residency shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tempod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is anyone else worried about the residency shortage?

Members don't see this ad.

We are all there with you man. I have been considering podiatry for over a year, I hope this gets fixed fast.

It doesn't make sense to go through all the work in medical school, spend 4 years and all that for nothing. I don't here of this nonsense in any other medical field.

I really hope this clears up. Podiatry is a great field. this residency crisis really blows

Members don't see this ad :)
yup, I am going to apply for Caribbean instead. Podiatry is way too risky now

If that was comedy - well played. Nothing like a trip to Attrition Island. Otherwise you'll be signing up for all of podiatry's worst traits in a different country. Here's hoping you do your homework.

If that was comedy - well played. Nothing like a trip to Attrition Island. Otherwise you'll be signing up for all of podiatry's worst traits in a different country. Here's hoping you do your homework.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, even with pods placement rate this year, you are way better off here than there.

To the original question: I was. I was horrified. I considered volunteering at a hospital to bolster my MD/DO application and withdrawing my podiatry application. Then I changed my mind completely because a couple of things happened. Firstly, I talked to some people that were more "in the know" and their statements were incredibly reassuring for me. I am convinced that the residency shortage will NOT negatively affect me when I try to match in 2017. Also, I remembered the three magic words: "It is possible." It is possible that when I graduate in 2017, that every single person but one gets a residency. I am determined to be that one person.

We can't predict the future, we can only play the cards that are dealt to us. I want to be a leader in podiatric medicine and surgery, and I've realized the only way to achieve this goal is to take those cards, and play the game.

haha that's a good joke... i hope

if you're not joking, go read the allo and osteo forums about MD/DO residencies. US grads will be ok for the meanwhile but by 2015-2016 or so, carrib and IMG/FMGs are going to have an extremely tough time getting residency spots due to increased seats in MD/DO schools along with more US schools opening up. the chances of you matching in 2017 or 2018 as a caribbean grad will be much worse than the 85-90% match rate for the DPM class of 2013.

It is possible that when I graduate in 2017, that every single person but one gets a residency. I am determined to be that one person.

You sure you wanna be the ONE guy that doesn't get a residency a. :D

On topic, I'm not horribly worried. It is bad, but they've gotta do something to fix it, or risk tarnishing what standing we do have in the medical community. I think it will slowly get better and this year was just a "perfect storm" as has been described. But maybe I'm too optimistic.

I was worried and I am still worried. Podiatry has had a residency issue on and off for many years.

Not ideal, but maybe this "crisis/shortage/situation" will deter people from starting pod school this year and make our aggregate match year smaller i.e. better chances of matching ??

You sure you wanna be the ONE guy that doesn't get a residency a. :D

On topic, I'm not horribly worried. It is bad, but they've gotta do something to fix it, or risk tarnishing what standing we do have in the medical community. I think it will slowly get better and this year was just a "perfect storm" as has been described. But maybe I'm too optimistic.

I meant the precise opposite of what I said... Woof.

Or maybe I didn't..... I'm DETERMINED to NOT get a residency!

Lol, it was Easter, cut me some slack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

I applied to Ross and SGU and got into both, but decided against as you will be matching after 2016. just Google 2016 IMG match and you will see articles from the AMA, AAMC and the likes that are equally not as pretty.

I am not too worried as it seems 75% get residencies. As with anything in life if you are at the bottom 25% life will suck. To those getting in with sub 20MCAT, sub 2.75GPA, weak on english or interpersonal skills (I have met some awesome people on interviews to the extent I truly wish would be seeing them in the fall, and I have met some who are somewhat lacking in their outward demeanor to put it politely.) I would back away.
I remember reading an article of how certain programs just let slots go unfilled as they do not believe their applicants

To sum it up unless you are a US allopathic student, just about everyfield has some issues.
DO-worse residency choice, weaker applicants getting crunch.
DDS-Hard to get a decent job (at least according to my dentist who is 29
DPT, low earnings for the amount of schooling they need
PharmD-many used to get jobs in pharma R&D but now that these firms are gutting and outsourcing RD there is a squeze for pharmacist jobs.

As for this getting solved, maybe it might be eased but outright solved with a 1:1 ratio of grads to spots I doubt it. With govt cutbacks across the board I would not count on much relief there.

Not ideal, but maybe this "crisis/shortage/situation" will deter people from starting pod school this year and make our aggregate match year smaller i.e. better chances of matching ??

