Retail + Army Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somatic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on starting a retail job after graduating this Spring and I am also considering joining the Army Reserves as a pharmacist. Is there anyone out there that is currently doing this or does anyone know someone doing this? I am just curious as to whether people think this is a good option and what the pros and cons to doing this may be.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone in pharmacy school and Army Reserve at the same time. Are you a Pharmacist who is in the Army Reserve? Please share your experiences.

I know a guy that was in the army, then went to pharmacy school afterwards. He's been to Iraq twice as a soldier, not a pharmacist, because that is what he was doing first. He's currently a lieutenant colonel, and still looking for promotions. He used to be a pharmacy manager, but decided he didn't like the store he was in and since there were no openings, he went back to being a floater. He said he's probably going to get deployed soon again. This guy is like 50 something and still going strong. Total badass. And makes a ton of money

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a guy that was in the army, then went to pharmacy school afterwards. He's been to Iraq twice as a soldier, not a pharmacist, because that is what he was doing first. He's currently a lieutenant colonel, and still looking for promotions. He used to be a pharmacy manager, but decided he didn't like the store he was in and since there were no openings, he went back to being a floater. He said he's probably going to get deployed soon again. This guy is like 50 something and still going strong. Total badass. And makes a ton of money
He is going to get deployed again even though he is no longer in the military? He really is a badass. I should have clarified that I was looking for "non-fiction" or "real world" information.

He is going to get deployed again even though he is no longer in the military? He really is a badass. I should have clarified that I was looking for "non-fiction" or "real world" information.

No, you should have clarified that you were an ass so I didn't waste my time trying to track him down and see if he would have answered some questions for you. Just because I'm not a military expert doesn't discredit this man. Hope you enjoyed your little nerd rage.

Sorry if I upset you. Just FYI, people who are not currently in the military do not get deployed. More importantly, this is a teaching moment! What you need to learn very quickly in pharmacy is that if you don't know something, it is OK to say that you don't know. It is NOT OK to guess. Ask someone else or look it up. If you are guessing or if you are making stuff up, that can be dangerous or deadly for the patient. I realize that my earlier reply sounds condescending, but some of your statements sound made up.

:)

Sorry if I upset you. Just FYI, people who are not currently in the military do not get deployed. More importantly, this is a teaching moment! What you need to learn very quickly in pharmacy is that if you don't know something, it is OK to say that you don't know. It is NOT OK to guess. Ask someone else or look it up. If you are guessing or if you are making stuff up, that can be dangerous or deadly for the patient. I realize that my earlier reply sounds condescending, but some of your statements sound made up.

That's a little better. Of course pharmacy isn't a guessing game. Knowing how the military works won't kill a patient and your assumption is ridiculous. I was just going off of what the guy I was talking about had told me. It was a few weeks ago since we had the original conversation, so I may have misunderstood him, since I was more focused on doing my job correctly, rather than give my full attention to a story. Or maybe he dropped from pharmacy manager down to floater so he could reenlist (or whatever the term is). I'll have to check with him next week when I see him again (that way I won't kill anyone because dispensing drugs and talking about some guy's military career are totally the same thing). Or next time I'll just keep my mouth shut instead of trying to be nice. Now that's a teaching moment right there. *sarcasm off*

OK, sarcasm off for me too. I am just frustrated with how difficult it is to get specific answers to military questions.

What exactly is the question? What about being in the Reserve and pharmacy school at the same time? You still do your one weekend a month, two weeks a year.

So those 2 weeks would not overlap with school? What does the 1 weekend a month entail? Thank you for your reply!

What exactly is the question? What about being in the Reserve and pharmacy school at the same time? You still do your one weekend a month, two weeks a year.
Are you in the Reserves? How would you describe your experience? How does being in the Reserves factor in if I wanted to sign up for active duty when I graduate in 2 years.

I'd like to know about your experience as a pharmacist in the Reserves. It would be nice to read any comments you have about a regular day as a pharmacist in the Reserves. Is it a lot like being a hospital pharmacist? Is the management of the techs much different? Can the techs do final verification of dispensed medications?

What is your time commitment to the military and what does your compensation entail?

Any insight would be helpful.

Your responses are out of line. The gentleman in question may be in the reserves or the National Guard. He may no longer be active duty in the Army but may be getting deployed. Or maybe he's in the Ready Reserve....

I'm not sure how someone's slight confusion about military matters equates to killing a patient. Please enlighten us. Nice "teaching moment."

Is anyone in pharmacy school and Army Reserve at the same time. Are you a Pharmacist who is in the Army Reserve? Please share your experiences.

Don't just assume you can sign up. The army and army reserve is very selective, just like it is in the civillian sector. You need to bring some sort of value to be given the honor to serve...