Residency Step cut-off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor John

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill start off by saying that I am applying to internal medicine and my step 1 score is fairly low. I am looking for a way to search residency programs based off of step cut offs or even average step scores, so I do not waste my money applying to programs that I won't get into. If anyone has a list of program "tiers" that would also be helpful.
Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ill start off by saying that I am applying to internal medicine and my step 1 score is fairly low. I am looking for a way to search residency programs based off of step cut offs or even average step scores, so I do not waste my money applying to programs that I won't get into. If anyone has a list of program "tiers" that would also be helpful.
Thanks for the help
That's a good question. I don't know if any exist. I think FREIDA lists Step cutoffs or Step ranges for some programs, but I don't know if it's comprehensive and I don't know how accurate it all is.

Otherwise, I know some programs list Step cutoffs on their websites, but that'd be an immense pain going through each one by one.

thanks for the response. Ya, it is a bit of a pain to find it on each individual website. Ill give FREIDA a try. I'm having a tough time deciding which program is a "backup" vs. "long shot" and everything in between.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a US MD (allo)? If so, you could probably still get some interviews at a lot of mid-tier IM programs even with a low Step 1 score. In fact, if you take Step 2, and significantly improve (240s+), you should almost definitely be able to get a lot of interviews at mid-tier IM programs. The only programs I'd rule out if you're a US MD and you do a lot better on Step 2 (and assuming no other red flags) would be the brand name programs (e.g., all the Harvard hospitals, Hopkins, Duke, UChicago, UCSF, Stanford).

Also, do you have any state or regional preferences? That would help narrow down programs you could look at.

Thanks for the help

I don't think there is one that exists. Have you spoken to your home PD/IM advisors. They will have a good gauge for you as they know more than you think they do.

FREIDA lists the step cutoffs for the programs that are willing to provide that info, but I don't know how hard those cutoffs are. If you look at them some will list their cutoff as X and then their mean score of their current residents will be below that, so idk how reliable it is unless you go to the website or contact someone at the program.

Reactions: 2 users
FREIDA lists the step cutoffs for the programs that are willing to provide that info, but I don't know how hard those cutoffs are. If you look at them some will list their cutoff as X and then their mean score of their current residents will be below that.

With my experience with the MSAR, I've become less confident in that type of data. If rememeber if I saw numbers I liked, I applied whereas if numbers seemed higher, I didn't apply but I ended up getting interviews at the only two reaches by number that I applied to so I completely agree with Stagg and think that you should just apply to tons and see OP. Try to put your best foot forward OP and see what happens. Step 1 is very important, but it's not the only thing.

Ok so that's not too bad since you're a US MD from north FL, prefer to stay in the Southeast, no red flags, low Step 1, still waiting for Step 2. Just see how you do on Step 2. But if you do well, or even just average, then you should be good and should be able to match in the region. Definitely apply to FL academic IM programs. I dont think you'll be at Emory or UAB, unless you do extremely well on Step 2, but I think you'll be ok.

That's a good question. I don't know if any exist. I think FREIDA lists Step cutoffs or Step ranges for some programs, but I don't know if it's comprehensive and I don't know how accurate it all is.

Otherwise, I know some programs list Step cutoffs on their websites, but that'd be an immense pain going through each one by one.

In my experience I wouldn't trust FREIDA. It seemed wildly inaccurate when I was looking at a surgical subspecialty a little while ago.

I don't think there is one that exists. Have you spoken to your home PD/IM advisors. They will have a good gauge for you as they know more than you think they do.

Second this, ask your department.

Ok so that's not too bad since you're a US MD from north FL, prefer to stay in the Southeast, no red flags, low Step 1, still waiting for Step 2. Just see how you do on Step 2. But if you do well, or even just average, then you should be good and should be able to match in the region. Definitely apply to FL academic IM programs. I dont think you'll be at Emory or UAB, unless you do extremely well on Step 2, but I think you'll be ok.
OP should definitely apply if he has other things that make up for his/her low step 1 score... But it will be a difficult mountain to climb for the top 2 FL programs (UMiami and UF-Gainesville) with anything <220 in step1.

How low could you have possible scored? Some community programs will look at your application with a 200.

Thanks for the help
FREIDA provides cutoffs, but some of them are softer than others, so use them as a guide for what you might be competitive for but not an absolute do or don't apply.

Thanks for the help

I don't deal with IM programs, but several programs will post their own cutoffs or average scores either on FREIDA or in postings for open positions. E.g. for surgery if you look at the postings on the APDS website, several will list acceptable scores