retaking-AAAAAAHHHHHH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. i still don't want to believe the reality of this post but maybetyping it will make me face the truth. i will be retaking the MONSTER in april since i got a 25. would like to know 2 things. i am not yet ready to study, but thought i would get audio osmosis to keep my brain mcat oriented. i want to know what people thought of this product and if someone has a copy to sell. also, what did u think of EK Verbal? i am also thinking of subscribing to the Scientific American. i got a 9 on verbal but should have done better as i speed read and was a lit major ( i got an O in writing, how funny is that?). those annoying nat science passages always get me. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Examkrackers VR method may clash with your own, as they do not recommend speed reading. If you got a 9 on VR, and a 25 composite I would put the effort into raising your sci scores first. I highly recommend Audio Osmosis. Try Ebay, there are serveral copies on sale right now.

Scientific American is good for cocktail party conversation too!

Good luck

Scientific American is a good magazine to read--I think it's about at the level of the bio passages you'll encounter. It'll help you in both areas.

I can't recommend AudioOsmosis, despite the fact that I do have a copy to sell. The test is visual, so there's no reason to think that an auditory review would be very helpful. At least, I didn't find it so. It's a good aid when used in conjunction with the EK subject books. But it's awfully expensive for the benefit gained over just the books alone.

I did not actually study for verbal at all. However, I'm aware that the "strategy" I used is remarkably similar to the one taught by Examkrackers in that I do the passages in order, reading for main ideas rather than details. I don't circle stuff or anything like that.

What I do that's a little different, and that made verbal easy for me was to read the passages as though I were reading for pleasure--to have an attitude like, "OK here's a topic I probably know nothing about, but that's kind of interesting. Let's see what it says." --Completely forgetting about the fact that there are questions to answer at the end. Then when I get to the questions, I find that I know the passage much better, and can answer them quickly.

I know it's kind of dorky, but making yourself interested in each passage as you go along makes the whole section far more pleasant.