Residency from carribean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes431

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say if I wanted to go into family practice, would getting residency not even be a problem if I studied medicine in one of the top Carribean schools and did decent on the USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

You could graduate from the worst program in the caribbean, fail your USMLE exams several times and still have no problems getting a family practice resdiency (assuming you are a US citizen). In general....only mediocre to poor US medical students apply for FP, and the majority of FP programs do not fill.

If you really want to be an FP, then good for you. The fact that it is an uncompetitive specialty should not alter your decision.

Good luck

To the OP...if you'd like to know more about family medicine, feel free to stop by the FM forum. Most people there actually know something about the field. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You could graduate from the worst program in the caribbean, fail your USMLE exams several times and still have no problems getting a family practice resdiency (assuming you are a US citizen). In general....only mediocre to poor US medical students apply for FP, and the majority of FP programs do not fill.

So not true. I'm not going into FM and I'm still offended.

Lets say if I wanted to go into family practice, would getting residency not even be a problem if I studied medicine in one of the top Carribean schools and did decent on the USMLE?

If you have a passion for FP, you won't have a problem getting in. Let it show through your personal statement and interviews when it comes time to apply for residency. Some FP residency programs are harder than others to get into coming from a Caribbean school but like I said, it's how you present yourself that'll be the deciding factor. Best of luck.

If you really want to be an FP, then good for you. The fact that it is an uncompetitive specialty should not alter your decision.

Good luck

The poster above is either a) uninformed b) an idiot c) can't count numbers from the nrmp.org where it shows 2007 had 27,944 active applicants for 21,845 PGY1 positions.

If you score too low on the USMLE and fail multiple times you will have a hard time getting something considering there are too many applicants for too few positions.

Good luck

I beg to differ. Family practice is pretty easy for US grads to get into. Now it is definitely easier for a Caribbean grad to get into family medicine than say derm or ophtho. But you're still an IMG and residency programs, as a rule, will take US grads before IMG's. So if you graduate from the Caribbean, its in your best interest to shine in the eyes of the program directors, even in relatively non-competitive specialties like family medicine or IM. Being an IMG and failing your USMLE several times constitutes two strikes against you, and more than likely you won't be invited for an interview if this happens.
So, the take-home message is if you go to the Caribbean, work your a** off.
Make yourself as marketable as you can. Strive to not only pass the USMLE on the first attempt, but beat the mean if you can. Work hard in clinicals, impress your attendings, and get good solid letters of recommendation. Do this and it will take you far.

I keep hearing about taking extra tests in the US if you go to a carib school. Does anyone who has gone through the whole process know the specific tests needed to practice medicine in the united states after studying in the international schools? I really want to go into OB/GYN and I've heard there's a demand for them. Any input? My top school is Ross or SGU, but I don't apply till later this year because I still have 1 yr. undergrad. I speak spanish so I was thinking about applying to Ponce in PR because it's US accredited. I want to end up in california and I think SGU is somehow accredited through the board of california? My GPA is about 3.3 and I'm taking my MCATs in spet. Thanks to anyone with some advice/constructive criticism!:confused:

I keep hearing about taking extra tests in the US if you go to a carib school. Does anyone who has gone through the whole process know the specific tests needed to practice medicine in the united states after studying in the international schools? I really want to go into OB/GYN and I've heard there's a demand for them. Any input? My top school is Ross or SGU, but I don't apply till later this year because I still have 1 yr. undergrad. I speak spanish so I was thinking about applying to Ponce in PR because it's US accredited. I want to end up in california and I think SGU is somehow accredited through the board of california? My GPA is about 3.3 and I'm taking my MCATs in spet. Thanks to anyone with some advice/constructive criticism!:confused:
1. There are NO EXTRA TESTS to complete in order to become a physician in the U.S when coming from a caribbean school.
2. EVERYONE wishing to become a licenced physician in the U.S. MUST take and pass the following exams:
a. USMLE part I
b. USMLE part II clinical knowledge
c. USMLE part II clinical skills
d. USMLE part III
3. What sets carib. students apart from U.S. grads is that carib. students must become ECFMG certified.This usually takes place right before the beginning of residency. This is a bureaucratic/legislative process, and DOES NOT require any more exams in addition to the ones listed above.
4. Ponce Is an LCME school, and coming from there you still have to take the exams outlined above, the same as you would if you came from either Harvard, or SGU, Ross or Hopkins.
5. Good luck in your decisions.:thumbup:

Good luck
Your post is pretty insulting to the field of Family practice, and those who chose to pursue it as a career. I am hoping that was unintentional.

With that said, it is currently, and likely will be for the forseable future, a RELATIVELY easy residency to obtain. The reasons for this are varied, but as with most things in medicine,a large portion of it boils down to money and *perceived* lifestyle.

It is an important field, and produces well rounded clinicians. It also happens to attract its fair share of top med. students who will excel practicing FP, the same as they would had they gone into some of the more competitive fields. To the OP bear in mind the following:

1. All fields are cyclical in nature with respect to reimbursement/competitiveness.
2. Reimbursement is declining across all fields.
3. Currently Procedural fields are more lucrative
4. Currently Primary care fields are not that competitve.
5. Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life
6. Do what you love and the money will follow.
7. Keep an open mind through med. school. I was certain I wanted speciality x until I spent a month doing it. Now, at the end of fourth year I am going into a completely different field, which I love. Good luck.

thanks so much bulletproof. So it would be something that I wouldn't need to worry about at this point. I guess I'll just go, work my ass off and just see how things work out! Thanks!

Like bulletproof said, there are no extra tests to take if you are a Caribbean grad. You essentially take the same tests as a US med student would, including Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS.
Now I went to SGU, and it is an excellent school. However, I would recommend you consider Ponce first because its LCME accredited. When you apply for residency, program directors are more likely to consider graduates from LCME accredited schools, even though graduates from Caribbean schools may have in fact received an excellent education and rocked their boards. Its unfair, I know, but that's the way it works.
On the other hand, SGU is indeed recognized by California, as well as the other states. It also has the best match rates among the Caribbean schools.
So, if you cannot get into an LCME accredited school, you should definitely consider SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba, as these are the big 4 Caribbean schools. Good luck with your decision.

Is Ponce the best school in Puerto Rico? I was planning on doing the MCATs in september (I'm not taking classes this summer specifically so I can devote 2 and 1/2 months to studying for them) and applying to Puerto Rico and Linda Loma (just for kicks, maybe they'll like that I'm religious and studied abroad in spanish-speaking countries 2X or something). Then also applying to SGU and Ross as soon as I can. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and score high enough on the MCATs to get an interview and then wow them with my personal skills. My GPA is 3.25 as of now so probably no chance, but I'll try anyways.