food workers and we should not be "graded" on how fast we can verify prescriptions. That and no lunch breaks and standing in one place all day long just looked like it would wear on me awful fast. I really believe that retail would be more pleasant if chains quit opening stores within 5 miles of eachother and allowed more pharmacists to staff each shift. But hey, good luck with that.

I like working in the hospital because every day is so different, and I know that I will learn ton of info this year doing a residency. One other reason I decided to go for one was so that if I apply for a job one day, I don't want to be passed over because I wasn't residency trained. It would kill me if I didn't do one and they hired a residency trained pharmacist over me instead - even if I was good enough to do the job. Your reasons for doing or not doing one will be different, and you really have to think about what you want to do after the residency. It is not necessary in all places of employment, and you can get by just fine without one. It is really about the opportunities opened up to you after you have done one, and where you want to work. Now it is tough watching your friends make lots of money, but this is only for a year, and once it's done, it's done. If you are even thinking you want to do one, I say go for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad