Residency Interview Suits and Watches

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd put in a plug for RL black label (caruso) or BB black fleece for the suit. Great cuts and you may well save some money! Another decent one is Isaia.
 
I'd put in a plug for RL black label (caruso) or BB black fleece for the suit. Great cuts and you may well save some money! Another decent one is Isaia.

Haha thanks! It's actually difficult to find a well tailored modern cut suit, if you don't buy regularly. It seems none of the elite brands advertise regularly.
 
I didn't know people spent more than 100 bucks on watches 😱

I'm personally hoping to try to find the cheapest suits out there, since I dread having to pay 1k or more for...a suit D:

Armani exchange was the closest I got to looking at expensive stuff, which looks nice, but my wallet was whimpering already.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't care if you end up a spine surgeon earning $3mil per year, I can see absolutely no reason to ever spend more than $600 on a suit or ~$100 on a watch (unless you're buying a watch for something like scuba diving...). And you know what? Most attendings would agree. The people interviewing you won't be able to tell a difference between your $6000 suit and a $600 (or $200...) one, and even if they could, they'd probably realize that only a pretentious asswipe would wear $10k worth of stuff to a residency interview.

Don't project your own insecurities onto others. Everyone is guilty of "wasteful" spending. Why would someone want to buy a car above $15-20k? Would would someone buy a home above $400k? Why would someone "waste" money buying food at a nice restaurant? To each his own. You have undoubtedly indulged on something at some point in your life and if you are going to be so critical of others that do the same then it is you who is the "pretentious asswipe."
A suit and especially a watch can be good investments. Nice watches rarely lose value over long periods of time if kept well. And for the record... you might not be able to tell the difference between $6000 suit and a $200 suit, but most of us can.


So one thing you should keep in mind is that there are certain occasions in which you should not be too flashy. Nice, expensive suits are fine, but they should be tasteful and conservative for a resident interview. Same with cuff links, etc. Once you're higher on the totem pole, it's more appropriate to be more flashy if you so choose (I prefer conservative personally).

I'm guilty of being a suit and watch enthusiast as well. If you're looking at zegna pick something cheaper, but tasteful up now such as :
http://store.zegna.com/item/store/zzegna/tskay/B4ADC6EB/cod10/49126822QB

and once you have more financial freedom and spending money go out and get a nice bespoke (custom tailored) suit. These are usually much more expensive, but will last you a long time.

As for watches... a good watch will run for generations and will lose little to no value (depending on the watch). Rolex submariners are very nice. This one matches you suit (although I prefer the black one).

549449d1320422194-rolex-iwc-panerai-omega-desperately-need-your-help-guyz-basel-2009-rolex-submariner-116613lb-97203-gold-steel-blue-dial.jpg
 
I'd put in a plug for RL black label (caruso) or BB black fleece for the suit. Great cuts and you may well save some money! Another decent one is Isaia.

Black label does indeed have some nice (and conservative) suits. Not sure if black label has pinstripes though, which is apparently what the OP likes. Purple label definitely has pinstripes, but those will break the budget.
 
I have this in black ballistic nylon for interviews. Its a lot more functional than the graphite damier luggage I use more casually.

http://www.luggagepros.com/briggs-and-riley-baseline-22-carry-on-upright-garment-bag.shtml

I used to use this but like the versatility of the Briggs more.

http://www.luggagepros.com/tumi-alpha-wheeled-carry-on-garment-bag-1.shtml

Thanks for the suggestions Drizz. Any problems getting the briggs and riley into the overhead compartments?
 
Drizz, it's time to trade in your IWC collection and step your game up to a Patek :meanie: At least you get some bonus points for the AL&S.

Don't project your own insecurities onto others. Everyone is guilty of "wasteful" spending. Why would someone want to buy a car above $15-20k? Would would someone buy a home above $400k? Why would someone "waste" money buying food at a nice restaurant? To each his own. You have undoubtedly indulged on something at some point in your life and if you are going to be so critical of others that do the same then it is you who is the "pretentious asswipe."
A suit and especially a watch can be good investments. Nice watches rarely lose value over long periods of time if kept well. And for the record... you might not be able to tell the difference between $6000 suit and a $200 suit, but most of us can.

👍 Was going to respond to that post but you have done it far better already.
 