That would be ideal, however I would wager in general, the only ones that really know anything about it are us SDNrs, and I imagine that's a fairly low percentage of c/o 2017 as a whole.

I applied to Ross and SGU and got into both, but decided against as you will be matching after 2016. just Google 2016 IMG match and you will see articles from the AMA, AAMC and the likes that are equally not as pretty.

To sum it up unless you are a US allopathic student, just about everyfield has some issues.

According to BLS, dentists will have a job growth of over 21% over 10 years. I would guess that your dentist was very picky in where/how he wanted to practice.

MANY, about half, of DO students match into ACGME now a days successfully, and the top students have no problem finding a competitive field to match into. There are some high-end ACGME residencies that are exclusively MD, but even the majority of MD students aren't competitive for those, so that's a non-issue.

But yes, every field has issues, yet summarizing it in a few words neither does it justice, nor looks at the bigger picture.

I am not too worried as it seems 75% get residencies. As with anything in life if you are at the bottom 25% life will suck. To those getting in with sub 20MCAT, sub 2.75GPA, weak on english or interpersonal skills (I have met some awesome people on interviews to the extent I truly wish would be seeing them in the fall, and I have met some who are somewhat lacking in their outward demeanor to put it politely.) I would back away.
I remember reading an article of how certain programs just let slots go unfilled as they do not believe their applicants

PharmD-many used to get jobs in pharma R&D but now that these firms are gutting and outsourcing RD there is a squeze for pharmacist jobs.

As for this getting solved, maybe it might be eased but outright solved with a 1:1 ratio of grads to spots I doubt it. With govt cutbacks across the board I would not count on much relief there.

I think it is higher than 75%, I personally think its around 85%. From my understanding a lot of the numbers getting thrown around include students from previous years. I think it probably will go to around 90% after the scramble is complete for the class of 2013.

Don't forget Optometrists and Vets. Both of which are suffering from major over-saturation issues.

Don't forget Optometrists and Vets. Both of which are suffering from major over-saturation issues.

How could I have forgot them
OD, being crushed by people getting glasses on contacts online thus depriving the OD of commision which is a significant portion of their salary. I have heard there are many part time ODs

DVM, not sure what the market it exactly, but one friend who did go to Ross for his DVM (in the carribbean) is now going to an MPH program after seeing posts on facebook about interviews. I am guessing a lot of interviews did not pan out.

The class of 2015 should have it pretty easy as the current second years at KSUCPM only have around 83 students as of now. They started with 105.

DVM, not sure what the market it exactly, but one friend who did go to Ross for his DVM (in the carribbean) is now going to an MPH program after seeing posts on facebook about interviews. I am guessing a lot of interviews did not pan out.

DVM is not a good market, atm. Class sizes and tuition have increased and jobs are scarce. Lots of new grads sitting around with no way to pay back their loans. Hey wait, that sounds a bit familiar :eek:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah, even with pods placement rate this year, you are way better off here than there.

To the original question: I was. I was horrified. I considered volunteering at a hospital to bolster my MD/DO application and withdrawing my podiatry application. Then I changed my mind completely because a couple of things happened. Firstly, I talked to some people that were more "in the know" and their statements were incredibly reassuring for me. I am convinced that the residency shortage will NOT negatively affect me when I try to match in 2017. Also, I remembered the three magic words: "It is possible." It is possible that when I graduate in 2017, that every single person but one gets a residency. I am determined to be that one person.

We can't predict the future, we can only play the cards that are dealt to us. I want to be a leader in podiatric medicine and surgery, and I've realized the only way to achieve this goal is to take those cards, and play the game.

Hi MAxillo,
I was just wondering why you don't apply to D.O. or M.D. since I saw you have very high stats? When did you decided on podiatry?

Hi MAxillo,
I was just wondering why you don't apply to D.O. or M.D. since I saw you have very high stats? When did you decided on podiatry?

Well I certainly considered it, but I want to be a podiatrist, so that's why I went podiatry. I decided I would I would focus all my efforts/pursue podiatry about halfway through my first semester of sophomore year.

To be honest, a large portion of this decision was based on the fact that I was pursuing dentistry and my social life sucked freshman year because I was constantly in the library. So I decided to go into podiatry which has considerably lower admission standards. While that reason is certainly not valid anymore that I graduated in December, I still really like podiatry and I think it has a bright future

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile