Resident Selection Process and OMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMSHopeful09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for current OMS residents or anyone involved in resident selection. I was wondering what you all are looking for in an applicant's transcript. Are you all looking for just perfect grades across the board or do you weigh certain areas of the transcript (i.e. the basic sciences such as anatomy, pathology, etc.) to more heavily when you make your decision? Also I was wondering how you all viewed grades in the more subjective courses like preclinical labs and clinic where so much of your grades depends on somebody else's opinion of what is right. With all that being said I know that every program is different and each is looking for something different in the applicants they accept, but i just want to get an general idea of how the process works. Also if any of my questions have already been address in another thread, if you could please direct me to it I would greatly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for current OMS residents or anyone involved in resident selection. I was wondering what you all are looking for in an applicant's transcript. Are you all looking for just perfect grades across the board or do you weigh certain areas of the transcript (i.e. the basic sciences such as anatomy, pathology, etc.) to more heavily when you make your decision? Also I was wondering how you all viewed grades in the more subjective courses like preclinical labs and clinic where so much of your grades depends on somebody else's opinion of what is right. With all that being said I know that every program is different and each is looking for something different in the applicants they accept, but i just want to get an general idea of how the process works. Also if any of my questions have already been address in another thread, if you could please direct me to it I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Board Scores
2. Class Rank
3. Willingness to be my little b!tch for the next year of your life.

Who cares about preclinical labs...

There are too many applicants to consider each year, so cut-offs must exist. These are generally Boards of at least 90 and top 10% of your class (I understand that not all schools rank). This being said, if someone meets these cutt-offs, the rest of the application is generally looked at. This will include a more careful screening of the grades. Basic sciences will be looked at more than pre-clinical labs. Also, oral surgery and oral path will be looked at more than perio or ortho. Finally, clinical grades in oral surgery will be more heavily considered over operative dentistry. I am not saying that you can bomb these other things, but you don't need to ace them all. Get over a 90 on the boards and do well in school and you should get a good amount of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are too many applicants to consider each year, so cut-offs must exist. These are generally Boards of at least 90 and top 10% of your class (I understand that not all schools rank). This being said, if someone meets these cutt-offs, the rest of the application is generally looked at. This will include a more careful screening of the grades. Basic sciences will be looked at more than pre-clinical labs. Also, oral surgery and oral path will be looked at more than perio or ortho. Finally, clinical grades in oral surgery will be more heavily considered over operative dentistry. I am not saying that you can bomb these other things, but you don't need to ace them all. Get over a 90 on the boards and do well in school and you should get a good amount of interviews.

I graduated 6 years ago and am now interested in OMFS. I had an 87 on part 1 and not in the top 10%. Did a GPR though, heavily based with OMFS. Do you think there is a chance given work experience. Any advice would help. Thanks

I graduated 6 years ago and am now interested in OMFS. I had an 87 on part 1 and not in the top 10%. Did a GPR though, heavily based with OMFS. Do you think there is a chance given work experience. Any advice would help. Thanks

Maybe, but there is a HUGE difference in percentile between a 87 and a 89, not to mention 87 and 90+. Might want to take the exam over to be safe, but you never know. :thumbup: Maybe do an internship?

I heard that DR. Steinberg will go to Mississippi and be a program director of the Mississippi OMFS program.
Anyone have heard about this news??????