1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Retake class okay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by fujitsux, Dec 21, 2008.

1. fujitsux

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello guys,

I have a question. If i want to retake the classes I got Cs on, is that okay? Can i take them at any community college, or must I take at the same school that I failed? I just graduated, will I be okay retaking undergrad classes, like Gen-chem and O-chem? Please help ...

Thank a lot guys! (I'm scared)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ValeRx

ValeRx PharmD
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You can retake any class you want to. I know people who have retaken Gen Chem. An advisor at the local pharmacy school told us unless you got a D, you don't necessarily have to worry about retaking. They want to see that you can get it right the first time around. I got a C- in Gen Chem I. I asked her if I should retake and she said no. Just depends I guess.

4. fujitsux

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you for your reply.... I always wonder, how do they calculate your GPA? Does it base on the classes we retake or classes we graduated with? Can I still take GE classes to boost my overall GPA even though i had just graduated? Does anyone know the deal?

Thank you all :laugh:

5. CoffeeDose

2+ Year Member

fujitsux,

Yes, you can retake any class at a community college. Just make sure it is transferable. I actually think it's better to retake the classes that you did poorly in, especially if you have a lot of C's. As for the GPA calculation, I know that PharmCAS calculates your overall gpa, meaning they'll include the classes you took for your degree and also the classes taken from other colleges (including retaken courses). Some schools will use your overall gpa while there are others that will take the higher grades (if retaken...which is even better). So it just depends on the school. Hope this helps! :)

6. WhiteSnows

WhiteSnows Think Right and Grow Rich
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I would not recommend you take it at CC if you are already university student. It will not look good that way. In addition, you can always take higher lvl chemistry and do well on them. That looks much better in your transcript.

7. fujitsux

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What do you mean if the classes r transferable? The only reason why I take it at Community is because i don't have to pay for classes. I thought the Pharmcas will grade our GPA base on our classes we (re)took, so it doesn't matter where or when we took them.

Once again, I just graduated, I don't know if my classes that I'm retaking now will matter at all? Do I still have a chance for Pharm school?

8. CoffeeDose

2+ Year Member

fujitsux,

I think transferable classes are the ones that are equivalent to the classes taken at a university. There should be a description of the class at your community college that tells you if it's transferable to university level or not. You can also try www.assist.org and check if it's transferable. If you still can't find out somehow, you can ask the college counselor or call the pharm school that you plan to apply to and ask if they accept that course. I actually have retaken a few science courses (gen. chem and bio) over at a community college after getting my B.S. and they were accepted and included in my overall gpa by PharmCAS. So no worries. Just make sure they are the right classes. Also, do very well in them to show good improvement.:)

9. fujitsux

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    CoffeeDose,

Will taking GE classes boost my overall GPA even though I just graduated? Or will they not take that in consideration? The reason why I asked this is because I'm about to take this GE class in winter session and I don't know if it will count toward my overall GPA or not. So i'm really confused...

Thankx

10. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Most pharmd schools calculate a cumulative gpa (overall) and a pre-req gpa (usually sci/math), so padding your gpa will help your overall but it won't help your sci/math gpa. Most schools will heavily weigh the sci/math gpa over your cumulative, but then again, that depends on the school you are applying to. You need to calculate and see what types of improvements to your gpa if you were to pad it or if you were to retake classes.

11. fujitsux

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm determined to be a pharmacist, but i see obstacles b/c i didn't try hard enough when i was doing my undergrad. Now I'm paying but I will keep fighting..thank guys =] . Any other suggestions/tips/comments for me =?

12. CoffeeDose

2+ Year Member

You can improve your overall gpa by taking a bunch of humanities or social sciences classes. A lot of pharm schools require them anyway. To improve your sci/math gpa, you can just retake the ones you did poorly in b4 or take some new upper division courses (like genetics, biochem, etc.). As long as you show a positive trend in your grades, your chances will be better. :)