For the people on here living off student loans yet still wanting to look stylish in a well-made, custom tailored suit, I recommend the award winning web retailer, Indochino. Will be picking up one of these before interview season.

http://www.indochino.com/

[Full disclosure: I have no financial ties to indochino, but I wish I did because then I would be drowning in awesome suits.]
 
Excellent Post. Thanks a lot. I actually quite like the suit you posted. Any insight between this brand and more expensive Zegna?

Don't project your own insecurities onto others. Everyone is guilty of "wasteful" spending. Why would someone want to buy a car above $15-20k? Would would someone buy a home above $400k? Why would someone "waste" money buying food at a nice restaurant? To each his own. You have undoubtedly indulged on something at some point in your life and if you are going to be so critical of others that do the same then it is you who is the "pretentious asswipe."
A suit and especially a watch can be good investments. Nice watches rarely lose value over long periods of time if kept well. And for the record... you might not be able to tell the difference between $6000 suit and a $200 suit, but most of us can.



So one thing you should keep in mind is that there are certain occasions in which you should not be too flashy. Nice, expensive suits are fine, but they should be tasteful and conservative for a resident interview. Same with cuff links, etc. Once you're higher on the totem pole, it's more appropriate to be more flashy if you so choose (I prefer conservative personally).

I'm guilty of being a suit and watch enthusiast as well. If you're looking at zegna pick something cheaper, but tasteful up now such as :
http://store.zegna.com/item/store/zzegna/tskay/B4ADC6EB/cod10/49126822QB

and once you have more financial freedom and spending money go out and get a nice bespoke (custom tailored) suit. These are usually much more expensive, but will last you a long time.

As for watches... a good watch will run for generations and will lose little to no value (depending on the watch). Rolex submariners are very nice. This one matches you suit (although I prefer the black one).

549449d1320422194-rolex-iwc-panerai-omega-desperately-need-your-help-guyz-basel-2009-rolex-submariner-116613lb-97203-gold-steel-blue-dial.jpg
 
Drizz, it's time to trade in your IWC collection and step your game up to a Patek :meanie: At least you get some bonus points for the AL&S.

I have a Calatrava, although there are a couple Pateks I have my eye on. They're a good investment, mine has appreciated ~100% since purchase. We haven't discussed most of the watches I own.
 
For the people on here living off student loans yet still wanting to look stylish in a well-made, custom tailored suit, I recommend the award winning web retailer, Indochino. Will be picking up one of these before interview season.

http://www.indochino.com/

[Full disclosure: I have no financial ties to indochino, but I wish I did because then I would be drowning in awesome suits.]


I'm getting married in about 9 months, and am seriously considering buying a tuxedo from Indochino (a proper tux, not one of those notch-lapel, two-button, flap pocket abortions with colorful prom vests/ties that people always rent from Mens Wearhouse). The main criticism of Indochino compared to similar (and slightly more expensive) companies like Black Lapel and Suit Supply is the quality of the fabrics used. A tux will get far less wear than any of my suits, so I am less concerned about having the most durable expensive fabric out there. And to my knowledge, there should not be a tremendously noticeable difference in appearance between the fabrics of Indochino vs SS or BL.
 
I have a Calatrava, although there are a couple Pateks I have my eye on. They're a good investment, mine has appreciated ~100% since purchase. We haven't discussed most of the watches I own.

Alright fine, you win. 😡

The main criticism of Indochino compared to similar (and slightly more expensive) companies like Black Lapel and Suit Supply is the quality of the fabrics used.

True, although I don't imagine I'd wear a suit very often during residency either. 5-10x a year tops. Congrats on getting hitched !
 
Last edited:
Drizz, it's time to trade in your IWC collection and step your game up to a Patek :meanie: At least you get some bonus points for the AL&S.



👍 Was going to respond to that post but you have done it far better already.

I have a Calatrava, although there are a couple Pateks I have my eye on. They're a good investment, mine has appreciated ~100% since purchase. We haven't discussed most of the watches I own.

Lol Patek Philippe is just pure baller. I've had my eye on something similar to this (forgot the name and couldn't find it online) for a while: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QMUE4pmNAkw/TbPhONwF6WI/AAAAAAAAJ_I/9xbzEjZn1mE/s1600/Patek-Philippe.jpg
40 grand though 🙁 Maybe a retirement present in 20 years...
 
