Retaking a 506 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tansky

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to retake a 506. I just got the results back and it was 128/124/127/127. Obviously, I bombed the CARS section. Previously, I used the Kaplan self study prep at it was terrible so I just quit using it. I went through the Kaplan books several times, completed all of UWorld, and finished all of the AAMC material (practice tests ranged from 509-514 AAMC, 490-507 on Kaplan FLS which I started with). To be honest, I felt that content wise I was in a great spot, I believe there were only 1-2 questions that I did not know the formula to and in the Psych section I knew every term (which baffles me that I didn't do better so I must have misread or something) . On test day, I had extreme anxiety and test fatigue. Right before my test I yakked all over the parking lot at the exam center. It was rough.

Going forward, I will be working a fulltime job while studying so I will only have a few hours a day to study. I plan on going through the Kaplan books again, Uworld, and aamc material. I am going to start studying again probably in January as I do not want to burn myself out because I just came off of 2-3 months of studying. I exercise every day, eat right, and though I have trouble sleeping I try to get 8 hours. I plan on picking up meditation to help with the nerves.

What advice do you folks have moving forward? What kind of schedule would be best if I were to work every day from 8-5? Any and all is appreciated and thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
About 512
Wow that's a 6 point drop from your average on test day, that sucks. Yea, it definitely sounds like your nerves got the best of you so I do think meditation would work out great for your retake and a 512 does not indicate issues with content in my opinion.

On days that I worked, I would come home and relax for an hour or two before diving into studying. I would typically study for 2-4 hours on those days. If I was you I would try studying 2-4 hours M-F, take Saturday off and study for 6-8 hours on Sunday. You will also need to use Sunday for practice exams. To be honest though, it would be best if you only worked part-time because it is going to be difficult to study working full-time and the last thing you want is a similar or lower score than your first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's a 6 point drop from your average on test day, that sucks. Yea, it definitely sounds like your nerves got the best of you so I do think meditation would work out great for your retake and a 512 does not indicate issues with content in my opinion.

On days that I worked, I would come home and relax for an hour or two before diving into studying. I would typically study for 2-4 hours on those days. If I was you I would try studying 2-4 hours M-F, take Saturday off and study for 6-8 hours on Sunday. You will also need to use Sunday for practice exams. To be honest though, it would be best if you only worked part-time because it is going to be difficult to study working full-time and the last thing you want is a similar or lower score than your first.
I am thinking about following something similar. A few hours at night, every night and a practice exam on the weekend. I don't think it will be the worst thing because I already have a strong content base and I will be giving myself plenty of time. I freaked out way too much for the exam I mean I don't think its normal to get sick in the parking lot right before your test lol. The job I am working I think is too good to pass up as it is paid research at a genetics lab and the money will be nice.

I appreciate the input man. I am kind of worried about burnout as I will be waking up at around 4:40 to workout and grinding all day but I feel that the grind is good for you.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Doing the same thing over again and expecting better results makes no sense. You said you knew all the formulas and psych definitions, but hopefully after taking the MCAT you realize that 'knowing' facts doesn't cut it. You have to be able to apply what you know, mix different topics, and deduce what a passage is telling you about something you've never seen before.

Look at the SDN 100-day plan, the universal study plan, or any of the other study plans and see what materials they recommend. You need different materials for each section and most of all, you need to do passages rather than read or watch videos. You got this!

Reactions: 1 users
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Doing the same thing over again and expecting better results makes no sense. You said you knew all the formulas and psych definitions, but hopefully after taking the MCAT you realize that 'knowing' facts doesn't cut it. You have to be able to apply what you know, mix different topics, and deduce what a passage is telling you about something you've never seen before.

Look at the SDN 100-day plan, the universal study plan, or any of the other study plans and see what materials they recommend. You need different materials for each section and most of all, you need to do passages rather than read or watch videos. You got this!
As I said I dont think it was a content issue, more of a fatigue and anxiety issue. I plan on doing more practice material in test like conditions, and for content review only go through the books once more with notes and going through Uworld again. I never did anki decks so i may try those as well. Definently going to practice CARS more but I think that goes without saying. I appreciate the input though!

Have you tried ExamKrackers? The study package is under $200 and well worth the money. Don't recommend Anki.

If you can't bring your score up on the FLs I'd recommend taking an official Kaplan or Princeton Review course (may be impacted by COVID, but the pressure to arrive in class may help you stay motivated).

Good luck buddy

Last edited: