Residency Review Discussions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maybe they posted anonymously...

Members don't see this ad.

Did I seriously just read a review about Northwestern saying that the public transportation wasn't great in Chicago? Uhm - what city has better public transportation? Chicago has to be in the top five or ten cities when it comes to public transportation...

when I was in Chicago, I heard them and NYC were the only cities with 24hr subway/trains.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I seriously just read a review about Northwestern saying that the public transportation wasn't great in Chicago? Uhm - what city has better public transportation? Chicago has to be in the top five or ten cities when it comes to public transportation...

to clarify, chicago public transport does not have stops easily accessible in all parts of town. i've used it many times over the course of many years and been around much of the city using it. i have interviewed at 3 chicago residencies and think that you'd need a car at all of them to hit off-service sites. also not THAT easy to live near a stop and train to work without adding a goodly chunk of time to either end of the shift. not saying public transport isn't always running or one of the best in the states, but cities i've been to that i thought were better are nyc, dc, london, and paris. just my opinion *shrug*

FWIW Chicago's El train stops for a few hours a day except for weekends I think. IIRC the El stops around 1 and restarts at like 430 am.

With regards to the eL......Some lines (red/blue) run all night but the time between trains increases and some don't (orange, green, brown, Pink).

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html

Most people, i.e residents live along/near the red/blue lines in general.
To be honest, it saves time to use a car in Chicago. However, you can get nearly anywhere by public transit.....it just takes longer.

How did this become a discussion about Chicago's public transportation?

Anymore reviews?

I've just finished up 5 interviews in 8 days...I've got a bunch coming after I get home tomorrow. I've got to actually now sit down and try to figure out the details of all these places. I'm so confused....:D

Here's the list to wet your appetite...
BMC, Downstate, Drexel, GT, UofMd (but I'll skip the redundancy of GT since we've got a bunch already). Give me a few days and I'll deliver.

I am an academic asst PD and have had exposure with graduates from the Penn program as attendings when I was a resident, and as colleagues in my current position. I can tell you that I an unimpressed with Penn's graduates. In my experience, Penn graduates have not seen many high acuity patients and cannot practice in a busy, high volume, high acuity EDs. The research name is impressive, but is carried on the databasing skils of Richard Levitan and Judd Hollander. I have found graduates from the program who attempt to do research are relatively unskilled in research methodlogy. Nice facilities are always a bonus, but in the end you need to be challenged with a busy ED with a lot of sick people in order to achieve clinical competence. I don't Penn has what it takes

Dude, this seems to have come out of left field...I'm assuming that grads from Penn can at least spell and use correct grammar though.

I am an academic asst PD and have had exposure with graduates from the Penn program as attendings when I was a resident, and as colleagues in my current position. I can tell you that I an unimpressed with Penn's graduates. In my experience, Penn graduates have not seen many high acuity patients and cannot practice in a busy, high volume, high acuity EDs. The research name is impressive, but is carried on the databasing skils of Richard Levitan and Judd Hollander. I have found graduates from the program who attempt to do research are relatively unskilled in research methodlogy. Nice facilities are always a bonus, but in the end you need to be challenged with a busy ED with a lot of sick people in order to achieve clinical competence. I don't Penn has what it takes

BS.

First, no half-decent PD would badmouth another program in public.
Second, most PDs I've met have a command of the English language that you are clearly lacking.

My guess is that you are a gunner hoping to match at Penn despite your mediocre credentials.

If you are indeed an assistant PD then I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I would be disappointed to learn that such a classless PD exists.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a good chance that they're an M1-3 who hasn't started interviews yet.

Good point. I'm no longer annoyed... I must've been in a bad mood that day for some reason.

With regards to the eL......Some lines (red/blue) run all night but the time between trains increases and some don't (orange, green, brown, Pink).

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html

Most people, i.e residents live along/near the red/blue lines in general.
To be honest, it saves time to use a car in Chicago. However, you can get nearly anywhere by public transit.....it just takes longer.

I lived in Chicago for 5 yrs.. I dont think this is correct. the trains stop running late at night. Anyhow the system isnt that great. Good luck getting to Res or Cook (dangerous) or the U of C using the El..

your time is too valuable.. get a car and use it.

BS.

First, no half-decent PD would badmouth another program in public.
Second, most PDs I've met have a command of the English language that you are clearly lacking.

My guess is that you are a gunner hoping to match at Penn despite your mediocre credentials.

If you are indeed an assistant PD then I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I would be disappointed to learn that such a classless PD exists.

Agreed. If you are an asst PD then tell us what program?

Anyways we have an attending here from Penn and he is great. He knows his stuff etc.. Great great dude and we work in a high volume high acuity setting.

