1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

retaking chemistry after withdrawing

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by esquia, Nov 16, 2005.

1. esquia

esquia esquia
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Okay visualize this:

I took chemistry in the summer for a few weeks and ended up withdrawing earning me a 'W' on my transcript (not negative in GPA factoring). I'm taking chemistry now (same class, 1210/general chem 1) and will get a decent grade out of it. However, I will be leaving on my mission in May and so I was thinking rather than jump into 1220/general chem 2 after two years of not having chemistry I would retake 1210 and get an A this time around as well as a refresher having not taken it for 2 years.

So what do you think would be better?

1) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210, retaking it and getting A. So that's chem 1210 three times on my transcript. Then take 1220 and getting an A because of having recently taken 1210 again.

or

2) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210 and going into 1220 possibly getting not as good as grade as I could have because of a poor 'C' foundation in 1210 two years ago.

I guess my overall question is this: is getting a W, a C, and then an A in the same class just too dang much? Would I be better to take the W, C and just move on.

2. rinse-n-spit

rinse-n-spit Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Why don't you take the second half of chemistry before you leave in May and have the entire year done before your mission?

3. esquia

esquia esquia
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    because then I'd have to start organic after 2 years of not having chemistry when I got back.

4. rinse-n-spit

rinse-n-spit Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Sure that could be a problem, but I don't think the equations and mathematics of gen chem really prepare anybody for organic chem. I can't say that withdraws look all that bad on an application, but I'm sure it causes adcoms to question why you withdrew. Then again if you do only get a C this semester taking the class over would probably be very beneficial. I guess I would say if you get a C take the entire year after your mission. If you get a grade that you can live with than take the second half and be done. I would rather have the 2 year break between gen chem and organic, than the gen chem semesters.

5. esquia

esquia esquia
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yah true true - thanks for your help.

I emailed a couple schools and they all said to retake it because an A will always look better than a C. Only one school (Creighton) said that if I got a C or higher not to retake it.