Residency help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topology

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a 3rd yr DO student planning on going in G.Surg. I'm not sure if my score (USMLE 1: 224/93) is enough. I'm in top 15% of my class. I've also conducted research for past 2 yrs but no publications. I've some volunteering work as well. I'm looking for some programs in Midwest especially in Chicago. I'm not sure what to do to increase my chance of getting in.

Thanks for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you do in your MS-III rotations? Are you planning to take Step 2? How are your letters? Planning on doing any away rotations? Electives?

Are you looking at MD or DO residencies?

How did you do in your MS-III rotations? Are you planning to take Step 2? How are your letters? Planning on doing any away rotations? Electives?

Are you looking at MD or DO residencies?

Hi,

I will be starting my 3rd year in a month. I have done a observership with a Cardiovascular surgeron (affiliated w/Loyola Univ.) in Chicago who is willing to write me a LOR. I'm planning on doing about 3 away rotations during my 4th yr: UIC, Rush, Loyola. I really want to match somewhere in Chicago. The next best location would be MI or OH if Chicago doesn't work out.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you set on being in Chicago/Midwest? I ask because even stellar MD applicants applying to MD residencies apply widely, not limiting themselves to a single city (that's very risky, IMHO).

My advice may sound pretty generic, but here it is anyway: do very well in your third year rotations, consider taking Step 2 (but you have to do at least as well as in Step 1!), and get some great letters. An observership is fine, but I think surgeons who have actually worked with you would carry more weight.

Be cautious about going to UIC. That place is in massive upheaval and many Head of Departments have resigned in the past few years. Recently the Chancellor resigned. I can't say much more than that without getting myself into trouble, but I would not recommend it.

The cost of living in Chicago is astronomical and they pay you less than many of the other places in the country. In addition, you have to consider the amount of time that it will take you to logistically get back and forth to work each day: if you are exhausted post-call, it is a big deal to sit in rush hour traffic for another hour pinching yourself to stay awake on the way home. It is also a big deal to get up earlier every morning for that hour in to work. If you have your heart set on a big city, just keep those other things in mind too. You won't have time as a surgery resident to take advantage of the concerts and the other stuff. The little details on a daily basis, however, will drastically affect your life.

In addition, I would also echo the comments above: don't limit yourself to one city. Look around at other cities in the area (Indy, Milwaukee, St Louis) if this is a family issue for you. And look at some of the other smaller programs in the area where your life might be a little more controllable. (This is all coming from a "staunch" city girl who matched in a small town program: it has advantages:)

Try speaking with some of the upperclassmen at your school and the Surgery Chair as well.

There are some Allopathic programs that are notoriously anti-DO, butthey may not be up front about that. I have a few friends who wasted good rotation months only to be told (too late) that they really didnt have a shot. They still applied, a few got interviews but none matched. These were some competitive applicants.

There are, however, many allopathic programs that look more at letters, performance on audition rotations and numbers rather than the school you attend.

Also, dont forget about the osteopathic general surgery programs. There are more than a handful that are outstanding and meet the same requirements that ACGME programs meet.

Doctors Hospitals - Ohio
MSUCOM
PCOM (my program)

I know for PCOM we rotate at places like UPENN, Geisinger, Sloan Kettering, Cooper. We get a good amount of Peds, Transplant, MIS, Onc, Thoraci, Vascular and a LOT of trauma. As mentioned above, our R4s & R5s have numbers that match up exactly with our allopathic comrades.

Recent grads have gone into Colorectal, Plastics, Vascular and Trauma.

Best of luck.

Also, dont forget about the osteopathic general surgery programs. There are more than a handful that are outstanding and meet the same requirements that ACGME programs meet.

Doctors Hospitals - Ohio
MSUCOM
PCOM (my program)

I'm not a Doctor's resident, but I rotated there and liked it a lot.

There are a lot of good DO programs if you're looking for a community-style place. As long as you don't want an academic powerhouse kind of place, there's a lot of opportunity in the osteopathic general surgery world. Good luck OP.

I'm not a Doctor's resident, but I rotated there and liked it a lot.

There are a lot of good DO programs if you're looking for a community-style place. As long as you don't want an academic powerhouse kind of place, there's a lot of opportunity in the osteopathic general surgery world. Good luck OP.

Not all DO programs are all community hospital based. :thumbup:

You might also want to consider St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center in Toledo. We are a new program at a Level I trauma center and quartinary care hospital. We also cover 2 community hospitals St. Annes and St. Charles where when you are on that service all you'll have to do is operate mon-fri and take home call. Lots of technology at the hospital. Including a Da Vinci that will be going into training mode once we get the new one. A vascular service with a higher census then most places that have a vascular fellowships. Our own Pediatirc Hospital serviced by awsome pediatric surgeons from Mott Childrens (UofM) and a brand new Regional Heart and Vascular hospital. The best thing about our program is our director. She is cares about her residents education and makes us her number one priority.

Good luck in your endevors.

You might also want to consider St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center in Toledo. We are a new program at a Level I trauma center and quartinary care hospital. We also cover 2 community hospitals St. Annes and St. Charles where when you are on that service all you'll have to do is operate mon-fri and take home call. Lots of technology at the hospital. Including a Da Vinci that will be going into training mode once we get the new one. A vascular service with a higher census then most places that have a vascular fellowships. Our own Pediatirc Hospital serviced by awsome pediatric surgeons from Mott Childrens (UofM) and a brand new Regional Heart and Vascular hospital. The best thing about our program is our director. She is cares about her residents education and makes us her number one priority.

:thumbup: