• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

residency questions

Suey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
if you apply for a residency, is it gauranteed that you'll get into at least 1 program...is that how Match list works? Or is it very difficult to get a residency, especially in CA? I was speaking with someone who told me that their friend is having a very tough time finding a pharm residency. Also, what is the stipend they give you vs how many hours you do?

rutpharm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2003
there is no guarantee for the residency positions, for the more competitive positions especially in California a high applicant to acceptance ratio is seen, one of the positions I applied to had more than 70 applicants for 6 positions. If an applicant is willing to travel or apply to a newer or less competitive position generally a residency can be found.

About the Ads

calcium boy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2002
chicago
Why do you want to do a residency program? As a resident you make about half of what a pharmacist makes. I would say if you want to do retail pharmcay like walgreens a residency is useless. You just lose half your pay. If you want to work as a clinical pharmacist then it is worth doing a residency but it is still hard to find a job when your done. A freind of mine works in a hospital as a clinical pharmacist in chicago in a horrible neighborhood the spot open at the time in the chicagoland area. He works alot of hours, he is paid salary unlike retail, the pay is $15,000 less than retail, but he loves it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.