I lived in Chicago for 5 yrs.. I dont think this is correct. the trains stop running late at night. Anyhow the system isnt that great. Good luck getting to Res or Cook (dangerous) or the U of C using the El..

your time is too valuable.. get a car and use it.

i know this isn't in keeping with the thread, adn someone else already said this above, but i've lived in chicago for 27 years... and shanley's right.

the blue and red lines do not stop; they run 24/7. now, the 54th/cermak branch of the blue line (now the pink line) didn't run 24/7, but from forest park to ohare (blue), and howard to 95th st (red), the trains run ATC. yes, lesser frequency in off-peak/overnight situations, but still ATC.

Res: not so tough - get off @ harlem from blue, take harlem bus 2 blocks north (or walk) and get on talcott bus. takes 10 minutes from train station

CCH/Stroger: blue line stop 2 blocks away - probably don't want to be using this @ night, though. however, during day is perfectly OK (have done to get to UIC without problems, and good friend of mine is a resident @ CCH and she has no problems, ever.)

UofC: this is the only one that's truly "tough" to get to on the 'L', notably b/c the south shore is primarily serviced by the metra electic line; but if live downtown/near north, is easy to get to randolph st station, take metra south to 59th, and take free UofC hospitals shuttle bus down Midway Plaisance.

the 'L' rocks... don't be bashin it. d=)

-t

ps - forgive the bad spelling/grammar... post call and waiting to round. ugh.

i know this isn't in keeping with the thread, adn someone else already said this above, but i've lived in chicago for 27 years... and shanley's right.

the blue and red lines do not stop; they run 24/7. now, the 54th/cermak branch of the blue line (now the pink line) didn't run 24/7, but from forest park to ohare (blue), and howard to 95th st (red), the trains run ATC. yes, lesser frequency in off-peak/overnight situations, but still ATC.

Res: not so tough - get off @ harlem from blue, take harlem bus 2 blocks north (or walk) and get on talcott bus. takes 10 minutes from train station

CCH/Stroger: blue line stop 2 blocks away - probably don't want to be using this @ night, though. however, during day is perfectly OK (have done to get to UIC without problems, and good friend of mine is a resident @ CCH and she has no problems, ever.)

UofC: this is the only one that's truly "tough" to get to on the 'L', notably b/c the south shore is primarily serviced by the metra electic line; but if live downtown/near north, is easy to get to randolph st station, take metra south to 59th, and take free UofC hospitals shuttle bus down Midway Plaisance.

the 'L' rocks... don't be bashin it. d=)

-t

ps - forgive the bad spelling/grammar... post call and waiting to round. ugh.

To each their own I guess. Get a car.. The El is great for going to Wrigley or the Cell (Comiskey) or going north and south on the red line and zipping around the loop. Beyond that it isnt as good as the systems in other big cities.

Sign me up. Cinci is number 1. The only program that could potentially bump it is Pitt. We'll see after my interview on Monday.

Any recent reviews of Maine, UT-Southwestern, or the BI? Pretty-Please?

Sign me up. Cinci is number 1. The only program that could potentially bump it is Pitt. We'll see after my interview on Monday.

Damn it...you people need to stay away from Cinci! This is not going to fly with me! :p

Stay away from In-N-Out too!

Seriously! I like my chances better when I think I'm the only one that loves it. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Maybe we will all end up there!

I agree. We could have a blast together in Cincy. I'm chillin in Pitt now. Made the road trip up from cincy. Kinda fun. W. Virginia was really pretty. It's snowing like mad here. Pitt seems like an interesting town. Some really depressed ghetto stuff, but some cool little pockets as well.

Have you guys heard anything from Cincy after your interview?

I agree. We could have a blast together in Cincy. I'm chillin in Pitt now. Made the road trip up from cincy. Kinda fun. W. Virginia was really pretty. It's snowing like mad here. Pitt seems like an interesting town. Some really depressed ghetto stuff, but some cool little pockets as well.

Have you guys heard anything from Cincy after your interview?

All I got was a generic letter reminding me of the strengths of the program with a hand written note from Dr. Blomkalns. I've heard from residents at other places that interviewed there that they received phone calls at some point...although I don't know if this is something she still does.

Hey crewmaster, I ended up with 2 mailings from Cincy! Sorry to join the boat, guys, but I loved the program too! They really do a great job of winning us over at the interviews apparently! Sign me up!

lol.. match day should be fun.. envelopes please.. :D

Oh how the Gods hate me! :p

:laugh: :laugh:

My girlfriend is all of a sudden excited about possibly moving to Cinci. She found out there are 2 local pharmacy schools there that she is competitive for, and now her attitude about Cinci is completely different! I can rank it #1 and she'd be happy with it, which wasn't the case before. All I have to do is decide if I want Cinci at #1....decisions, decisions.....

