Retail pharmacist trying to do fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RetailPharmacist

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I been a retail pharmacist for 5 year now and thinking about fellowship. How do I prepare or compete with new students ?

Members don't see this ad.

Be able to answer

- Why industry now? Why fellowship and not a full-time, full pay position?
- What area in industry?
- What experience do you have in industry?
- Company specific - Be able to say why you are applying to a particular company. Do you have experience there? Do you know their pipeline? Do you know what therapeutic areas they are focusing on?
- Be ready to talk about transferable skills you can bring over from the retail side. Have you worked on any projects/initiatives with your company?

As far as competition goes, I think the major barrier you will have to overcome is research. A lot of the fellows I know went in with a lot of research experience (especially for HEOR positions). Also, a lot of candidates are coming from rotations in industry or with the FDA so they are in the know about challenges and issues in the industry space. Not to mention they probably are ahead of you in the networking game. Make sure you are reading up and definitely find a way to talk to current fellows of programs you are interested in. You might also want to attend Rutgers FIND event.

Thanks so much for your response.

This year might be too late for me to go cause I am not even prepared.

But I am thinking about going next year. I really want to go to industry and make a career there. I feel like fellowship will be a great learning experience for me to get started there. Contract positions are so hard and they require experience.