Retaining info..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macguy86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to finish the first pass of Taus, and I feel like I have forgotten everything from the beginning with biochem/micro. I understand general concepts, but get many things mixed up.

I will be taking NBME 4 within the next week. I feel like I am going to bomb it because i definitely do not remember the drugs (pharm). I have been scoring 70% with kaplan ~700 questions but only subject specific after going through everything in detail. I feel with a random 50 i would score in the 40-50%.

Everyone is different in terms of retaining info, seems like i may have more issues than others. Any advice/comments?

On the first pass I did not have time to review anything I learned from the previous days. Advice for the 2nd pass?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will remember more than you know. You may not think you remember everything, but the trigger words and the familiar presentation of patients in the question stems will trigger some things for you. Hence the importance of doing questions.

If I were just to say Membranous Glomerulonephropathy, you may not be able to list exactly what causes it, but if the question comes with a picture of a diffusely thickened GBM then you can probably tell me that it's 2nd-ary to SLE/Drugs/Infections/Tumors, etc. (after seeing the choices and eliminating HIV, Impetigo, foot process fusion)

I am about to finish the first pass of Taus, and I feel like I have forgotten everything from the beginning with biochem/micro. I understand general concepts, but get many things mixed up.

I will be taking NBME 4 within the next week. I feel like I am going to bomb it because i definitely do not remember the drugs (pharm). I have been scoring 70% with kaplan ~700 questions but only subject specific after going through everything in detail. I feel with a random 50 i would score in the 40-50%.

Everyone is different in terms of retaining info, seems like i may have more issues than others. Any advice/comments?

On the first pass I did not have time to review anything I learned from the previous days. Advice for the 2nd pass?
I feel the same way, the first pass takes a while so you tend to forget the stuff you looked at in the beginning, but i believe you will retain more during second pass as it will take a shorter time and even more during third pass, so just stick with the plan, and do random questions after the first pass.

My suggestion is that you set aside a certain amount of time to review subjects that you have already studied using FA. Perhaps 1 day/week or 1/2 day every 4 days would be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason there are three passes is to help you retain the information. Nobody retains everything the first time around, unless you have a photographic memory. So don't worry, during your second pass you will feel much less anxious about this and more confident in your memory!

When r u giving your test?
My School studies have prevented me from finishing TAUS for firsst time.
I still got, GI, REPRO, ENDO, and CMMRS to go.