retakes after today's disaster?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else retaking?

Aug 9th for me...

I'm not devastated, i just know i dont have a shot in h#$% with this score...

Members don't see this ad.

JULY 27th.

I actually did well on science sections (12s), but i got 6 on a verbal................wat the hell.

Im upset...

But I am starting to get excited and motivated for July 24th. Im going to start studying Monday.

I was so upset, I blubbered like a baby. I'm retaking June 15, if I feel ready by then.

Members don't see this ad :)
The verbal did me in as well... I am planning to re-take (haven't yet picked a date). I have a question about application timelines - if you submit your AMCAS with your current score and note that you will re-take, will schools hold your application until they get the second score?

Arg. This is so disappointing.

i'm in the same boat as you guys. i got a 10P, 7V (ugh), 10B, T on the 4/12 test. i'm signed up for the 7/13 retake but i just came back from talking to my advisor about it and she told me not to even bother retaking since it's going to be hard to improve your score in 2 months. is this true? she even said that my score could drop by 2 points in any given category and that the verbal section is the hardest section to make an improvement in. i was consistently scoring 32-36 on the AAMC practice tests, so i'm not really sure what happened on the exam. i'm devastated :(

How many times has your advisor sat for the MCAT?

i'm in the same boat as you guys. i got a 10P, 7V (ugh), 10B, T on the 4/12 test. i'm signed up for the 7/13 retake but i just came back from talking to my advisor about it and she told me not to even bother retaking since it's going to be hard to improve your score in 2 months. is this true? she even said that my score could drop by 2 points in any given category and that the verbal section is the hardest section to make an improvement in. i was consistently scoring 32-36 on the AAMC practice tests, so i'm not really sure what happened on the exam. i'm devastated :(

it sounds like your advisor's assumption was either (1) that your practice test score claim is untrue or (2) that it was the result of multiple consecutive flukes.

since you know (1) is false and [hopefully] that (2) is ridiculous, then just retake it. good luck!

Based on your AAMC practice scores, I would say that you have a bad advisor. Also, in two months, you can increase your score as well. It is true verbal probably is the hardest to jump in, but I think the pressure of the day had an effect on the real deal as well.

I found that if I remember I can retake the exam and to take in oxygen, then I can focus on the test at hand. I also like to close my eyes during the breaks and give myself a couple of relaxation minutes and eye rest.

Retake the test! Beat that MCAT!!

Yeah, your advisor should find a new job. You can definitely increase your score in two months. You just have to stay motivated and study study study.

it could always be worse... I consistently worked up many practice tests to the 29-31 range, and then only got a 23Q on test... Which would make it the lowest full length (practice or real) that I have ever taken...i guess I should be happy with the Q right? :confused: :confused: :confused:

can anyone answer this question?

I think it depends. As far as secondaries go, most schools will send them off to you as soon as you're AMCAS verified. There's only a handful that screen for secondaries, and even these schools may give you secondaries depending on how good/bad you did on your previous MCAT. Once you've submitted all supplemental application materials, the schools probably won't decide to give you an interview until your new MCAT scores are in. Again though, if your previous MCAT score was good enough, then you may get interviews before your new MCAT scores are released.

i'm still waiting for my MSAR to come in the mail, but does it say which schools screen for secondaries in there?

Members don't see this ad :)
The verbal did me in as well... I am planning to re-take (haven't yet picked a date). I have a question about application timelines - if you submit your AMCAS with your current score and note that you will re-take, will schools hold your application until they get the second score?

Arg. This is so disappointing.

think it depends on the school. a few i've talked to say they generally aren't that far ahead in apps, so as long as you retake by sept, it shouldn't affect deadlines.

it could always be worse... I consistently worked up many practice tests to the 29-31 range, and then only got a 23Q on test... Which would make it the lowest full length (practice or real) that I have ever taken...i guess I should be happy with the Q right? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds very similar to me.. 22Q (my practices werent quite that high tho). At least we can write... :laugh: :laugh: gotta find some humor in it.

Hang in there, we got this next time.

:laugh:
How many times has your advisor sat for the MCAT?

hahaha. I sooo needed this. My advisor can be... challenging... at times. :laugh:

The physicians i've been shadowing weren't shocked at all that i needed a retake... one of them that's been practicing for a really long time said she can't even remember how many times she took it.. and the younger guy took it 3 times. We had a little cupcake during a endo today to "celebrate" my 22. They were proud!

