Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

possibledoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MS3 looking to go into Anesthesia
-US MD
-Step 1 around 210 - got stressed out (hoping to increase step 2)
-no red flags/failures during medical school
-not set on any specific locations (just want to match into anes)
-Two research experiences (not in anes) but no publications
-will have three anes LOR (one from anes director) and one LOR from a different field

-what do you think my chances are? As I am set on doing anes.

-what should I work on for my application?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say you have a shot at anesthesia. Just apply broadly.

As for the Step 1 score. You have a score that (coupled with a US MD diploma and some decent clinical grades) should get you in somewhere. I would advise against saying you "got stressed out"... this is field that has plenty of stress, you don't want to imply you can't handle it. Do work on upping it for Step 2, a good Step 2 score might help open some doors.

Given the above, I would also make sure you're very comfortable with your interviewing, do plenty of practice interviews.

Stressed out means you did not adequately prepare. Don't use that excuse in interviews. Crumbling under stress is not a desirable trait in anesthesiology. Kill step 2 and show them it was a preparation issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your guys advice, it is helpful! What should I work on for other areas of my application? Should I do anesthesia research?

A little late for research to pad your application, but if you are sincerely interested in it, go for it. Maybe think about doing some away rotations at places you are interested in. If you are personable, hard working, and fit in with the residents you can usually earn a spot. I think the only other thing that will help your app in a major way will be a great step 2 score.

I would say you have a shot at anesthesia. Just apply broadly.

As for the Step 1 score. You have a score that (coupled with a US MD diploma and some decent clinical grades) should get you in somewhere. I would advise against saying you "got stressed out"... this is field that has plenty of stress, you don't want to imply you can't handle it. Do work on upping it for Step 2, a good Step 2 score might help open some doors.

Given the above, I would also make sure you're very comfortable with your interviewing, do plenty of practice interviews.

"you have a shot" seems a little extreme. As long as you have a pulse you'll get into a good program with a 210. Per charting outcomes....

201-210 = 94% Match rate
211-220 = 99% Match rate

I agree with scud, I wouldnt stress about research at this point. Just do well on your clinicals, especially your gas rotation, and rock step 2.

Last edited:
I didn't want to make a separate thread, so here goes:

I'm a current MS3 at a US MD school with a solid Step 1 score (>240) and decent clerkship grades, and I'm taking Step 2 CK soon. I have one research experience not related to the field, and I am likely to have good-to-strong LORs from IM and Anesthesia. I am debating whether I should stay in Texas or if it would be worth it to try to match to one of the bigger programs in California like UCSF, Stanford, or UCLA. I really don't have a preference for where I want to practice in the future, and I am interested in doing a fellowship, perhaps in CCM or cardiac anesthesia. I don't have any ties to California, so it might be a long shot anyway.

I know the programs in Texas are pretty good, but I am wondering if [potentially] going to the top programs in California would be beneficial in terms of moving around or getting a job; my parents are getting older, so I might have to take care of them in the future. I think I would have an easier time doing residency in California and then coming back to Texas after some time than vice versa. I strongly prefer living in California even with the higher COL, but I am thinking that the benefits of being in Texas might outweigh the training in California. FWIW, I'm young and single (and naive), so I can afford to move across the country. I'm going to apply broadly and will keep an open mind about matching to programs outside of these two states, but I wanted some opinions on the matter. Thanks in advance, and PM me if you prefer.

Go to a non-malignant top program (in Cali or elsewhere). It will give you great training (for life) and open doors after residency (especially if you decide for a fellowship).

Go to a non-malignant top program (in Cali or elsewhere). It will give you great training (for life) and open doors after residency (especially if you decide for a fellowship).

Thanks for the advice. The training is what I care about the most, and avoiding malignant programs is a close second. I do want to do a fellowship afterwards, so opening more doors is important for me.

Why on earth do you want to do anesthesia???
Is it the "life style" ???

I've been following these forums for a while now. I know a lot of you guys feel like the field is going to crash and burn, and who knows? It might. Anesthesiology is not a lifestyle specialty, and I'm fine with that--neither is general surgery or many other fields that I considered. I know the CRNAs/SRNAs are going to encroach, private practices are being bought out, you get treated like second-rate physicians, pay is decreasing, etc., but it's the only field that I see myself going into and being somewhat happy in. I don't want to manage hypertension, I don't like clinic, I don't want to do lap choles all day, I don't want to look at skin daily, I don't want to sit at a computer or a microscope, I don't want to do TKAs for hours every day, I don't find the eye, ear, nose, or throat interesting, and I have interests outside of medicine. I look around and see NPs invading family medicine, pathology and radiology having poor job markets, general surgeons and ER physicians burning out, and dwindling respect for physicians in general, and I think it's a good decision for me. I like the science and the pharmacology, I like the OR environment as well as the ICU setting, and I feel at home when I'm behind the drapes. My opinion of the field may change in the future, but after looking at all my options, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Feel free to PM me about your experiences; I'm always open to more perspectives.

Reactions: 7 users
"you have a shot" seems a little extreme. As long as you have a pulse you'll get into a good program with a 210. Per charting outcomes....

201-210 = 94% Match rate
211-220 = 99% Match rate

I agree with scud, I wouldnt stress about research at this point. Just do well on your clinicals, especially your gas rotation, and rock step 2.

LMAO!

I've been following these forums for a while now. I know a lot of you guys feel like the field is going to crash and burn, and who knows? It might. Anesthesiology is not a lifestyle specialty, and I'm fine with that--neither is general surgery or many other fields that I considered. I know the CRNAs/SRNAs are going to encroach, private practices are being bought out, you get treated like second-rate physicians, pay is decreasing, etc., but it's the only field that I see myself going into and being somewhat happy in. I don't want to manage hypertension, I don't like clinic, I don't want to do lap choles all day, I don't want to look at skin daily, I don't want to sit at a computer or a microscope, I don't want to do TKAs for hours every day, I don't find the eye, ear, nose, or throat interesting, and I have interests outside of medicine. I look around and see NPs invading family medicine, pathology and radiology having poor job markets, general surgeons and ER physicians burning out, and dwindling respect for physicians in general, and I think it's a good decision for me. I like the science and the pharmacology, I like the OR environment as well as the ICU setting, and I feel at home when I'm behind the drapes. My opinion of the field may change in the future, but after looking at all my options, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Feel free to PM me about your experiences; I'm always open to more perspectives.
At least it looks like you've thought things out a lot and done a good ruling in, and ruling out of specialties. I don't know what your class rank is, but your Step score would be great including even for Derm.