Retake a pre-req at a Community College or Online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay - does it look bad if I take a W for Organic Chemistry I (instead of an F), and then retake it at either a Community College OR at an online 4 year college?

I just can't understand Orgo, and I'm at a superhard (especially in the sciences) top 15 school. I feel like retaking it will end an F once again - the average on his tests is usually in the 50's, and it's curved to a C.

So - I decided I would take it at a CC - but I may not be able to find it offered anywhere at my home college over the summer. So - I found a few ONLINE Orgo classes. They are all fully accredited, and actually from schools that have brick-and-mortar buildings too - North Carolina State, UC Berkeley, University of New England, and University of Oklahoma all have online Organic Chemistry classes.

Will it look bad to take those? It may be my only choice...please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Just shut up and take it at your school. Organic will not be the hardest class you have during your life. You just have to learn to manup and get through it. The rankings mean nothing with it. I was in an organic class with averages in the 45s and 50s and survived. I'm not particularly gifted with organic either. Just take a slightly easier load and constantly study. Organic is a class that you just have to stay on top of all the material. W's aren't the end of the world. Personally, every W I have gotten has eaten away at me and all i wanted to do was go back and prove that I could do it. Get the same fire under you and crank away. Pull out the stops and don't make excuses. Its hard for you but it is hard for the others too.

I meant the shutup in the nicest way possible too. ;)

Honestly, even though I'm positive I'd do badly the second time - there would be a new professor. My university switches the Orgo prof. every once in a while. So it is possible..

Problem - I have other classes for my major that Orgo is a pre-req for (Biochem), and orgo I is only offered in fall at my school. I need to get the classes over with already, they will put me behind if I take them later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to agree with Moss, but I don't think it will affect your app at all if you need to take the class at a CC or online, if your reason is "scheduling/requirement conflicts."

Even if I took it at my school first and got a W?

There's no rule that says you must retake a W at the same school. Just an unwritten one that says that it may or may not look like you couldn't handle the work. That's why I said that if you have a legitimate reason, you should be ready to use it in case it comes up in an interview.

Okay - does it look bad if I take a W for Organic Chemistry I (instead of an F), and then retake it at either a Community College OR at an online 4 year college?

For god's sake use some common sense. A W will not impact your GPA. An F will. Given the choice, I'd take the W anyday. Retake the damn thing.

I just can't understand Orgo, and I'm at a superhard (especially in the sciences) top 15 school.

So go on ratemyprofessor and find an "easier" professor at an "easier" university. I'm quoting because Ochem takes a lot of work wherever you go. I thought you said you were struggling this semester because of family issues? Do not use the top 15 science school excuse. Your GPA will speak louder than your institution.

I feel like retaking it will end an F once again - the average on his tests is usually in the 50's, and it's curved to a C.
That was the average at my state school. It takes a lot of effort to get lower than that. How are you studying? Are you doing problems and still failing? Lots and lots of problems? If the answer is no, then you'll fail the course wherever you take it.

So - I decided I would take it at a CC - but I may not be able to find it offered anywhere at my home college over the summer. So - I found a few ONLINE Orgo classes. They are all fully accredited, and actually from schools that have brick-and-mortar buildings too - North Carolina State, UC Berkeley, University of New England, and University of Oklahoma all have online Organic Chemistry classes.

What about labs? And don't be under the impression that these courses will be easier. I once tutored an Ivy League educated woman in her mid-thirties. She'd taken Ochem before and passed with C's. She wanted to go to pharm school and had to retake Ochem because her prereqs were taken too long ago. So she enrolled in a Ochem I course at a community college. The professor had a habit of giving out B's. "Everything will be gravy," she tells me. "I'm Ivy League educated! I kick ass!" She studied eight hours a week at most. I told her to study more. Final grade: D. Do you know why? No effort.

Will it look bad to take those? It may be my only choice...please help!

You are so dramatic.

retake at a CC and do well in ochem II at your home college. if it comes up, cite scheduling conflict and point out you did well in ochem II.

I withdrew from orgo 2 twice, at 2 different universities, and took it at a third over the summer, wasnt asked a single question about it in any of my interviews (but I did briefly mention it in my personal statement) and I have been accepted to multiple places, just take it where you feel comfortable and make sure you can justify it either in your personal statement or if asked at an interview.