I will say that as a student I used to evaluate everything about residency/fellowship programs to try to determine best fit based on 100+ factors, but now that I’m on the other side (interviewing for prospective residents/fellows), I am thoroughly convinced that it isn’t worth the effort to research programs that in depth because at the end of the day, for residencies you have to go through the Match process and for fellowships you have to go through rush just like for college fraternities (PPS at Midyear) so it’s a big crapshoot and it’s more about preparing for what they want to see in you vs. what you want to get out of them.
Ironically, in the case of applying to residencies/fellowships I would argue that this is a matter of QUANTITY vs. quality of programs you apply to that will better your chances of landing something, based on the mechanics of how these processes work.
That being said, to circle back to your original question, the one criteria I would look for in a program is job placement afterwards. How many residents get hired on with their insitution? Of those that don’t, what kind of jobs did they find and did they secure these roles prior to graduating or were they in the unemployment market for a while? Did they look for jobs (especially if they weren’t hired on internally) solely based on their own efforts or did their RPD, preceptors etc. help them look for jobs and/or tap into connections to get them placed?
Residency is a stall tactic to find a real job and while the training will be worth it in the long run, do not ever lose sight of the fact that job security after residency is what you MUST prioritize ASAP.