Residency Career Guidance: Epilepsy, Neurohospitalist, Neuroinfectious Disease, Teleneurology, Medical Devices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dennis-brodmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am a PGY-2 in a front-loaded neurology residency program seeking advice from senior residents, fellows, and attendings. I have various thoughts about future career options and have spoken to some of my attendings, who have been in academia for most of their careers. I was hoping for a broader perspective. Any help would be appreciated, however, from academics and non-academics alike. For the record, I posted this on Reddit as well to cover more ground :).

Epilepsy
I recently completed our brief dedicated epilepsy rotation, focused on reading EEGs and having some exposure with EMU and outpatient. I have really enjoyed reading EEGs and also my exposure to epilepsy, specifically surgical planning. I could look at EEGs all day and like localizing seizure foci with neurodiagnostics. It’s very methodical, and I like focusing on one patient at a time in the EMU.
  1. Is there a version of this career where one only reads EEGs, focuses on managing EMU patients, and manages surgical patients (i.e., a hospitalist-like career where one is 7 on-7 off, reading EEGs when not involved in patient care). If so, could this work in a non-academic center? If not, could I work for an academic center and be simultaneously employed by a teleneurology company?
  2. Can someone make a living in teleneurology by only reading EEG?
  3. Intraoperative monitoring is a skill usually taught in clinical neurophysiology fellowships. I do not want to do CNP but I would be interested in training in IOM. Would this be possible in epilepsy fellowship and beyond? What does a career in teleneurology look like for IOM?
  4. My undergraduate degree was in biomedical engineering, and I always saw myself part-time contributing to projects involved with brain machine interfacing, specifically focused on cognitive enhancement. Do you know of any fellowship programs that could help me get into the medical device world? Would I need to continue in academia to accomplish this goal post-training, given I do not have a PhD, or could I do this cold without much on my CV? Attendings have told me I should look into movement disorders or even neurorehabilitation, but I really do like reading EEGs so I don't think those would be options for me.
  5. Current epileptologists, what are potential downsides that you did not foresee prior to completing training?
Neurohospitalist/Inpatient Consult Service
As a resident, the pace of our primary inpatient services (General and Stroke) can be draining, at times. Seeing my attendings on their 7 days on - being responsible for the primary team, disposition, consults, and calls from outside hospitals - looks exhausting as well even though they have they have residents and fellows. Although I like the pace of outpatient more, I do appreciate the skills I have learned in managing inpatient problems. Given this, I have not ruled out neurohospitalist work.
  1. Would being a neurohospitalist only managing non-vascular pathology be possible in a non-academic center?
  2. Also, if one wanted to pursue an outpatient specialty (e.g., epilepsy), could a contract be negotiated where one could earn extra money by being an attending on a consult service (at that person's choosing)?
  3. At my institution, the consultant attendings are taking calls through the night and also attending the inpatient services. Is this typical?
  4. Current neurohospitalists, what are the cons of your day-to-day?
Neuroinfectious Disease
We do not have neuro-ID at my institution. I know there are not many places that have a dedicated division for this speciality. It seems like it would be restricted to academia or to a governmental organizations like the CDC. I would like more exposure but am not sure if doing an away elective is worth it.
  1. What does a career in neuro-ID look like?
  2. How much is traveling a part of the job, specifically internationally?
  3. Is doing a fellowship in neuro-ID worth it if you’re not in academia or practicing in a large city?
  4. Neuro-ID docs, what has been the most/least rewarding aspects of your job?
Thanks for reading my long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an epilepsy fellowship trained neurohospitalist so I can answer a few of these questions. Of note, I'm a recent grad (2018)

As far as epilepsy jobs go I don't think I've heard of a 7 on 7 off gig. Most of the time it's outpatient epilepsy where you admit your patients to the EMU and do their surgical evaluation. Once it's decently well localized you discuss with a surgeon usually in an epilepsy surgery conference and decide the candidacy of the patient for any given procedure (VNS, RNS, DBS, resective surgery) and go with that plan. Usually this is more academic-ish than private practice. There are some EEG reading gigs but they're few and far between and usually been taken up by other attendings (I'm trying to find one myself). EEG reading is taking a cut in reimbursement next year, but from what I gather it won't be severe. I don't do IOM so I can't tell you. I read my own hospital EEGs however.

I am a neurohospitalist and I work 7 on 7 off. There are SOME gigs where you only see general neuro and not vascular at some academic centers but for the most part most of my service is stroke/seizure/suspected seizure or stroke with a smattering of occasional AMS and ED triage (can this be followed up outpatient or inpatient) and I field some calls from smaller hospitals for consults or transfer requests. Can you do outpatient and some inpatient contracted work? Sure. Locums is an avenue for some people to do exactly that. I work in a consult only service and honestly would not want to do it any other way. I had a primary service in residency and it was miserable. I was managing medical comorbidities and complications all day and that is not our arena/area of expertise. I do a week of days and a week of nights a month.

