Residency program competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. Sorry if this is super redundant. But, does anyone have any resource that can be posted relative to average Step I and class rank etc. of the various anesthesia residency programs out there??

I'll be applying in September, and want to be realistic about where to apply etc. That is, I mostly want to apply to programs in which I will be competitive, obviously.

Thanks in advance.

cf

p.s. I'm not totally inept as I plan on delving into this further next month during my anethesia elective (and will be speaking with the PD at my program soon), but I'd like to get a jump on it as I have some time this month to look into programs, at least via the internet.

Members don't see this ad.

I would't focus too much on numbers and stats for the programs, different programs will have different cuttoffs and many top programs don't focus on numbers as much as you think. My guess is that you have a pretty good idea of how competitive you are compared to others you know.

My advice at this point would be to apply broadly, ie a bunch of "top programs"/reaches, some middle ones and a few "safeties". Once you start getting your interviews you'll have a much better idea of how people are viewing you.

Also, I can't overemphisize how important geography and the happiness of the residents are in making your decision.

You've spent ~$200,000 on your education to this point, do you really think a few extra dollars for 5 or so applications will change anything.

I would't focus too much on numbers and stats for the programs, different programs will have different cuttoffs and many top programs don't focus on numbers as much as you think. My guess is that you have a pretty good idea of how competitive you are compared to others you know.

My advice at this point would be to apply broadly, ie a bunch of "top programs"/reaches, some middle ones and a few "safeties". Once you start getting your interviews you'll have a much better idea of how people are viewing you.

Also, I can't overemphisize how important geography and the happiness of the residents are in making your decision.

You've spent ~$200,000 on your education to this point, do you really think a few extra dollars for 5 or so applications will change anything.

I agree with the bold 100%

I just want to target programs realistically. I'll apply broadly, but don't want to waste too much time on way out of reach programs. I'd rather apply broadly to realistic programs, though I'll throw out some "outliers".

Hey. Sorry if this is super redundant. But, does anyone have any resource that can be posted relative to average Step I and class rank etc. of the various anesthesia residency programs out there??

My experience from the interview trail: program competitiveness is determined by a) reputation, b) desirability of the location. And this (again, just my opinion) determines the caliber of students who apply and get interviews.

(What happens with ROL is largely location and perceived resident happiness as stated before)

So, an outstanding institution like WashU or UFlorida may not strictly be as competitive on a Step 1 or class rank scale (due to so-so locations) as, say, UColorado, which IMHO is merely a good/OK program in an extremely desireable location and gets top applicants.