Retaking Dat!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredds

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I hope someone could share experiences about Retaking DAT. I found it extremely hard to study for it again..it was a nightmare for the first time...any word of encouragement would be greatly appreciated...I feel so hopeless right now..

Members don't see this ad.

Don't feel hopeless. These things happen. You should sit down and re-evaluate your weak areas and focus on those aspects the most. Once you get that down, everything should come together.

I know it's hard to re-study something again, but as long as you're determined to be a dentist something like this should only make you more eager to re-study. Good luck.

I am in the process of retaking and I also find it very difficult.
It is especially hard since I am taking courses full time while studying for the DATS. When did you first take the DATS?
I took mine in august and I just started going over the Organic Chemistry. I found that it is actually quite simple because you remember a lot of the material from last time. I bet the other subjects will not be so hard either. This is your second time so everything is easier!
Just keep remembering that you want to get into dental school and this is just another step along the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks alot for your encouragement...I am also taking a class called Three Dimension Design, I think it would help to improve my PAT score, since it is my weakest area...

Beagle, when are you retaking the DAT for NYU? Do you know the deadline to turn in the score for the second time....Good luck to you.

futuredds,

i was also told to retake the DAT at NYU interview.. and mine is scheduled for feb 8th, but i am too lazy to study again...

as regards to the deadline (sorry Beagle) sooner you get it into the schools, more chance you have. the 3rd round of acceptance letters are going out around Feb 17... so you want to take your exam and fax them the results before then. remember to give them some time to review your file before that day...

the good thing about NYU is that they wont fill up all their seats by the 3rd round of acceptance letters (unlike other schools who are 2/3 full right now) they also take many people from their waiting list... so no worries there if you do good second time...

good luck to everyone,

Comet

Gosh, I am trying to delay my DATS as much as possible.
I do not know what the deadline for NYU is, but I remember Amy Knowles telling me I could take them in March if I wanted.
I know the deadline for USC is March 1st. So---my guess is I will take them on February 17th. If I am really not prepared I will wait until March 1st to take them.
When do you plan on retaking them Futuredds?
And Comet---are you going to retake it anymore?
Thanks for the advice!
BEaGLE

Beagle,

I probably retake sometimes in February. How is your study progress...You're not alone..

Comet28,

So they told you to retake the DAT before your interview ? They didn't directly tell me to retake the Dat. I received a letter saying that I was put on the waiting list. Then I called Amy to ask her about her opinions to increase my chances. She told me that it would help to retake the Dat.

FutureDDS,

they told me to retake teh DAT DURING my interview...i wonder how they can put you on a waitlist when the class is not full yet... i thought thats the purpose of the waitlist. in that case...i need to hit the books yet, since i have not even opened them yet!!!

good luck to you,

COMET!

Comet
I have been waitlisted at a few schools even though the classes are not filled up yet. OH well, it's better than being rejected right?
I just started re-reviewing my GChem yesterday and I am so frustrated with it. I don't remember a single thing from Gchem. I got a 16 in this subject on the DATS. I feel like this time around I am going to get a 12. I can't believe we have to re-learn this stuff.
When do you take the DATs over again futuredds?
How is Dat studying comming along for you?
BEAGLE