Retaking Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xSouped

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a handful of pre-req courses I want to retake since I received a C or even a D in.

Currently I am taking Anat/Phys I for the first time and I am struggling more on the anatomy than in physiology. Not sure if that makes sense so a better way to look at it is as for the grading scale, the lecture is mainly physio and the lab is mainly anat. I am doing great in the lecture but my lab is not up to par with it thus dropping my grade. Right now I have a C when the grades are combined.

I have gotten a D in Chem II, a C in Chem I, and a C in Bio I.

I am currently a second year.

I still have yet to take Anat/Phys II, Physics, Psych, and another Bio course w/ lab.

Would retaking all the courses I got a C or wore in make it look bad on me or better that I went back to fix it? As of now that's already 3 courses and if I end up adding Anat/Phys to it that's already 4.

At the moment, I really want to go in to PT. But I am starting to rethink and doubt myself and maybe going and just receiving my bachelors in Kines-Exercise Science would be a better decision for me and I can graduate early with just my bachelors and perhaps go maybe into some form of recreational therapy and if I want to later on, I can come back and try to go into PT. But next to that, I also don't really know what else to do with a degree in kinesiology that I am fond of.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a handful of pre-req courses I want to retake since I received a C or even a D in.

Currently I am taking Anat/Phys I for the first time and I am struggling more on the anatomy than in physiology. Not sure if that makes sense so a better way to look at it is as for the grading scale, the lecture is mainly physio and the lab is mainly anat. I am doing great in the lecture but my lab is not up to par with it thus dropping my grade. Right now I have a C when the grades are combined.

I have gotten a D in Chem II, a C in Chem I, and a C in Bio I.

I am currently a second year.

I still have yet to take Anat/Phys II, Physics, Psych, and another Bio course w/ lab.

Would retaking all the courses I got a C or wore in make it look bad on me or better that I went back to fix it? As of now that's already 3 courses and if I end up adding Anat/Phys to it that's already 4.

At the moment, I really want to go in to PT. But I am starting to rethink and doubt myself and maybe going and just receiving my bachelors in Kines-Exercise Science would be a better decision for me and I can graduate early with just my bachelors and perhaps go maybe into some form of recreational therapy and if I want to later on, I can come back and try to go into PT. But next to that, I also don't really know what else to do with a degree in kinesiology that I am fond of.

There a few things to consider:
1. The number of units your taking per semester. If you are taking a full course load with pre rec classes then you should reconsider just focusing on your under division/ general ed classes first then going back and finishing your pre rec classes by themselves.

2. How are your studying methods. Are you doing everything you can such as going to tutoring and talking to your professors to get that extra help you need. Because if you aren’t then you need to start doing that.

3. Consider taking your pre rec classes at a community college.

4. Consider switching your major. You don’t necessarily need a Kines or Bio degree to get into PT school. A lot of people get a psych or soc degree just so they can have a higher GPA.

If you have only revived C and D then it’s going to be extremely tough to get into PT school. But You can totally do it, you just have to be willing to sacrifice. Also PTCAS averages the classes you retake so it will effect your overall GPA. As of right now I would try to drop A&P since that is the class most programs really look at. A W doesn’t effect your GPA.

Here's my reply to someone who also lacked confidence about the strength of their application:

"If you can sell yourself as an applicant and convey your rising motivation in the way of consistently improving grades, then you stand a chance. I just got into my #1 program and here's my background:

6 dropped classes, including precalculus and Physics 1. 'D' in Gen Chem 1. Retook Gen Chem 1 and received a 'C'. 'F' in Gen Chem 2. Retook Gen Chem 2 and got an 'A'. 'C' in A&P 1. Retook A&P1 and got an 'A'. On top of all of that, I graduated with an overall GPA of 3.23 and a "best attempt" prerequisite GPA of ~3.4. I did many of my retakes this past summer after graduating. I ended up completing 14 credit hours in one summer and receiving an 'A' in all 4 courses.

However, I did perform above average on the GRE. My last 60 credit hour GPA was 3.74. Also, my undergrad university was quite rigorous, which may have helped.

