Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard things about residency. I don't know what is right and what is wrong. I heard that you need at least a 3.0 to get a residency. And I have heard you don't need a 3.0 unless you want a prestigious residency and that grades don't matter for non-presitigous residencies. I heard that if you want a residency there is going to be one for you because mostly they go unfilled. I am soooooooo very confused what is true and what is false???

I am looking for a residency that doesn't involve drug industry. That is my only requirement...mostly because I don't want to kill rats and test on them.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have heard things about residency. I don't know what is right and what is wrong. I heard that you need at least a 3.0 to get a residency. And I have heard you don't need a 3.0 unless you want a prestigious residency and that grades don't matter for non-presitigous residencies. I heard that if you want a residency there is going to be one for you because mostly they go unfilled. I am soooooooo very confused what is true and what is false???

I am looking for a residency that doesn't involve drug industry. That is my only requirement...mostly because I don't want to kill rats and test on them.

I see your sig. You go to USP? I've never heard it referred to as PCPS except by the people that graduated from there when it was PCPS. Now I only hear PCP or USP.

But I think you wouldn't ever kill rats on a residency. Those are practice based. An industry residency would be drug info or something along those lines. Fellowships are the ones that are more research oriented.

As far as grades, I heard different things too. I don't know about the GPA, but what GPA you need and how competitive the residency is would probably depend on what type you want. But that's just my opinion. I don't know exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)
still at USP. I call it PCPS because most people know PCPS better than USP.

still at USP. I call it PCPS because most people know PCPS better than USP.

Yeah I go there too. We're P1s, I think it's too early to worry about residencies. Did you go to that residency thing they had last semester? I didn't but I think they hold one at least every year.

From my understanding there are 3 types of residency: community, hospital (oncology, ID, etc...) and industry (drug info and such). The most common kind is hospital residencies.

You do know there are industry fellowships that don't require you "to kill rats and test on them," right?

The hospital that I work at has 2 slots for year one pharmacy practice residencies. We had three applications for the two slots this time around, and one of the residents has already dropped, so now we only have one and one empty position. It is far from competitive.

It honestly depends on where you apply. My program had over 100 applicants for 5 PGY1 spots. Grades do matter along with other things such as your letters of rec, EC's, rotations...it is multifactorial.

Where you do a residency does matter as far as jobs are concerned.

From my understanding there are 3 types of residency: community, hospital (oncology, ID, etc...) and industry (drug info and such). The most common kind is hospital residencies.

There are also managed care and ambulatory care residencies.

To the OP, ASHP has a directory that lists different residencies by state. ACCP also lists fellowships and residencies.

The hospital that I work at has 2 slots for year one pharmacy practice residencies. We had three applications for the two slots this time around, and one of the residents has already dropped, so now we only have one and one empty position. It is far from competitive.

really? where is this hospital?
I would think every hospital in CA is competitive but knowing the ones that have less applicants can help in the matching process.

Sounds like an impressive program.