Residency Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Penadol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to get residency in California if not attending CSPM or Western? I am deciding between Scholl and Barry, and not sure which one is better if I want to be matched for residency in California later?

Members don't see this ad.

No it's not. I know of two Scholl graduates from last year's class that are doing their first year of residency at two different CA programs.

Do you know which programs? What cities are they in? Also, this is a bit early for me to inquire about this but while it is brought up, does anyone know how to go about figuring out which residencies are the best? Is residency kind of like the school which supposedly "doesn't really matter" or is there some sort of list that ranks them on what area of podiatry you're interested in?

Do you know which programs? What cities are they in? Also, this is a bit early for me to inquire about this but while it is brought up, does anyone know how to go about figuring out which residencies are the best? Is residency kind of like the school which supposedly "doesn't really matter" or is there some sort of list that ranks them on what area of podiatry you're interested in?

you have a million things to worry about before you even consider residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)

I know. It's more out of curiosity. I've always wondered how they figure out which ones are good and what it takes to get one. It's never too early to figure out what stats are needed so I can set my goals high from the start. Any general info on getting a good residency is much appreciated!

start here: http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp

research the forums for people's comments on residencies as well. usually you figure this stuff out by speaking with you school's residency director or via word of mouth with other students. but personally, research this yourself and come to your own conclusions. not sure about a program? contact the person in charge and dig up more information.

Thanks for the great resource. I had seen that before but had forgotten where it was.... I know what residency I am shooting for... Guess I am going to need to be top 1/3 of my class next fall..

What does "CRIP Location" stand for? Thanks

I agree that the exact location and specifics of your residency before being admitted is a little insane, but considering the possibility of not getting a residency at all is something to think about.

I know before I decided for sure that pod is something I want to do, I was concerned about the future of residency availability. I have since decided to trust the system and hope for the best once that day happens for me.

Is it difficult to get residency in California if not attending CSPM or Western? I am deciding between Scholl and Barry, and not sure which one is better if I want to be matched for residency in California later?

My understanding is that during your externship, your preformance and how well you fit in/get along with everyone is the biggest plus or minus to your residency selection(even over what school you attended!). Class rank is another important factor.

If you do a quick search on this site, you will find loads of info! Good Luck!

My understanding is that during your externship, your preformance and how well you fit in/get along with everyone is the biggest plus or minus to your residency selection(even over what school you attended!). Class rank is another important factor.

If you do a quick search on this site, you will find loads of info! Good Luck!

Thanks Sabin :)

Is class rank mainly decided by test scores and grades?

Usually the choice comes down to two options: Raise a thread from the dead, or post a topic that has already been posted 10+ times. If you raise from the dead, someone will inevitably jump on you for that, without fail. If you post a topic thats already been done, someone will snarkily remind you that the search function exists for a reason. Me, I just don't care, my hands are in the air, (I'm so white)

There are many ways to judge. When you know more of what you want, it is easier to pick a residency. During first year you may love surgery. Then you take surgery class and don't like it, but then treat some diabetics and like wound care. It can change many times.

I've taken to looking at ACFAS speakers and other conference lecturers, searching people on PubMed to see what they have published, etc. If you want to do peds, then look for peds lecturers that are also directors. If you want to do surgery, track down ACFAS speakers. If you don't want surgery, get on ACFAOM's mailing list or ABPOPPM if they have one. Go to Podiatry Today and see what people are publishing. Go on Podiatry Live. Go to PRESENT podiatry and see who are the lecturers. Go to Podiatry management and see who the panelists are. Then find what programs these people work at.

Its a lot easier to just throw a dart at the list.

All residencies used to be PMS 24 or PMS 36. They are now changing to PMSR (The PMS title is simply changing). That is podiatric medicine and surgery residency, along those lines. The Cert part means that you earn certification in rearfoot surgery.

If you plan on ever doing rearfoot/ankle surgery, you need to attend a PMSR Cert.

That is my understanding, hopefully others can elucidate further.

Do you know the difference between PMS-36 and PMSR cert?

I was wondering the same thing actually, when I was looking at the webpage, they both seem to be 36 months and have rear foot reconstruction....

I was wondering the same thing actually, when I was looking at the webpage, they both seem to be 36 months and have rear foot reconstruction....

At the end of the day, it's basically a name change representing the newer "standard" in podiatric medical training. Those who sit on the committees and come up with these "advancements" would disagree, but realistically the programs that are "converting" are not changing much if at all, other than the certificate that they give to their graduating residents. .

At the end of the day, it's basically a name change representing the newer "standard" in podiatric medical training. Those who sit on the committees and come up with these "advancements" would disagree, but realistically the programs that are "converting" are not changing much if at all, other than the certificate that they give to their graduating residents. .

Gotcha! Thanks!!