1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

residency questions

Discussion in 'Pharmacy Residencies and Fellowships' started by Suey, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Suey

Suey Member
    7+ Year Member

if you apply for a residency, is it gauranteed that you'll get into at least 1 program...is that how Match list works? Or is it very difficult to get a residency, especially in CA? I was speaking with someone who told me that their friend is having a very tough time finding a pharm residency. Also, what is the stipend they give you vs how many hours you do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OP
    OP
    Suey

Suey Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rutpharm

rutpharm Member
    7+ Year Member

there is no guarantee for the residency positions, for the more competitive positions especially in California a high applicant to acceptance ratio is seen, one of the positions I applied to had more than 70 applicants for 6 positions. If an applicant is willing to travel or apply to a newer or less competitive position generally a residency can be found.

4. calcium boy

calcium boy Member
    7+ Year Member

Why do you want to do a residency program? As a resident you make about half of what a pharmacist makes. I would say if you want to do retail pharmcay like walgreens a residency is useless. You just lose half your pay. If you want to work as a clinical pharmacist then it is worth doing a residency but it is still hard to find a job when your done. A freind of mine works in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist in chicago in a horrible neighborhood the spot open at the time in the chicagoland area. He works alot of hours, he is paid salary unlike retail, the pay is $15,000 less than retail, but he loves it.

5. keiki

keiki Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

suey you should check out the ashp residency web page . it'll probably answer a lot of the basic questions you have about doing a residency. i'm hoping to do one when i graduate!