restorative/burs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaio

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what burss do you useee???

do most dentists use one type of bur for all of their restorative work or diff burs depending on if its class II, III,V etc..I've been using 330 on hi speed for most everything and that's what my professors recommend...but am getting a little discouraged with my work, i know i need more practice, but was wondering if a change of burs could make a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

256 bur on both high speed and low speed with 1/4 round bur for retentive grooves. At least that's what we've been using for the first two months of operative.

For operative, I use a 330 for most of the prep, a 4 or 6 round on slow speed to remove caries, and a 56 to refine.

For fixed, we're taught to use a variety of champfer diamonds. I've never tried cutting a crown using carbides other than SSCs in pedo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a 556 for everything now aside from cutting a class III. 556 for crowns with a porcelain shoulder is just great

I use a 245 for molars class 1 and 2, and I like a 330 for premolars class 1 and 2. Anterior class 3 and 5 I use a variety but usually round and 330.

But 245 and 330 are the burs of choice for me

burs are a matter of preference. i use a variety depending on the patient and the procedure at hand. (warning: i am a tool geek)

for example: my primary operative bur is a 330, ill use a 58 to widen and refine an amalgam prep, the largest round i can fit into a prep to excavate, something with teeth in it to remove old restorations (both intra and extra coronal variety), high fluted carbides to finish composites, a 856.018 for the average PFM prep (856.012 to break contact), a barrel shaped diamond for occlusal reduction, football diamond for linguals, lab carbides for acrylics, super sharp rounds for endo access, safe ended carbides for opening that access, various and sundry shapes and grit that work perfectly in just the right situation...whew....you can see what i mean.

information overload? might be, but ive spend some time trying a variety and have been able to narrow down to mostly wht i use the most and then keeping the rest in my hip pocket to reach for when the situation presents itself. if you really want to see the scope of what is out there, google brassler, premier, and dentsply midwest.

start with the basics and then try out some of the really cool variety that is out there.

we used the 330, but have the option of a 329...It allows us to remove a little less tooth structure.

what burss do you useee???

do most dentists use one type of bur for all of their restorative work or diff burs depending on if its class II, III,V etc..I've been using 330 on hi speed for most everything and that's what my professors recommend...but am getting a little discouraged with my work, i know i need more practice, but was wondering if a change of burs could make a difference.

i'm in the same boat as you are as far as trying to find a bur that works the best in restorative work. i've burned through plenty of ivorine teeth, but i find that for the occlusal the best bet is the 330. 169 has too high of an oppritunity to cut too deep. 56 is too wide.

so for class I, i'll make a line over the occlusal witht he 169 in high speed. cut the prep with the 330, add divergent walls real quick with the 169, then refine the prep with the 330 in slow speed. if i can't get the floor flat, i'll use the 957 in slow speed to flatten the floor.

i know lots of change isn't really practical in clinic, but for ideal preps it's just easier to make everything look completely perfect.

hope that helps?

I like to cut cavity preps the prep with a 330 on money speed (ie. high speed). Then I go back with an 835 and refine it, also on high speed, usually listening to ACDC hells bells helps. I may not spin it all the way at max speed here, just rev it in areas. Ill usually do wall angulation with a 835. lastly, i'll go back with one of those polishing burs, not sure of the number. They have a ton of flutes, this will take burn marks you've put in ivorine and make it look nice and smooth. I probly wount bother with the last step if I was private practice to save time.

Sorry to revive such a old thread but got a question. How many of you guys actually use a 1556 on class II's when prepping molars, for example? My instructor tried to make me feel stupid for using a 330 and not using a 1556. Thanks guys! :D

a pear-shaped 330 makes the walls and floors of a class 2 box too irregular...your prof wants you to use the rectangular shape of the 56 (with or without fissures) to make the walls of the box square and the floor flat. that makes it easier (or not necessary at all) to use hand instruments in finishing the box. in the occlusal portion of the prep, a 56 gives the walls a parallel draw and helps to smooth the outline form. its not that you absolutely cant use a 330, its just there are better tools available for the job.

i also thought i would mention that while you should use the burs that you are most comfortable while learning on typodonts, when it comes to clinic time, it is more efficient to stick with one or two for a majority of your operative work. (fixed too, for that matter) the 5-10 seconds it takes to change a bur doesnt seem like much but it will add up to more wasted time in clinic than you already have to deal with, and nobody wants that.

330 cuts too slow. I prefer the 245.

I typically use a 330, but on pre-molars I prefer a 329.