retaking chemistry after withdrawing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esquia

esquia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay visualize this:

I took chemistry in the summer for a few weeks and ended up withdrawing earning me a 'W' on my transcript (not negative in GPA factoring). I'm taking chemistry now (same class, 1210/general chem 1) and will get a decent grade out of it. However, I will be leaving on my mission in May and so I was thinking rather than jump into 1220/general chem 2 after two years of not having chemistry I would retake 1210 and get an A this time around as well as a refresher having not taken it for 2 years.

So what do you think would be better?

1) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210, retaking it and getting A. So that's chem 1210 three times on my transcript. Then take 1220 and getting an A because of having recently taken 1210 again.

or

2) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210 and going into 1220 possibly getting not as good as grade as I could have because of a poor 'C' foundation in 1210 two years ago.

I guess my overall question is this: is getting a W, a C, and then an A in the same class just too dang much? Would I be better to take the W, C and just move on.

Members don't see this ad.

esquia said:
Okay visualize this:

I took chemistry in the summer for a few weeks and ended up withdrawing earning me a 'W' on my transcript (not negative in GPA factoring). I'm taking chemistry now (same class, 1210/general chem 1) and will get a decent grade out of it. However, I will be leaving on my mission in May and so I was thinking rather than jump into 1220/general chem 2 after two years of not having chemistry I would retake 1210 and get an A this time around as well as a refresher having not taken it for 2 years.

So what do you think would be better?

1) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210, retaking it and getting A. So that's chem 1210 three times on my transcript. Then take 1220 and getting an A because of having recently taken 1210 again.

or

2) having a 'W' in chem 1210. Getting a C in 1210 and going into 1220 possibly getting not as good as grade as I could have because of a poor 'C' foundation in 1210 two years ago.

I guess my overall question is this: is getting a W, a C, and then an A in the same class just too dang much? Would I be better to take the W, C and just move on.

Why don't you take the second half of chemistry before you leave in May and have the entire year done before your mission?

because then I'd have to start organic after 2 years of not having chemistry when I got back.

Members don't see this ad :)
esquia said:
because then I'd have to start organic after 2 years of not having chemistry when I got back.

Sure that could be a problem, but I don't think the equations and mathematics of gen chem really prepare anybody for organic chem. I can't say that withdraws look all that bad on an application, but I'm sure it causes adcoms to question why you withdrew. Then again if you do only get a C this semester taking the class over would probably be very beneficial. I guess I would say if you get a C take the entire year after your mission. If you get a grade that you can live with than take the second half and be done. I would rather have the 2 year break between gen chem and organic, than the gen chem semesters.

yah true true - thanks for your help.

I emailed a couple schools and they all said to retake it because an A will always look better than a C. Only one school (Creighton) said that if I got a C or higher not to retake it.