Excellent Post. Thanks a lot. I actually quite like the suit you posted. Any insight between this brand and more expensive Zegna?

I mean, yeah, more money will get you a nicer Zegna suit. http://store.zegna.com/item/store/ermenegildozegna/tskay/B4ADC6EB/cod10/49126862LN
is undoubtedly a classier suit, but for that price, you're better off spending a little bit more and getting a bespoke suit. I probably wouldn't go above $1500 (or $2000 depending on the brand) for an off the rack, ready-to-wear suit. You can have the most expensive suit, but it can still look awful if it doesn't fit well. Made to measure zegna suits are just awesome.

Also, pinstripes look great, but keep in mind that solids are more versatile. They are appropriate for far more occasions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean, yeah, more money will get you a nicer Zegna suit. http://store.zegna.com/item/store/ermenegildozegna/tskay/B4ADC6EB/cod10/49126862LN
is undoubtedly a classier suit, but for that price, you're better off spending a little bit more and getting a bespoke suit. I probably wouldn't go above $1500 (or $2000 depending on the brand) for an off the rack, ready-to-wear suit. You can have the most expensive suit, but it can still look awful if it doesn't fit well. Made to measure zegna suits are just awesome.

Also, pinstripes look great, but keep in mind that solids are more versatile. They are appropriate for far more occasions.

QFT, do you know what the additional premium is for a made to measure Zegna? That's what I'm leaning towards. I could not agree more. Fit is everything. It really would be a waste of 3k if it's not tailored to my body.
 
QFT, do you know what the additional premium is for a made to measure Zegna? That's what I'm leaning towards. I could not agree more. Fit is everything. It really would be a waste of 3k if it's not tailored to my body.

I think it's usually 20% more than a comparable off the rack suit.
 
This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things
 
This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things

+1👍

People have their hobbies and interests. If yours is fine watches and/or male fashion, then thats just fine. I certainly wouldn't mind having a fancy sports car when I have the cash. However, in a thread about "what to wear to a residency interview," it seems a little out of place.

My answer would be any decent quality, conservatively colored and cut suit that fits you well. As the previous poster mentioned, $500 is more then enough for a good suit, and i'm sure one could be found for even cheaper if you know where to look. The goal is to look good and professional without being too flashy.
 
Unless he leaves the sleeve label on, most people would only be able to tell he was wearing a well cut suit that fit well, Zegna isn't exactly a distinctive style. That being said, as I wrote before, I wore Brioni to all my interviews, which does have a distinctive house style that any cognoscenti would be able to pick up on. It didn't make any negative difference whatsoever and may well have helped, as my PD is known for being very well-dressed, although the subject of interview attire hasn't yet come up.

The OP could certainly buy a good suit for $500; whether he should do that is up to him. People spend money on all kinds of unnecessary things, at least a well-cut suit is something he can use for years as long as he stays in about the same shape.

This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things
 
I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things

How dare people want to make money and enjoy that money. For shame.

Seriously, your post was very stupid.
 
This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things

I don't think you read any of this forum before posting that... As the op explained, he previously held a job in finance. He's not just a fresh med student. Liking nice suits doesn't make you artificial. If you don't care about such things thats fine. None of us really care. But please don't project your insecurities onto others and act like the average med student is beneath you just because they have a taste for cars, watches, suits, etc. Honestly, the op already stated the budget he was considering. Suits can be a good investment. No sense in critiquing his choices. It's not constructive.
 
Seriously, you guys act as if there is this magical line where 500-600 is completely reasonable to where 1.5-2.5k is utterly ludicrous and perhaps borderline criminal. Really? 1-1.5k makes THAT much of a difference? I don't think so. In fact, I find it more wasteful to buy a $600 suit you use only for interviews and then discard because you had no real fondness for it. Whereas, that nice suit can be used indefinitely and through the status changes (two residents make about 100k, which isn't peanuts if you have no debt).

My application will speak for itself. My interview clothing is irrelevant to my suitability for a residency program, unless I convey I am a slob or something. Most reasonable people would agree. A nice suit, well, makes you look nice and gives you confidence -- which is is easily the most important thing on interview day.

Anyone really think people are going to ****can my app because I look nice on interview day? If that happened, I'd be happy that it happened because that's not a program I'd want to attend anyway. The interview is as much me making a decision as it is the residency program.