:laugh: That's 4 of us that really like the program. Wow...I don't think I've ever seen this on SDN. Well, I have 2 other places I really love also...so I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a lot to think about over the next month.

Today was my last interview and cinci is for sure my number 1. Wow, it's going to be competitive! I think the 4 of us should get in, give the 8 other spots to non-SDNers. that's definitely how it should be. I'll write Andra now.

Hey crewmaster, I ended up with 2 mailings from Cincy! Sorry to join the boat, guys, but I loved the program too! They really do a great job of winning us over at the interviews apparently! Sign me up!

How can people not love it. I was out at the bar until midnight the night before and 2:00am the night after the interview with the residents. I never partied this hard at any other program!

I think you're just trying to make me worry since I haven't got anything in the mail yet. I know it's only been 2.5 days and there's no mail on Sunday. I think I'm fine.

I got 2 mailings too from Cinci, but one of them wasn't much at all. Then there was the generic letter with Andra's written note. Then there was the great response to an email i sent her. Like any of it matters...:rolleyes:

Weird I got an email from them too..

Kidding...

I think the 4 of us should get in, give the 8 other spots to non-SDNers. that's definitely how it should be. I'll write Andra now.

I've been pushing for dedicated-SDN spots for a while now. I think we can probably make it happen this year. :)

Seriously, if anyone has any more questions about the program please let me know. Also, if you're interested in coming back for a second look just e-mail Andra and we'll put you up in one of those sweet hotel rooms again!

I'd just like to add as a corollary to quinsy's WF review that fried pickles and fried snickers bars are considered a delicacy and should not be taken for granted. Especially the fried pickles. Mmmmmm yumminess. :p

Has anyone out there interviewed at University of Wisconsin-Madison or LSU-Shreveport? It seems like most of the big EM programs have been reviewed (quite eloquently, I might add) but I was curious if anyone is considering some of the smaller and newer programs? Thanks in advance and good luck to all in the upcoming Match!

Anyone checked out the Las Vegas program yet? I am trying to decide on 4th year rotations and would love to hear some impressions of this new program.

Is there a place to see the program rankings based on ABEM exam scores?

Is there a place to see the program rankings based on ABEM exam scores?

No, it is a bone of contention with CORD that programs do not even have access to their graduates' scores. So there would be no way (short of a massive leak from ABEM) to put such a list together.

- H

Any thoughts on Univ Maryland?
Particularly the faculty?

I thought the faculty at Maryland were awesome, especially Dr. Mattu. I'll try to put together a review of the place over the weekend. Great program, very big surprise! PM me if you have specific questions.

This is the only review I actually failed to write b/c I got lazy. Let me tell you, on top of being a stellar program, the faculty is absolutely amazing, especially the PD Dr. Mattu. Because of him, I'm ranking this program quite high. He is the ultimate resident advocate and wants nothing more to teach and make his program better and better. He is a true stud, IMHO.

If you have specific questions, PM me.

I am just starting on my looking-at-programs journey, and as someone who has never been to Boston I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a feel for the general differences in the programs in the city and kind of a comparison of what you thought of them on your interview trail. Thanks!!

Now that the ROLs are turned it and my fate is sealed, I'm a little less paranoid and have the time to review the programs I saw. I actually had two people ask me about SDN at the beginning of my interview season so I put on my tin-foil hat. Maybe this will help the next group.

Akron General
Metro (Case Western/Cleveland Clinic)
Palmetto
MCG
Ohio State
UTSW
Texas A&M, Scott&White
VCU
Mayo
Indiana
Vanderbilt
Louisville

Most of these have been reviewed, but if anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer them.

Thanks,

I agree that Maryland had one of the most impressive training curriculums that I had seen. I thought Dr. Mattu was excellent in his presentation and could see he was very pro-resident and a big asset to the program...

-Risk management training with MD/JD's
-Procedure labs with cadaveurs to practice techniques
-Reading curriculum with Journal Review articles
-Peds training at CNMC in DC :D
-Geriatric curriculum, rads and ECG conferences
-Excellent Anesthesiology rotation with some 80 intubations a month:D
-Residents with 1st author pubs
-Residents have 1st dibs on the fellowships
-Paid off-campus electives
-7-year RRC Accreditation !!
-Many resident-faculty recreational activities (crab feast, orioles game, match party, etc)
-4 Trauma rotations at Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center:D

More can be added...

Feel free to PM with specific questions about facilities and curriculum. I think you'll find all of our residents and faculty to be very honest about the program's pros and cons. Best wishes to the new interns!

-P

do all the SUNY's have more or less the same curriculum/shift hours/etc. or are there big differences..
anyone from SUNY at Buff? what's it like there with the shifts and all?