Results of Poll for choice of study material Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitaldoc2002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
145 votes so far from students all over the globe...and results so far:

usmleworld = 54%
firstaid = 24%
kaplan = 11%
c3NY = 4%

To vote and see Poll results Click Here

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Did people really use USMLE world for Step II CS?
Isn't FirstAid enough along with practice cases?

Peeshee said:
Did people really use USMLE world for Step II CS?
Isn't FirstAid enough along with practice cases?

Yes - very much seems so - I personally know 3 guys who did use UW and are very happy with it - but i used FA and loved it

The poll is ongoing...latest results are:

Total votes = 318

UsmleWorld = 44 %
First Aid = 27 %
Kaplan = 14 %
C3NY = 7%
Others = 5 %
None = 3 %

People study for Step II CS? This is news to me. Isn't this test the same thing we've all been doing all day, every day for the last 2 years? If you don't know how to do this by now, something is bad wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tar Heel Born said:
People study for Step II CS? This is news to me. Isn't this test the same thing we've all been doing all day, every day for the last 2 years? If you don't know how to do this by now, something is bad wrong.

Considering a 50%-60% failure rate on this exam - it is worth studying for. :thumbup:

Because, the exam ain't only about what we know - it is also about what AAMC wants us to excel at.

digitaldoc2002 said:
Considering a 50%-60% failure rate on this exam - it is worth studying for. :thumbup:

Because, the exam ain't only about what we know - it is also about what AAMC wants us to excel at.

50-60% failure rate?!?! :eek: Maybe for FMGs. I don't know anybody at my medical school that studied for this test. Nobody failed last year, and none of my classmates/friends have failed this year.

Is that so ? The figures I mentioned were that went around in the last years forums elsewhere - must be mostly FMGs then.

What source did you use to retrieve those figures Apache ? Thanks

digitaldoc2002 said:
Is that so ? The figures I mentioned were that went around in the last years forums elsewhere - must be mostly FMGs then.

What source did you use to retrieve those figures Apache ? Thanks

"U.S. students failed at a lower rate than foreign medical graduates, at 3 and 17 percent respectively."

http://www.aamc.org/members/osr/reports/aamcnbme.htm

You really don't have to study for it, if you've been doing the normal clinical stuff during your M3 year, IMHO. Everyone at my school passed on try 1 last year.

Though I must admit when I was at the CS testing center and I saw some lady next to me cramming away at some book (I was like :confused: they have a review book for step 2 cs??!!) it did freak me out a bit. After all, I was told, just wash your hands, smile, and pass.

Tar Heel Born said:
50-60% failure rate?!?! :eek: Maybe for FMGs. I don't know anybody at my medical school that studied for this test. Nobody failed last year, and none of my classmates/friends have failed this year.

I said the same thing....
People are actually studying for this test! Come on...how many clinic patients/ER patients/inpatients have you guys done a history and physical on...I think that is all the studying you need for a PASS/FAIL test. We shall see...hopefully I will not eat my words.

Carbo/Taxol said:
I said the same thing....
People are actually studying for this test! Come on...how many clinic patients/ER patients/inpatients have you guys done a history and physical on...I think that is all the studying you need for a PASS/FAIL test. We shall see...hopefully I will not eat my words.

I guess most IMGs study due to a lack of knowledge about - 1. the exam expectations, 2. hospital culture and 3. expected physician mannerisms in US

For American graduates, it is nothing different from what they already did - a cake-walk, but IMGs would need to know how the american docs do it and what to expect on the exam before they feel confident about spending almost $1000 $ flying to US, then taking the $1,200 exam - which happens to be quiet a fortune in most countries due to local currency conversions.

If I were to take an clinical exam in Kenya or Australia or UK- I would definitely need a resource to know how things are done, the local lingo and other minor things before I take it. Would you agree ?