Outside of grades, I worked as a rehab aide for 2 years, volunteered a crap ton in different areas besides PT, and wrote a pretty good essay, if I do say so myself.

As far as your question about being a rehab aide versus volunteering, be aware that, though being an aide offers valuable experience to you and your application, volunteering for 30 hours in 5 different PT settings is arguably better than 1,000 hours in one setting as an aide.

Moral of the story-- don't give up if you're passionate about physical therapy. As long as you show tangible proof of your willingness to improve and work hard as a student, there's a program out there willing to take a chance on you."

Also, in my opinion, don't just finish out that kinesiology degree and plan on finding work with it. Much like being pre-med or pre-law, a kinesiology is essentially just a pre-pt degree and will be of little to no service to you except preparing you for PT school. Don't think that just because you've had a rough start that you can't get back on track and get into PT school. It's definitely possible. If you do decide PT isn't for you, though, I would recommend a more utilitarian approach to your bachelors degree, such as business or engineering, to make sure you can work after graduation. Then, you can always come back to PT from there. But that kinesiology degree, again, will not be good to you if you're expecting to find work with it.

There a few things to consider:
1. The number of units your taking per semester. If you are taking a full course load with pre rec classes then you should reconsider just focusing on your under division/ general ed classes first then going back and finishing your pre rec classes by themselves.

2. How are your studying methods. Are you doing everything you can such as going to tutoring and talking to your professors to get that extra help you need. Because if you aren’t then you need to start doing that.

3. Consider taking your pre rec classes at a community college.

4. Consider switching your major. You don’t necessarily need a Kines or Bio degree to get into PT school. A lot of people get a psych or soc degree just so they can have a higher GPA.

If you have only revived C and D then it’s going to be extremely tough to get into PT school. But You can totally do it, you just have to be willing to sacrifice. Also PTCAS averages the classes you retake so it will effect your overall GPA. As of right now I would try to drop A&P since that is the class most programs really look at. A W doesn’t effect your GPA.

Okay so after talking with my advisor for kinesiology I am thinking of just switching into business and not going on a pre-PT path. Would you still recommend me trying to drop and get a W for A&P or should I just keep pushing on and trying to maintain a C or higher?

Members don't see this ad :)
You really need to decide if you truly want to pursue a career in PT. Do some shadowing if you haven't, see a variety of settings and see if it is meant for you. The great thing about PT is that there are so many avenues you can go into (inpatient, outpatient, aquatic, pediatrics, geriatrics, etc.) If you find a pathway that you are really passionate about, go after it. I started off at a community college after high school and it took me some time to find a career path that really peaked my interests and also begin applying myself. Initially, I had no game plan and was giving very little effort to my education. Once I found PT, something clicked within me and I started giving my all with everything I do/did. At the end of the day I wanted a career that allowed me to be involved in fitness/athletics and help others lead happier/healthier lives. Sacrifices will have to be made and with the competitive nature of the field, you have to have a disciplined/ determined mindset to do whatever it takes to achieve great grades and grow as a person. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Kinesiology and Rehab Science and although the material covered throughout the curriculum is challenging, it teaches you about topics that are closely related to PT. Additionally, PT school is rigorous so you need to push yourself to be better prepared. If you want it bad enough it doesn't matter what major, courses, etc come your way. I would retake the courses you have underperformed in and buckle down to get A's in your remaining classes.

Okay so after talking with my advisor for kinesiology I am thinking of just switching into business and not going on a pre-PT path. Would you still recommend me trying to drop and get a W for A&P or should I just keep pushing on and trying to maintain a C or higher?

Don’t get me wrong Kinesiology is a great major. I got my degree in that but if you’re struggling now and it’s barely your second year then it is only going to get tougher. You have to do what is best for you and what is going to give you the best GPA. Because it is a lot easier having great stats and having options for cheaper schools then having bad stats and stressing about getting into more expensive schools.

Drop with a W! Because a W doesn’t effect your GPA. Don’t feel like you have to rush your classes. That is a lot of people’s downfall they rush and cram everything then they end up with horrible stats. Space it out so that you take your pre rec classes alone. I did it to where I took 2 pre rec classes by itself per semester.