This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things
 
This thread is definitely worth a few laughs. First of all, yes the Zegna suits you posted are very nice. Some of the watches are pretty nice too. Some thoughts:

1) YOU ARE A MEDICAL STUDENT, stop pretending you are some balling doctor.
2) You should not be spending $2600 on a Zegna suit before you are even making money as a resident. A zegna suit is something you should buy after a few years of getting paid.
3) Any doctor who is not superficial will think "hmm why is some kid who hasn't even started making money yet wearing a nicer suit than most the doctors here? Answer: Rich spoiled daddys boy"

You come off as very fake and superficial. If any doctor is impressed because you have you can "afford" to buy a $2600 suit, well thats just quite pathetic.

You can get a nice suit for $400-500 at Nordstrom on Sale (ie Hugo Boss or another respectable brand). As for the watch, any watch with a leather strap will do

Professional looking does not equal expensive. I dont know what is is with the artificial people on SDN and their desire for fancy cars, houses, suits, watches, etc. Its quite sad that our generation of medical students cares about these sort of things

Why not just buy a $100 suit at H+M then what's the point in spending 4-500.
 
Seriously, you guys act as if there is this magical line where 500-600 is completely reasonable to where 1.5-2.5k is utterly ludicrous and perhaps borderline criminal. Really? 1-1.5k makes THAT much of a difference?

The vast majority of your peers will be saddled with debt and just starting out in life. For many residency will be the first real job they have had. Some will be trying to fund weddings in all of this, some will be trying to fund daycare, some will have kids and will be sole breadwinners in their families.

So yes, to answer your question, depending on the circumstances 1-1.5k can make A LOT of difference. If you do not understand this, prepare to be labeled a d-bag by your used Civic-driving colleagues (which will be most of them).
 
The vast majority of your peers will be saddled with debt and just starting out in life. For many residency will be the first real job they have had. Some will be trying to fund weddings in all of this, some will be trying to fund daycare, some will have kids and will be sole breadwinners in their families.

So yes, to answer your question, depending on the circumstances 1-1.5k can make A LOT of difference. If you do not understand this, prepare to be labeled a d-bag by your used Civic-driving colleagues (which will be most of them).

i think he is referring to people considering it downright criminal when someone wears a better suit/watch than you compared to other assets or other luxury purchases such as car/house

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he drives a BMW that is worth 30k more than your used civic?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he owns a house that is worth 100k more than your your house?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has season tickets to his favorite pro team when you don't?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has an art collection and you don't?

if you answered no to any of these questions, then why would you label your colleague a d-bag if he wears a suit/watch that is worth 1-1.5k more than yours?
 
The vast majority of your peers will be saddled with debt and just starting out in life. For many residency will be the first real job they have had. Some will be trying to fund weddings in all of this, some will be trying to fund daycare, some will have kids and will be sole breadwinners in their families.

So yes, to answer your question, depending on the circumstances 1-1.5k can make A LOT of difference. If you do not understand this, prepare to be labeled a d-bag by your used Civic-driving colleagues (which will be most of them).

i think he is referring to people considering it downright criminal when someone wears a better suit/watch than you compared to other assets or other luxury purchases such as car/house

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he drives a BMW that is worth 30k more than your used civic?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he owns a house that is worth 100k more than your your house?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has season tickets to his favorite pro team when you don't?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has an art collection and you don't?

if you answered no to any of these questions, then why would you label your colleague a d-bag if he wears a suit/watch that is worth 1-1.5k more than yours?

Exactly. I may not have debt but that's because of careful planning and sacrifice on my part. I don't see any fault in using whatever discretionary income I have as I see fit. Your argument is basically that I shouldn't have nicer things than my peers or I'll be seen as a douche. That's a messed up way to think about things.
 
i think he is referring to people considering it downright criminal when someone wears a better suit/watch than you compared to other assets or other luxury purchases such as car/house

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he drives a BMW that is worth 30k more than your used civic?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he owns a house that is worth 100k more than your your house?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has season tickets to his favorite pro team when you don't?

would u label your colleague a d-bag if he has an art collection and you don't?

if you answered no to any of these questions, then why would you label your colleague a d-bag if he wears a suit/watch that is worth 1-1.5k more than yours?

Reading comprehension fail. The potential fault isn't having the extra money, it's not grasping that your fellow residents are going to be broke as hell and would step over their own mothers for an extra $1,500.

