Residency dilemma!!

Started by Sara24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sara24

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys! It might be a day early to ask this question, but what would you do if you were offered a residency position from a program with a bad reputation? I mean, eventually what is better, choosing not to accept the offer and instead working at a good place to pursue a better residency next year or to simply accept the offer and take the credit for completing a residency year regardless of their reputation?
 
Hi guys! It might be a day early to ask this question, but what would you do if you were offered a residency position from a program with a bad reputation? I mean, eventually what is better, choosing not to accept the offer and instead working at a good place to pursue a better residency next year or to simply accept the offer and take the credit for completing a residency year regardless of their reputation?

Why would you apply to a program with a bad reputation unless you were willing to go there? The match is binding and if you back out, unless it's mutual in writing with the program, you are forever disqualified from participating in the match (if you were to ever consider re-applying for residency). In other words, you either go to the program you're matched to, or forever give up on residency. Or write to your program explaining that you want to back out and see if they will accept your withdrawal.

To answer your question, I think it's a tough call nowadays. Simply being able to state that you completed a residency program on your CV/resume may be worth it, considering the outlook on the job market now. On the other hand, if you're able to secure a stable and acceptable job, it may be worth it to forego residency altogether.
 
Offered a residency....through the Match? Wouldn't this be a binding agreement and if violated then you would be unable to participate the following year?

Edit: poster above beat me to it 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wasn't offered the residency during the match and I realize the binding agreement part! But the point of my question was, which one is better to do residency in a bad program or to not do residency at all?
 
I wasn't offered the residency during the match and I realize the binding agreement part! But the point of my question was, which one is better to do residency in a bad program or to not do residency at all?
As I mentioned, I think it's a tough call. Personally, I feel the better choice would be skip the bad residency, get the best job that you can, and if you don't like it, reapply the next year for a program that you don't consider bad. You're taking a huge pay cut and time committment to do residency - you don't want it to be a bad experience. And if in that year, you discover that you are satisfied with your job, then you can always stick with it and skip the residency altogether.
 
As I mentioned, I think it's a tough call. Personally, I feel the better choice would be skip the bad residency, get the best job that you can, and if you don't like it, reapply the next year for a program that you don't consider bad. You're taking a huge pay cut and time committment to do residency - you don't want it to be a bad experience. And if in that year, you discover that you are satisfied with your job, then you can always stick with it and skip the residency altogether.
Thanks for your input and yeah this is what I've decided to do. The question is, I've been offered an outpatient position in a very good hospital, butt still I'm interested in applying to the match next year. Do you think this would be a good experience on my resume for residency next year? because although it's a very good hospital, still it's an outpatient position!
 
Thanks for your input and yeah this is what I've decided to do. The question is, I've been offered an outpatient position in a very good hospital, butt still I'm interested in applying to the match next year. Do you think this would be a good experience on my resume for residency next year? because although it's a very good hospital, still it's an outpatient position!
Any experience is fine. But make sure you continue to improve yourself as a candidate. Don't count on 1 year of additional experience to automatically make you a better candidate. You'll need to show that you've grown in this 1 year.

Sent from my XT1045 using SDN mobile
 
Thanks for your input and yeah this is what I've decided to do. The question is, I've been offered an outpatient position in a very good hospital, butt still I'm interested in applying to the match next year. Do you think this would be a good experience on my resume for residency next year? because although it's a very good hospital, still it's an outpatient position!

I would take it. Have you ever worked outpatient? I worked in that environment as an intern during school and it's a very unique experience. You may really enjoy it! Also, most importantly, it gets your foot in the door. You may be able to transfer to inpatient later on down the line if there is an opening and you do well.
 
I would take it. Have you ever worked outpatient? I worked in that environment as an intern during school and it's a very unique experience. You may really enjoy it! Also, most importantly, it gets your foot in the door. You may be able to transfer to inpatient later on down the line if there is an opening and you do well.
Yeah I've worked as an intern as well in an outpatient setting and I guess this should be even more exciting being part of the hospital as you said. Thanks for your input as well 🙂
 
Thanks for your input and yeah this is what I've decided to do. The question is, I've been offered an outpatient position in a very good hospital, butt still I'm interested in applying to the match next year. Do you think this would be a good experience on my resume for residency next year? because although it's a very good hospital, still it's an outpatient position!

I know of 3 instances this match where pharmacists previously worked and matched. In one of these instances a staff pharmacist matched at the location she staffed at--and it's a pretty competitive residency program. While youre staffing perhaps you can get involved in research and etc which will help strengthen your CV even more!