Resident led conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NadineH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a good format for resident led conferences. Right now we have a weekly new patient conference in which one resident presents a recent case and then does a formal presentation on the topic (ex. management of N2 NSCLC). Are any programs doing something more interesting/engaging?

Members don't see this ad.

Id suggest a formal lecture schedule by disease site (lung 1 month, lymphoma next month, etc.). We tried the strategy you mentioned, but felt that things were a bit disjointed. We switched to a formal schedule, and it really made things nice. I barely studied for inservice or written boards since our lectures were so extensive and well-organized. You can still start off with a case as it isn't hard to pull one that you or your colleagues saw.

Thanks for your reply. We just switched to the disease site format last month, so it's experimental for us (UMDNJ). Great to know that it pays off so well.

Every resident/program has different views on it. The expectation for ours was that you got all the basic reading (staging/work-up/general management) done on your own time. Conference was to go over papers. So, if we were doing early stage breast/DCIS, we'd go over B06, Milan, B17, B24, a couple other ones with each resident presenting the papers with a written summary, comments, criticisms, and take-home points. During the presentations, an attending may ask general questions about breast cancer/DCIS. This was interdigitated with oral-examinations on that topic on the alternate week, or there would be a separate session for that with one or more residents being examined. Worked for us, had to do a lot on your own, but for a person like me - I could not sit there and passively listen to powerpoint presentations 1-2/week.

I sort of like how the UChicago program and I think Cleveland Clinic did this intensive weekly presentations, where one resident presents a case and another gets skewered about it by the faculty in front of a group. I bet it made the oral exam seem sort of easy.

S