1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

retaking-AAAAAAHHHHHH

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Su4n2, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi everyone. i still don't want to believe the reality of this post but maybetyping it will make me face the truth. i will be retaking the MONSTER in april since i got a 25. would like to know 2 things. i am not yet ready to study, but thought i would get audio osmosis to keep my brain mcat oriented. i want to know what people thought of this product and if someone has a copy to sell. also, what did u think of EK Verbal? i am also thinking of subscribing to the Scientific American. i got a 9 on verbal but should have done better as i speed read and was a lit major ( i got an O in writing, how funny is that?). those annoying nat science passages always get me. thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. isidella

7+ Year Member

Examkrackers VR method may clash with your own, as they do not recommend speed reading. If you got a 9 on VR, and a 25 composite I would put the effort into raising your sci scores first. I highly recommend Audio Osmosis. Try Ebay, there are serveral copies on sale right now.

Scientific American is good for cocktail party conversation too!

Good luck

4. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Scientific American is a good magazine to read--I think it's about at the level of the bio passages you'll encounter. It'll help you in both areas.

I can't recommend AudioOsmosis, despite the fact that I do have a copy to sell. The test is visual, so there's no reason to think that an auditory review would be very helpful. At least, I didn't find it so. It's a good aid when used in conjunction with the EK subject books. But it's awfully expensive for the benefit gained over just the books alone.

I did not actually study for verbal at all. However, I'm aware that the "strategy" I used is remarkably similar to the one taught by Examkrackers in that I do the passages in order, reading for main ideas rather than details. I don't circle stuff or anything like that.

What I do that's a little different, and that made verbal easy for me was to read the passages as though I were reading for pleasure--to have an attitude like, "OK here's a topic I probably know nothing about, but that's kind of interesting. Let's see what it says." --Completely forgetting about the fact that there are questions to answer at the end. Then when I get to the questions, I find that I know the passage much better, and can answer them quickly.

I know it's kind of dorky, but making yourself interested in each passage as you go along makes the whole section far more pleasant.