Anyway hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an epilepsy fellowship trained neurohospitalist so I can answer a few of these questions. Of note, I'm a recent grad (2018)

As far as epilepsy jobs go I don't think I've heard of a 7 on 7 off gig. Most of the time it's outpatient epilepsy where you admit your patients to the EMU and do their surgical evaluation. Once it's decently well localized you discuss with a surgeon usually in an epilepsy surgery conference and decide the candidacy of the patient for any given procedure (VNS, RNS, DBS, resective surgery) and go with that plan. Usually this is more academic-ish than private practice. There are some EEG reading gigs but they're few and far between and usually been taken up by other attendings (I'm trying to find one myself). EEG reading is taking a cut in reimbursement next year, but from what I gather it won't be severe. I don't do IOM so I can't tell you. I read my own hospital EEGs however.

I am a neurohospitalist and I work 7 on 7 off. There are SOME gigs where you only see general neuro and not vascular at some academic centers but for the most part most of my service is stroke/seizure/suspected seizure or stroke with a smattering of occasional AMS and ED triage (can this be followed up outpatient or inpatient) and I field some calls from smaller hospitals for consults or transfer requests. Can you do outpatient and some inpatient contracted work? Sure. Locums is an avenue for some people to do exactly that. I work in a consult only service and honestly would not want to do it any other way. I had a primary service in residency and it was miserable. I was managing medical comorbidities and complications all day and that is not our arena/area of expertise. I do a week of days and a week of nights a month.

Anyway hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, Telamir!

Regarding your path, why did you choose to be a neurohospitalist rather than the typical outpatient/EMU path? Are you in private practice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got tired of doing outpatient and wanted to do inpatient for a while. 7 on 7 off is a nice schedule. Also with epilepsy there typically is a lot of psychogenic non epileptic spells/events that you have to contend with and I got tired of giving that spiel. While in fellowship I think easily 50% of my patients were psychogenic, and out of the other 50 you were differentiating syncope, parasomnias, and epilepsy. Overall I was very frustrated with it and decided to do inpatient. I don't rule out going back to it at some point but I'm fine where I'm at right now.

I got tired of doing outpatient and wanted to do inpatient for a while. 7 on 7 off is a nice schedule. Also with epilepsy there typically is a lot of psychogenic non epileptic spells/events that you have to contend with and I got tired of giving that spiel. While in fellowship I think easily 50% of my patients were psychogenic, and out of the other 50 you were differentiating syncope, parasomnias, and epilepsy. Overall I was very frustrated with it and decided to do inpatient. I don't rule out going back to it at some point but I'm fine where I'm at right now.
A piggyback question regarding the 7/7 you do. Since you mentioned that you do 7 of days and 7 of nights separated by 7 off, is it accurate to assume that the hospital is staffed by 4 neurohospitalists to provide 24hr/7 coverage while allowing you to have a true time off when you sign out?

Ideally, yes. Right now it's me, another guy and 2 locums. Nevertheless I do get my time off and it's truly off. That being said, I make sure it's "off". I make myself very scarce during my 7 days off. No e-mails, no meetings, no contact...but that's just me.

Ideally, yes. Right now it's me, another guy and 2 locums. Nevertheless I do get my time off and it's truly off. That being said, I make sure it's "off". I make myself very scarce during my 7 days off. No e-mails, no meetings, no contact...but that's just me.

What are some of the frustrations in general or throughout your day being a Neurohospitalist?

Neuroinfectious Disease
We do not have neuro-ID at my institution. I know there are not many places that have a dedicated division for this speciality. It seems like it would be restricted to academia or to a governmental organizations like the CDC. I would like more exposure but am not sure if doing an away elective is worth it.
  1. What does a career in neuro-ID look like?
  2. How much is traveling a part of the job, specifically internationally?
  3. Is doing a fellowship in neuro-ID worth it if you’re not in academia or practicing in a large city?
  4. Neuro-ID docs, what has been the most/least rewarding aspects of your job?

There isn't much neuro ID out there, definitely academic only. Many in neuro ID are medicine ID trained rather than from neurology. I know of a few places with neuro ID: UCSF, BWH, NIH, Northwestern, Rush?, Hopkins?, Columbia?

Traveling depends on research interests and grant funding.

I'm not in neuro ID but I know a few neuro ID people.

There isn't much neuro ID out there, definitely academic only. Many in neuro ID are medicine ID trained rather than from neurology. I know of a few places with neuro ID: UCSF, BWH, NIH, Northwestern, Rush?, Hopkins?, Columbia?

Traveling depends on research interests and grant funding.

I'm not in neuro ID but I know a few neuro ID people.

Mayo and Wash U have neuro ID as well.