Residents: what kind of lab coat to order

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I get flamed, I really did do a search, and it's a topic that comes up so often, I got nowhere.

Wanted to hear from the ladies in particular on this one, but anyone's opinion is welcome.

I like the cotton coats with french buttons, but are they too hot? I'm going to have them dry-cleaned so I don't care that they need to be ironed, I'm just wondering about the weight. How does it do with stains?

I detest polyester, but are there advantages...

And how about style? I know the belted back looks better on women, but should I go loose belt or sewn? Do you order a size larger to go over clothes, or should I order my normal dress size?

My program asked if we'd like a specific type of coat, so I want to order a good one.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Before I get flamed, I really did do a search, and it's a topic that comes up so often, I got nowhere.

Wanted to hear from the ladies in particular on this one, but anyone's opinion is welcome.

I like the cotton coats with french buttons, but are they too hot? I'm going to have them dry-cleaned so I don't care that they need to be ironed, I'm just wondering about the weight. How does it do with stains?

I detest polyester, but are there advantages...

And how about style? I know the belted back looks better on women, but should I go loose belt or sewn? Do you order a size larger to go over clothes, or should I order my normal dress size?

My program asked if we'd like a specific type of coat, so I want to order a good one.

Thanks!

As a lady myself, I prefer something revealing and lacy. It keeps me cool and entertains the patients. But then again, I am 36-24-36.

I'd recommend going to a medical clothing store, if there is one near your hospital, and trying on some different sizes and styles.

I prefer the 100% cotton coats with the cloth knot buttons. The ones I had in residency had loose belts. I think they actually "breathe" better than the blends. The downside, however, is that they wrinkle like crazy. They'll also shrink a bit if you have them professionally laundered.

Go by bra size to order the size of the coat. Get two styles, one for winter ( I like the blended heavier material ) and get the cotton belted style for the summer.

Many residencies provide coats. For day-to-day use, I suggest using these "free" coats, since they're definitely going to get mucked up. If you want to order a nice, embroidered coat for more formal occasions, then that's a different story.

Many residencies provide coats. For day-to-day use, I suggest using these "free" coats, since they're definitely going to get mucked up. If you want to order a nice, embroidered coat for more formal occasions, then that's a different story.

My program asks us for our preference of coat style and material, which they pay for and embroider. :)

My program asks us for our preference of coat style and material, which they pay for and embroider. :)

Me too. Now I'm deliberating over "Fang I. Fangiferous, MD" or "Fang Fangiferous MD". How many people go for the middle initial?

While I prefer the heavier cotton ones with the cloth buttons, they do wrinkle like crazy as KentW says, but I found that in a cold hospital they kept me nice and toasty.

I ordered a mix - a couple of the nice ones and a couple of the cotton/poly ones with the plastic buttons for summer.

The different brands do fit differently and you might consider a size up in the heavier coats (since they tend to shrink) or if you like to wear sweaters under your coats.

While I prefer the heavier cotton ones with the cloth buttons, they do wrinkle like crazy as KentW says, but I found that in a cold hospital they kept me nice and toasty.

I ordered a mix - a couple of the nice ones and a couple of the cotton/poly ones with the plastic buttons for summer.

The different brands do fit differently and you might consider a size up in the heavier coats (since they tend to shrink) or if you like to wear sweaters under your coats.

Thanks, those are good tips. I'm cold natured (not cold hearted ;) ), so I think the heavier ones will be fine for hospital. I might keep a lighter one at the clinic.