Residency Match Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

someonesomething

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the negativity; I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for not Matching in two weeks so I'm ready for Phase 2. Does anyone know exactly what the rejection email says (no one posts that they didn't match, so I've only ever seen the "congratulations you matched email") and how/when you learn about the Unmatched residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably better to wait for class of 2016 and beyond who had the two rounds of matching, but for our year (only 1 round existed at the time then scramble), the subject matter states "Regarding your matching result". You will not know whether you match or not until you open the email.

I didn't sleep the night before the match :beat:

Reactions: 1 user
To: xxxxxxxxxxx

This message provides you with your Match result for Phase I of the ASHP Resident Matching Program for residency positions beginning in 2017.

We regret to inform you that you did not match to a position.

You are eligible to participate in Phase II of the Match. You will be able to access PhORCAS to prepare applications for Phase II beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on March 17 and to submit applications to programs participating in Phase II beginning on March 21.

A list of programs with positions available in Phase II of the Match will be provided beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on March 17, 2017 on the Match web site at (website)

More information about participating in Phase II of the Match can be found on the (website)

Please do not respond to this e-mail. There is no need for you to also check your Match result online, as the information provided online is the same as in this message.

gut wrenching but to the point :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the negativity; I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for not Matching in two weeks so I'm ready for Phase 2. Does anyone know exactly what the rejection email says (no one posts that they didn't match, so I've only ever seen the "congratulations you matched email") and how/when you learn about the Unmatched residency programs?
Think about success, imagine that you are getting accepted to the program of your choice in phase 1. These thoughts will send out positive vibrations to the universe and the universe will provide you the opportunities for you to succeed. Thinking negatively will bring negative result. Imagining failure e-mails will attract failure. So, imagine that you are receiving acceptance e-mail and you are preparing for doing well in your residency program.

Reactions: 2 users
To: xxxxxxxxxxx

This message provides you with your Match result for Phase I of the ASHP Resident Matching Program for residency positions beginning in 2017.

We regret to inform you that you did not match to a position.

You are eligible to participate in Phase II of the Match. You will be able to access PhORCAS to prepare applications for Phase II beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on March 17 and to submit applications to programs participating in Phase II beginning on March 21.

A list of programs with positions available in Phase II of the Match will be provided beginning at 12:00 p.m. noon Eastern Time on March 17, 2017 on the Match web site at (website)

More information about participating in Phase II of the Match can be found on the (website)

Please do not respond to this e-mail. There is no need for you to also check your Match result online, as the information provided online is the same as in this message.

gut wrenching but to the point :)

Thank you so much! Reading the email definitely helps (I like that it talks immediately about Phase II, this year we can start submitting applications by March 23 it looks like!), it'll hurt to get but I'm more prepared. It's so official and distant sounding haha.

For phase 2, does anyone know if it is it basically a speedy version of phase 1 in terms of using PhORCAS, or should we start reaching out to programs and program directors as soon as we can?

Think about success, imagine that you are getting accepted to the program of your choice in phase 1. These thoughts will send out positive vibrations to the universe and the universe will provide you the opportunities for you to succeed. Thinking negatively will bring negative result. Imagining failure e-mails will attract failure. So, imagine that you are receiving acceptance e-mail and you are preparing for doing well in your residency program.

I'm trying to be optimistic but after all the rejections for interviews and the feeling of leaving interviews without the program really getting to know me (I'm not a good interviewer), I just want to stay realistic! Thank you, though! I'll try my best! ;)

Thank you so much! Reading the email definitely helps (I like that it talks immediately about Phase II, this year we can start submitting applications by March 23 it looks like!), it'll hurt to get but I'm more prepared. It's so official and distant sounding haha.

For phase 2, does anyone know if it is it basically a speedy version of phase 1 in terms of using PhORCAS, or should we start reaching out to programs and program directors as soon as we can?

I'm trying to be optimistic but after all the rejections for interviews and the feeling of leaving interviews without the program really getting to know me (I'm not a good interviewer), I just want to stay realistic! Thank you, though! I'll try my best! ;)
I matched for PGY-1 in phase II last year, so dreams do come true haha. It is beyond accelerated...let's just say there is no time for an emotional regroup! That said, it's not the worst thing that can happen (hindsight speaking here) but I am still not far enough removed to look back fondly :) I have a little PTSD in the back of my mind going into PGY-2 match haha. Good luck!

I matched for PGY-1 in phase II last year, so dreams do come true haha. It is beyond accelerated...let's just say there is no time for an emotional regroup! That said, it's not the worst thing that can happen (hindsight speaking here) but I am still not far enough removed to look back fondly :) I have a little PTSD in the back of my mind going into PGY-2 match haha. Good luck!
How do you find out how many position are available at each location for phase 2 match

Where did you match? Also, do you have a list of hospitals available for phase II match? Thanks!

The list of openings available for phase II gets published at 12 noon the day phase I match results come out.