In other words, listen to the folks that will support you, and listen to your advisor just enough to get what you need and get those LORs

:laugh:

hahaha. I sooo needed this. My advisor can be... challenging... at times. :laugh:

The physicians i've been shadowing weren't shocked at all that i needed a retake... one of them that's been practicing for a really long time said she can't even remember how many times she took it.. and the younger guy took it 3 times. We had a little cupcake during a endo today to "celebrate" my 22. They were proud!

In other words, listen to the folks that will support you, and listen to your advisor just enough to get what you need and get those LORs

what i've learned thus far is: **** everyone else, their statistics, etc. I went from a 21P to a 28P...you'll never be happy, that's just the way it is, but you can be satisfied....Just hit those books hard. Physical sciences is my achillies heel, gen chem in particular as I took it at a CC, did no work, and ended up with an A without ever even learning a damn thing...

what i've learned thus far is: **** everyone else, their statistics, etc. I went from a 21P to a 28P...you'll never be happy, that's just the way it is, but you can be satisfied....Just hit those books hard. Physical sciences is my achillies heel, gen chem in particular as I took it at a CC, did no work, and ended up with an A without ever even learning a damn thing...

Inspirational :) Did you only retake once to get the 7pt increase?

august 20th for me....i need to get a solid routine down....i really wanna do everything i possibly can

I hit the average for DO schools. My gpa is above avg, so Im hoping/praying that I dont have to take it again. I dont have any current plans to take the beast again, only to apply early and Im hopin for some interviews.

So I found out that most schools generally hold your application for your score. In fact, one school indicates that applications will not be reviewed again after a second score is released during the application cycle. The question of the year is: do you roll in early or wait for another score?

Upon further discussion with my advisor, I think I'm going to go with what I have and apply early and broadly. I have expired MCAT scores that are balanced (w/ 10+ VR scores) and hopefully adcoms won't think I'm a total verbal flunkie.

Good luck to all re-takers!!

When you say they hold your application for your score, do you mean that they won't give out the secondary application until they receive your new score and put you way behind the application cycle, or do you mean that they won't start looking at your complete application packet until your new score is released? I'm signed up for the 7/13 retake, so I was hoping that I could still turn in my AMCAS primary app in June then start working on secondaries in July so that they would have my new score by the time I start working on/completing secondaries and the rec letters and other supp materials start rolling in. I guess this isn't the case though. This is so frustrating.

When you say they hold your application for your score, do you mean that they won't give out the secondary application until they receive your new score and put you way behind the application cycle, or do you mean that they won't start looking at your complete application packet until your new score is released? I'm signed up for the 7/13 retake, so I was hoping that I could still turn in my AMCAS primary app in June then start working on secondaries in July so that they would have my new score by the time I start working on/completing secondaries and the rec letters and other supp materials start rolling in. I guess this isn't the case though. This is so frustrating.

check your individual schools. I'm still appplying now.

Yeah, it's best to check with individual schools. G-town, for example, doesn't review a second MCAT score once you are complete (assuming you didn't mark on your primary that you were taking the test again). If you mark that re-take box - schools will hold review of your application.

As for secondaries: some secondaries are released without AMCAS verification; I don't know which schools do and which ones don't.

I'm going with my gut instinct and turning around secondaries within 2-3 days of receipt and focus on prepping for interviews (however slim) I may receive. Waiting for re-take scores may be more detrimental than helpful for me. I am a non-trad with a mediocre UGPA. Timing will likely be everything for my application.

Yeah, it's best to check with individual schools. G-town, for example, doesn't review a second MCAT score once you are complete (assuming you didn't mark on your primary that you were taking the test again). If you mark that re-take box - schools will hold review of your application.

As for secondaries: some secondaries are released without AMCAS verification; I don't know which schools do and which ones don't.

I'm going with my gut instinct and turning around secondaries within 2-3 days of receipt and focus on prepping for interviews (however slim) I may receive. Waiting for re-take scores may be more detrimental than helpful for me. I am a non-trad with a mediocre UGPA. Timing will likely be everything for my application.

Got ya. My shot with THIS MCAT is fairly minimal, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to get a few interviews if I can add a few points to it (and I know I can). That's why I'm waiting it out.