Put another way, I don't consider my colleagues d-bags who drive nicer cars, own more expensive homes, have season tickets to pro games, or possess expensive works of art. I would, however, consider them d-bags if they expressed incredulousness as to why I don't drive a nicer car, own a more expensive home, have season tickets, or possess walls of original paintings. Get it?
 
Reading comprehension fail. The potential fault isn't having the extra money, it's not grasping that your fellow residents are going to be broke as hell and would step over their own mothers for an extra $1,500.

How is that anyone else's problem but their own? It's not like I'm actively talking about my suit or bragging about it. Most people wouldn't even notice; they'd just see a nicely dressed person.

1.5k may mean a lot to people who are 200k in debt, etc, but it means a whole hell of a lot more to someone who is on food stamps or homeless (insert example of anyone less well off than avg resident). Does that mean I have to live my life to accommodate their feelings? 1.5 means very little to me right now and I think it's worth it for a nice suit. That has absolutely no effect whatsoever on other residents or attendings.

Look, no one is expressing incredulity at the 1.5k difference. If someone is loaded with debt and no income, spending hard will only deepen the financial grave... I was talking about myself in the past post. There is no difference in my financial health from spending an additional 1.5-2k on a suit. I completely empathize and understand if most residents aren't in a position to do so. I don't think poorly that they aren't wearing something just as expensive -- obviously. That said, I don't care about other people's finances. I just worry about my own and enjoy my life how I please. Spare me the condescension.
 
Last edited:
Honestly I've been reading this post with some lols from both sides of the aisle.

I don't think I would be super inclined to wear $2k suits, but if people want to and not be all up in my face about it, more power to them. I'd rather save the money for a nicer car/house. But that's simply my personal preference. It's their money, and as long as they're not being condescending, they can where a $20k suit for all I care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How is that anyone else's problem but their own? It's not like I'm actively talking about my suit or bragging about it. Most people wouldn't even notice; they'd just see a nicely dressed person.

1.5k may mean a lot to people who are 200k in debt, etc, but it means a whole hell of a lot more to someone who is on food stamps or homeless (insert example of anyone less well off than avg resident). Does that mean I have to live my life to accommodate their feelings? 1.5 means very little to me right now and I think it's worth it for a nice suit. That has absolutely no effect whatsoever on other residents or attendings.

Look, no one is expressing incredulity at the 1.5k difference. If someone is loaded with debt and no income, spending hard will only deepen the financial grave... I was talking about myself in the past post. There is no difference in my financial health from spending an additional 1.5-2k on a suit. I completely empathize and understand if most residents aren't in a position to do so. I don't think poorly that they aren't wearing something just as expensive -- obviously. That said, I don't care about other people's finances. I just worry about my own and enjoy my life how I please. Spare me the condescension.

A little story. One of my fellow residents came from a very well-to-do family, had med school paid for, parents bought her a very nice condo for residency, gave her dad's old BMW, etc. She was the sort who would go shopping at Nieman Marcus and never look at the price tags. Christmas in St. Barth's, that sort of thing. I don't think I ever saw her in the same piece of clothing twice.

One of the other residents had two small kids, and her husband didn't work in order to look after them. She sitting in the resident room one afternoon talking about how she was going to spend her staycation cleaning up all the months of filth that had accumulated in her home. The affluent resident was sitting next to her, and looked over with this really perturbed expression. She cocked her head to the side a bit, brow furrowed, and said "Why don't you get a maid?"

There wasn't a cat fight that day, but it was close.

Obviously we don't know each other, so you may be the nicest, most humble person on Earth. All I'm saying is that if you become known as the debt-free guy who wears four-figure suits, some people will use that as an excuse to resent you.
 
Lulz, what a jerk that rich person is! Oh wait, I actually had a similar experience last week.

Same story, except: The affluent resident was sitting next to her, and looked over with this really concerned expression. She tilted her head back a bit with a wide grin, and said "Why don't you leave your kids with me that day, while you're busy catching up with other things at home? I love kids and it'd give you and your husband some time to yourselves." The overworked resident replied with a confused stare, in disbelief at how badly she had misjudged her fellow resident. She gratefully accepted, and they became the bestest of best friends in the whole wide world. 😍

What an amazing coincidence that our stories are so similar but with such markedly drastic outcomes. Gee, funny how bias works, huh?

