Retake MCAT (applying later in cycle) or apply now with current stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnp21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-Cum GPA: 3.9
-Science/Math GPA: 3.9
-MCAT: 502

Any suggestions about whether I should apply now, and if so what schools would accept my stats, would be very helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like you have a great app going for you except the MCAT... i'd definitely retake it. I'd apply now because TMDSAS is open already and you can get verified which takes some time and you might even get an interview with the less than stellar MCAT. Just have your new MCAT score sent to the schools along with an email asap. You need to kill the MCAT though. why did you score so low on the first?

I like @gonnif 's "summer cascade" term:
Retaking a bad MCAT in the same cycle with the intention of applying late in the cycle, without a clear understanding of what the issues are for your bad performance and fixing those issue, is not only a bad idea for current application, but can affect future applications by compounding 1 poor MCAT score with another. I call this the "Summer Cascade"

If you're sure you can do better, with the added stress of filling out the primary/secondary, then since your other stats are in good order, august wouldn't be a death sentence.