Retakes vs post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaBeta<3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is it that retaking a class to get a higher grade is looked down on, but post bacs to get higher grades are positive? What sense does this make?

Members don't see this ad.

What you're saying isn't necessarily true. But if you score a C in a class, rather than retake it, you could just keep plowing forward and take some of the upper level classes and raise the GPA that way. SO if you get a C in orgo 1, rather than waste time and money retaking it, do well in orgo 2, biochem 1, and biochem 2. It'll look good

But if you score lower than a C I think you shuold retake the class

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if I'm completely right here, but here's what I think. When you retake a class you better get an A, you've already seen that material and have an idea of what is being tested on! Post bac is at the graduate level, so the classes should more difficult, time intensive, etc., than undergraduate classes.

Side note: Remember only DO schools will replace a retake grade, MD schools will essentially average the two grades. If you received a C and then later got an A is the same as getting two Bs for MD schools. So in that sense, it makes more sense to just move on and do well in other classes (undergraduate or graduate) to boost GPA.

As a post-bac student, one either takes upper division undergraduate level biology courses to improve a mediocre sGPA or are taking the pre-reqs for the first time. Getting high grades in difficult science courses is great, especially if you have a history of performing poorly in the lower division science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
As a post-bac student, one either takes upper division undergraduate level biology courses to improve a mediocre sGPA or are taking the pre-reqs for the first time. Getting high grades in difficult science courses is great, especially if you have a history of performing poorly in the lower division science courses.
Thanks for correcting me! I was running on little sleep lol idk why but I confused post-bacc with graduate program

Reactions: 1 user