A little story. One of my fellow residents came from a very well-to-do family, had med school paid for, parents bought her a very nice condo for residency, gave her dad's old BMW, etc. She was the sort who would go shopping at Nieman Marcus and never look at the price tags. Christmas in St. Barth's, that sort of thing. I don't think I ever saw her in the same piece of clothing twice.

One of the other residents had two small kids, and her husband didn't work in order to look after them. She sitting in the resident room one afternoon talking about how she was going to spend her staycation cleaning up all the months of filth that had accumulated in her home. The affluent resident was sitting next to her, and looked over with this really perturbed expression. She cocked her head to the side a bit, brow furrowed, and said "Why don't you get a maid?"

There wasn't a cat fight that day, but it was close.

Obviously we don't know each other, so you may be the nicest, most humble person on Earth. All I'm saying is that if you become known as the debt-free guy who wears four-figure suits, some people will use that as an excuse to resent you.
 
Last edited:
Lulz, what a jerk that rich person is! Oh wait, I actually had a similar experience last week.

Same story, except: The affluent resident was sitting next to her, and looked over with this really concerned expression. She tilted her head back a bit with a wide grin, and said "Why don't you leave your kids with me that day, while you're busy catching up with other things at home? I love kids and it'd give you and your husband some time to yourselves." The overworked resident replied with a confused stare, in disbelief at how badly she had misjudged her fellow resident. She gratefully accepted, and they became the bestest of best friends in the whole wide world. 😍

What an amazing coincidence that our stories are so similar but with such markedly drastic outcomes. Gee, funny how bias works, huh?

My bad, you will be well liked by all.
 
I thought every resident was drowning in six figure debt...

:scared:
Scholarships

Nope, just the unwashed masses.
Sigh.

You people are giant dbags. I would wager 90% of these superficial clowns obsessing about 3k suits are from the east coast.
False. No one is obsessing about 3k suits and I'm not from the NE and I doubt drizz is either (that's your bias).

The intent of the thread was to discuss fashionable men's suits for residency, not judgement from people who think there is an arbitrary rule where luxury items are off limits until you're an attending (because, obviously, it's totally cool then...).

I'm pretty sure many residents buy luxury cars and condos as residents or medical students. This is far less dramatic than that, and it's financial responsible for me personally to buy such a suit. I would argue you are being a d-bag for calling me a d-bag just because you think that's "too expensive" for me to buy. Please point out how my logic is flawed.
 
The intent of the thread was to discuss fashionable men's suits for residency,

And like all threads where men discuss fashion, it has devolved into a celebration of narcissistic d-baggery. Congratulations, enjoy your entry level Zenga suit.
 
Scholarships


Sigh.


False. No one is obsessing about 3k suits and I'm not from the NE and I doubt drizz is either (that's your bias).

The intent of the thread was to discuss fashionable men's suits for residency, not judgement from people who think there is an arbitrary rule where luxury items are off limits until you're an attending (because, obviously, it's totally cool then...).

I'm pretty sure many residents buy luxury cars and condos as residents or medical students. This is far less dramatic than that, and it's financial responsible for me personally to buy such a suit. I would argue you are being a d-bag for calling me a d-bag just because you think that's "too expensive" for me to buy. Please point out how my logic is flawed.

I would say the same thing about attendings obsessing about brand names and ridiculously expensive (it doesn't matter if you can afford it) CLOTHING. Anyone who cares this much about being "well-dressed" (a.k.a. wanting to feel superior to others by showing off your wealth non-stop) is a shallow and fake person, plain and simple.
 
I would say the same thing about attendings obsessing about brand names and ridiculously expensive (it doesn't matter if you can afford it) CLOTHING. Anyone who cares this much about being "well-dressed" (a.k.a. wanting to feel superior to others by showing off your wealth non-stop) is a shallow and fake person, plain and simple.

Seriously? "showing off your wealth non-stop"? Um, a suit is not outwardly branded. Most people have no idea how expensive your suit is. As previously mentioned, a cheaper well-tailored suit trumps the most expensive suits that are poorly fitting. This is not buying a 100k M5 and bragging about it to anyone who cares to see.

"shallow and fake"? Tell me how you really feel about me. Jeez, I'm posting anonymously in a forum for other people's take, particularly since (unfortunately) I know judgmental people like you are out there. Helpful posters with more maturity and experience have commented, which fulfilled the purpose of the thread. What have you done? All you've done is basically taken a **** on me for no reason, other than you think I'm "shallow and fake". You don't know anything about me or how I got to be where I am. I'm embarrassed for you. lol, you sound like a borderline adolescent. Everything black and white for you, huh?
 
Anyone who cares this much about being "well-dressed" (a.k.a. wanting to feel superior to others by showing off your wealth non-stop) is a shallow and fake person, plain and simple.

I think you can be quietly and conservatively well-dressed. It shows respect for your patients and your colleagues. I pay attention to how I dress for a lot of reasons. Yes, I also do it to feel good. Just like eating right, exercising, and taking care of myself.
 
And like all threads where men discuss fashion, it has devolved into a celebration of narcissistic d-baggery. Congratulations, enjoy your entry level Zenga suit.

That's your opinion. I respectfully disagree. We are all entitled to use whatever money we have however we please. Fortunately, other people here agree and have provided me with some helpful advice.
 
You people are giant dbags. I would wager 90% of these superficial clowns obsessing about 3k suits are from the east coast.

I would say the same thing about attendings obsessing about brand names and ridiculously expensive (it doesn't matter if you can afford it) CLOTHING. Anyone who cares this much about being "well-dressed" (a.k.a. wanting to feel superior to others by showing off your wealth non-stop) is a shallow and fake person, plain and simple.

I would wager that you are an insecure dbag. Dressing well is for yourself, not for anyone else. As someone else mentioned, many people cannot tell the difference between a $10000 and $500 suit. We don't really care about anyone else's opinion of how we dress or act. We are secure enough to not care. A quality suit looks sharp, fits well, and will last many years. You came here, fully knowing the content of this thread, just to flaunt your flawed argument and condescending tone. You are the one who is shallow and fake. If you weren't, you wouldn't care how other people dressed and you wouldn't display such d-baggery.

And like all threads where men discuss fashion, it has devolved into a celebration of narcissistic d-baggery. Congratulations, enjoy your entry level Zenga suit.

So you came to the thread fully knowing the content of thread and that "all threads where men discuss fashion...devolve into a celebration of narcissistic d-baggery" just to call everyone here dbags? Sounds like you are the only dbag (along with Schroedinger'sCat) in this thread. OP asked for advice on purchasing a suit. He was fully aware that members in the audience would have more expensive suits than him. How is that d-baggery?

If you don't care for suits, watches, etc. that's cool. No one in this thread really cares. You have come to a thread about men's suits to comment that everyone here is a dbag... You're being a dbag for posting your condescending, unhelpful remarks. Most people here have made constructive remarks to genuinely answer questions. If you think that this thread is pure d-baggery then why are you still in this here?
 
if I was the interviewer and noticed you were wearing something that costs thousands of dollars I would be completely turned off by you!
 
if I was the interviewer and noticed you were wearing something that costs thousands of dollars I would be completely turned off by you!

a) You probably wouldn't be able to distinguish something that costs thousands of dollars...
b) It's not your job as an interviewer to judge people for how they dress...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if I was the interviewer and noticed you were wearing something that costs thousands of dollars I would be completely turned off by you!

That's because you have the mindset of a broke undergraduate. Nobody with a couple years of real work experience thinks like this.
 
So you came to the thread fully knowing the content of thread and that "all threads where men discuss fashion...devolve into a celebration of narcissistic d-baggery" just to call everyone here dbags?

No, I came here with legitimate advice, although I made a mistake in assuming the OP is of standard resident means. And I have not called anyone here a d-bag.
 
Your goal with residency interviews is to look pretty boring. I know the skinny suits are in right now, but they'll look dated in just a few years. Color: charcoal. Works equally well for interviews, weddings, funerals, and just about everything else. Brand: no need to break the bank, especially since your odds of gaining or losing large amounts of weight in residency approach 100%. Brooks Brothers, a major department store, or even Men's Wearhouse can make you look perfectly snappy.

Watch is optional these days. I personally prefer the Victorinox Officer's series. They cost some dough but look totally professional and will last for many years.

This has always been my approach to just about everything. Btw with all these clothing threads all across SDN, assuming you don't look like a complete *****, how much does attire matter? I'm assuming somewhere around 2%